• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it seems to me that the US is the least sharp team i've seen so far. the South Koreans, Nigerians, Argentines, and Brits all seem to be able to handle and pass the ball to a moving target with no difficulty, and their offensive attacks always go forward.

the US players seem to get routinely stripped of the ball, pass the ball out of bounds (two pretty infuriating sequences when a wing was coming with a full head of steam and the pass from the center went behind them), and the aforementioned backpassing (even while they were deep into English territory)

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So tense, and ultimately anti-climactic. Someone teach the US how to get in the box.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Guess that's not going to happen either.

lol Actualy I meant 2 - 1 for England, it was my prediction for the pool.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is it they are using this African style music for the TV transitions? Did they use polka music for the WC in Germany? Or Asian-style music when it was held in Japan/Korea?

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
So tense, and ultimately anti-climactic. Someone teach the US how to get in the box.

I guess you didn't see France match yesterday.
facepalm.gif
And they didn't play against England.
Also Donovan can teach some move to Ribery and Govou!!!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ended at tie?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the typical problems on the defense, I think the US played pretty well. I think the result was a fair one.

And Jozy damn near had one there.

I have no idea what Algeria or Slovenia are like, but from what everyone's said, it seems they aren't to good. Maybe we have a real shot at the second round.

b

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
it seems to me that the US is the least sharp team i've seen so far. the South Koreans, Nigerians, Argentines, and Brits all seem to be able to handle and pass the ball to a moving target with no difficulty, and their offensive attacks always go forward.

the US players seem to get routinely stripped of the ball, pass the ball out of bounds (two pretty infuriating sequences when a wing was coming with a full head of steam and the pass from the center went behind them), and the aforementioned backpassing (even while they were deep into English territory)

This is what I was saying earlier.... Their first tocuh on the ball is always crap.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Aside from the typical problems on the defense, I think the US played pretty well. I think the result was a fair one.

I have no idea what Algeria or Slovenia are like, but from what everyone's said, it seems they aren't to good. Maybe we have a real shot at the second round.

b

algeria is good, sawa them play egypt

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awful performance by the Brits. Just awful. They can consider theirselves lucky that the didn't play against a more dangerous team today. I don't want to jump the gun, since it was only the first group game, but that's definitely not an English team to be afraid of ( so far ). See you in the last 16 round...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
lol Actualy I meant 2 - 1 for England, it was my prediction for the pool.
Guess that's not going to happen either - thanks to Jersey's own Tim Howard!!!

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

b

Yeah I was really impressed by the US. Donovan is clearly a world class player. Strong match
of Dempsety and Bradley too. and
worship.gif
to Onyewu.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
I guess you didn't see France match yesterday.

I did, and they played horribly. But I've been a France supporter since childhood, not gonna stop because they are sucking.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi

Our technical skills have always been weak. You will rarely see a string of 1-touch passing or a player do well with a 1st time chance. Usually we make up for it with unselfish team play and superior effort.

Bradley (#4 shirt) was the worst offender on one of those passes and lacked spatial awareness numerous times. He plays hot or cold, and today was definitely cold.

That said, when the US do play an aggressive style, they seem to be technically better. It's when they play station to station and overthink, not play, that bad things happen.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The US seems a lot more athletic and fit than a lot of other teams. Actually, playing soccer throughout my youth in the US at various levels, it seems to me that the focus was always on fitness. If we weren't technically better than you we would out run you and out last you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads