• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a blue linen jacket with cream colored white pants. It is not orphaned.
P1030857-1.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^This one looks really good, IMO. The combo is put together nicely where the items complement one another very well. This jacket is an exception to the pinstripe jackets I usually see. Well done.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
Those of you who think that there is no such thing as a striped blazer and that it must communicate orpahend suit jacket should click on this link. Does this look like an orpahened suit coat?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...56&postcount=8

That may be a striped blazer, but it is not a pin-striped blazer, which if you look at the thread title is clearly the subject of this thread.

Not to mention that unless you're a member of a cricket or boating team wearing a blazer like the kind you link to would usually look incredibly out of place.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
^^^This one looks really good, IMO. The combo is put together nicely where the items complement one another very well. This jacket is an exception to the pinstripe jackets I usually see. Well done.

Photos like that are the reason why for years and years the solution to pants of a suit dying was to wear the jacket with white flannel trousers.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
Those of you who think that there is no such thing as a striped blazer and that it must communicate orpahend suit jacket should click on this link. Does this look like an orpahened suit coat?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...56&postcount=8

he looks like an escaped convict or a clown. not a great example.

personally, i DO sometimes wear orphaned pinstriped suit jackets with jeans, and i fully expect people to believe it's an orphaned suit jacket. but i don't care as it's with jeans and it looks good.

i would never, ever wear a pinstriped jacket as a sportcoat in a business setting, though. sends an entirely different signal.

more generally i do agree that pinstriped jackets scream orphaned suit jacket.

now, when it's more of a chalkstripe, and the material is flannell-y, tweed-y, or linen-y, it can very easily pass itself off as a sportcoat, and i do in fact have a couple of such jackets.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. However, whether there have been pinstriped sport coats for decades doesn't change the fact that they still communicate "orphaned suit coat." Your point about the fabric is well taken, but I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons.

I have a pinstripe light blue linen&cotton Loro Piana cloth jacket that definitely does not look like an orphaned suit jacket (and even less like an orphaned "business" suit jacket, unless you are into kinda weir business). Actually, I was thinking of having a suit made of the cloth and my tailor said that it would just be too much (and he has sure made me a couple of pinstripe business suits, but of quite different clothsw). I have also seen some woolen jacket cloths with kind of bold chalk stripes that would seem to make for nice jackets, without the "orphaned" look: nobody would think that someone would have been tempted to walk around in that jacket and with trousers with those same stripes.

So, as someone said: depending on the cloth, it will look like an orphaned suit jacket, or not.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

P1030857-1.jpg

The linen jacket I mentioned is like that, but in a lighter blue tone. And I always were it with off white or cream coloured cotton trousers.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last pinstriped blazer I used was in high school. I might get a pinstriped DB sometime soon.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Rarely looks good. Sometimes can be passable with jeans, but definitely not with most other kinds of trouser, and even with jeans a plain or check would always be much better.
I used to do it when I was younger, for nights out. I think on a younger man, early to mid twenties it can look OK, maybe a bit fashionable forward for some but no harm done. The striped Linen pictured above is fine as the cloth trumps the pattern.

Wideknot

Reaction score

P1030857-1.jpg

Still looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me.

There seems to me to be a continuum between casual and formal. I see separates leaning toward the casual end of that scale while the modern suit occupies the more formal one. In terms of cloth, linen trends towards the casual; in terms of style, things like besom pockets and ticket pockets trend towards the dressier. This linen jacket looks like it is trying to span the spectrum by using a casual fabric in a more formal style. To my eye, the fabric pattern and stylistic details of this jacket trump the cloth's fiber content. Because of that, it looks more suit-like than separate-like. Obviously, it works for some, I'm just not one. Thank God, it would be boring world if we all dressed the same. With patch pockets, lose the ticket pocket, and a chalk stripe as opposed to a pin stripe (though that really doesn't look like a pin stripe to my eyes) it might work better for me.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

P1030857-1.jpg

Would look better without the stripes. This is a great pictures inspite of the stripes not because of the stripes

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
Still looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me.

There seems to me to be a continuum between casual and formal. I see separates leaning toward the casual end of that scale while the modern suit occupies the more formal one. In terms of cloth, linen trends towards the casual; in terms of style, things like besom pockets and ticket pockets trend towards the dressier. This linen jacket looks like it is trying to span the spectrum by using a casual fabric in a more formal style. To my eye, the fabric pattern and stylistic details of this jacket trump the cloth's fiber content. Because of that, it looks more suit-like than separate-like. Obviously, it works for some, I'm just not one. Thank God, it would be boring world if we all dressed the same. With patch pockets, lose the ticket pocket, and a chalk stripe as opposed to a pin stripe (though that really doesn't look like a pin stripe to my eyes) it might work better for me.

ticket and hacking pockets and the other accoutrements that formerly communicated some degree of exclusivity / distinctiveness / quality (pick stitching being another) have by now been completely bastardized by downmarket brands as gimmicks to make their jackets stand out (the philosophy being, the more tricked-out the jacket, the more fashionable it is). i don't think ticket pockets are formal any longer. the H&M's and Zara's of the world have seen to that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads