• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color shirt to wear with light grey pinstripe suit??(Need URGENT help)

johnnycena

Reaction score
I'm wondering if a light Grey pinstripe suit will be suitable to wear to a wedding?

If so what color shirt and tie should i wear with it? Can you wear a dark blue shirt with it or does it have to be lighter?

Finally will white dress shoes be suitable with the grey suit?

I really need help with this and any help would be appreciated. Thank Alot.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnycena
I'm wondering if a light Grey suit will be suitable for a wedding?

If so what color shirt and tie should i wear with it? Can you wear a dark blue shirt with it?

WTFWTFWTF!

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I've decided not to answer your question because I'm pretty sure that your nickname is a pro wrestling reference.

johnnycena

Reaction score
sorry guys i usually go with the typical black suits for functions like this. So i wanted to try something new so please do give me your opinion on what to wear with the grey suit.

Archivist

Reaction score
Grey pinstripe is fine, white or pink shirt. Black shoes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a light Grey pinstripe suit will be suitable to wear to a wedding?

If so what color shirt and tie should i wear with it? Can you wear a dark blue shirt with it or does it have to be lighter?

Pin-striped suits are usually associated with business, so would not be a good choice for a wedding, though anything would be better than a black suit.

Dark shirts rarely look very good, though obviously it depends how dark this blue shirt is. A light shirt would be better.

White shoes can look great with the right outfit; but not with a suit and certainly not with a pin-striped one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White french cuffed shirt, solid navy tie.

Black shoes are the only appropriate color for this, however i thnk dark brown would be acceptable.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lavender shirt works best.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called 911 with your urgent question, and the responder said that a white shirt and black shoes are preferable for weddings.

johnnycena

Reaction score
If i wear a pink shirt with the grey suit with a white tie and white belt would that allow me to wear white shoes?

Millerp

Reaction score
If i wear a pink shirt with the grey suit with a white tie and white belt would that allow me to wear white shoes?
You don't say where you are from. Such an outfit would not be anywhere near the norm in North America and is borderline ludicrous. If you are in a third world and possibly tropical country, you might be able to get away with it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A light gray pinstripe suit should be just fine. As Sanguis Mortuum mentioned, pinstripes are somewhat businessy, but your choice is a lot better than a black suit.

White or pink should be good colors for your shirt. (Not bright pink, of course!) I'd suggest that you keep it simple--no stripes or any other patterns. Since you're unaccustomed to wearing suits, you're likely to go wrong in the mixing of patterns if you get adventurous.

Your tie should be darker than your shirt. People unaccustomed to wearing ties almost always gravitate to dark shirts with light ties. (I did that at first too.) I don't know why that is, but it really is a bad look. A navy tie will work very well, whether you wear a pink shirt or a white one.

Black shoes and black belt. There's nothing wrong with white shoes per se, but they would be completely wrong with this ensemble. A white belt would be even worse.

singlechange

Reaction score
Outdoors during the day....select lighter colors of your choice.
Evening ceremony...you can go dark or light colors.

Larson McCord

Reaction score

WHY do you want to wear white shoes? Are you Cousin Eddie?

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
You don't say where you are from.

Such an outfit would not be anywhere near the norm in North America
and is borderline ludicrous.

If you are in a third world and possibly tropical country, you might be
able to get away with it

is this a joke or ignorance on display? i pray its the former ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads