• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is an excellent question. I went in there once and asked for a patterned button down collar shirt in NON non-iron and all of their heads exploded. They couldn't understand why I didn't want non-iron. I never went back to Brooks Brothers.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
That is an excellent question. I went in there once and asked for a patterned button down collar shirt in NON non-iron and all of their heads exploded. They couldn't understand why I didn't want non-iron. I never went back to Brooks Brothers.

I bet most of their customers interested in cotton are probably about at the point where they'd consider MTM for anything more than the absolute basics, whereas everyone else in the general population thinks non-iron is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
I bet most of their customers interested in cotton are probably about at the point where they'd consider MTM for anything more than the absolute basics, whereas everyone else in the general population thinks non-iron is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yeah...but BB non-iron sort of is the greatest thing since sliced bread (especially on a shirt you have had for a while so it has worn out a little). Everybody elses non-iron/easycare/whatever is ****...but the BB stuff always seems nice to me.

enarchay

Reaction score
I just like to have the option to iron, and I'm not particularly jumping up and down to buy shirts with more chemicals on them.

For those who don't like BB, what other options are there in that price range?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlb
Hello Everyone,
I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

buy 2 shoes thats in the 100-150 range (AE on sale would be a good deal) and rotate instead of getting one for 300.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlb
Hello Everyone,
I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

Call Allen-Edmonds and ask them to send you a list of discontinued shoes in your size. AE makes great shoes and you can get discontinued models for nearly half price.

Wiseguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a quick question today.
I'm trying to purchase my first Alden wing tip shoes and
I'd like to find out what size I should go with.

my foot measurement : 10.5in (Length) x 4.25in (Width)

Should I go with 10D?

Thanks

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Take a look at Allen Edmonds, starting with the classic Park Avenue. Though they're priced at $325 or something like that. One can easily obtain them for way less than $300. With enough patience and search, <$150 new can be found. Also, leather sole is not as slippery as people make it. Moreover, Allen Edmonds shoes have full rubber heels, so that reduces slipperiness significantly. They also have many other models that are rubber soles (but these are not resole-able, so I would not choose them).
AE's rubber-soled shoes can be resoled.

minervau

Reaction score
Question on scarves: what colors match best with a charcoal overcoat?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
AE's rubber-soled shoes can be resoled.
Quote from AE Recrafting website "Due to special construction methods, our Italian shoes, Allen Edmonds Crosstown Collection, Allen Edmonds Seven™, driving moccasins, Casual Comfort Collection and some handsewn and woven styles cannot be Recrafted."

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
They did it for me a couple days ago. I'm talking about discontinued models; not seconds.

I see. That's good to know.

TK21

Reaction score
I am attending what seems to be an outdoor wedding here: http://www.playgreenriver.com/wedding.php?page_id=2240&name=Wedding_Events. The wedding is scheduled for late July at 5PM.The golf club is located in Southern California

I am at a loss as to what to wear. All the style guides say to go with a dark suit and tie after 5PM. Yet, those same guides also say to wear light colored suits at outdoor ceremonies.

So, here I am to ask your wizened opinions: What should I wear to this wedding? I'd enjoy as many details as possible: color, shoes, belt, shirt, tie, pocket square, etc.

Regards,
TK

chopp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TK21
I am attending what seems to be an outdoor wedding here: http://www.playgreenriver.com/wedding.php?page_id=2240&name=Wedding_Events. The wedding is scheduled for late July at 5PM.The golf club is located in Southern California I am at a loss as to what to wear. All the style guides say to go with a dark suit and tie after 5PM. Yet, those same guides also say to wear light colored suits at outdoor ceremonies. So, here I am to ask your wizened opinions: What should I wear to this wedding? I'd enjoy as many details as possible: color, shoes, belt, shirt, tie, pocket square, etc. Regards, TK
not sure if there are any official rules to this, but what ive done in the past is: if it starts in the daytime, wear something light. it would be outrageous to have to switch to something darker colored just because its evening. 5pm in southern california in july = 90 degree heat until sundown (8-9pm). i would think that its perfectly acceptable to wear a lighter suit. with that said, i have a wedding tomorrow and i will be wearing a light grey summer weight suit, white shirt, seersucker tie, white pocket square with brown captoes and a brown belt. then again..im only a noob here as well, so take my advice with a grain of salt?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads