• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen

singlechange

Reaction score
I've been using and collecting fountain pens for about five years now. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would use Richard Binder as my information source. He is a very respected fountain pen collector and repairs pens too and has a blog and sales inventory of vintage and modern pens. At the first day of every month he puts out a tray of nice pens for sale and they are gone in hours of showing. But the best thing about getting a pen from Richard is that he services and adjusts and tunes each pen to bring out its inherent characteristics, whether new or vintage. My current fav is not a Binderized pen but I did learn so much from him to get to the point where I knew what I really wanted and really liked.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singlechange
I've been using and collecting fountain pens for about five years now. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would use Richard Binder as my information source. He is a very respected fountain pen collector and repairs pens too and has a blog and sales inventory of vintage and modern pens. At the first day of every month he puts out a tray of nice pens for sale and they are gone in hours of showing. But the best thing about getting a pen from Richard is that he services and adjusts and tunes each pen to bring out its inherent characteristics, whether new or vintage. My current fav is not a Binderized pen but I did learn so much from him to get to the point where I knew what I really wanted and really liked.
I bought a pen from him. He's top notch.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singlechange

Richard Binder is one of many good sellers but there others I would go to first. Go and have a look at pentrace for a less formal pen forum. They have quite an active selling forum and you can pick up all sorts of pens there, new/ vintage or pricey/ cheap.

Regarding my small collection of Eversharp Coronets, it just seemed to happen by accident...

ducatisteve

Reaction score
I have a Lamy Al-Star (the aluminum version of the plastic Safari recommended earlier), and although it worked fine when I purchased it, a few months later it began skipping like crazy. I tried every cleaning trick in the book and after nothing worked, it now sits in a shoebox, unused. I do also have a Lamy 2000 that works perfectly.

If I were to recommend a brand for you to start out with (in your budget), it would definitely be a Waterman. You can pick up a Phileas or Graduate model for well under $50 and have a smooth writing, fun pen. But you have to remember that half of the writing pleasure comes from writing on good paper, so head to your local B&N or Target to pick up a Moleskine or Rhodia notebook.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found moleskin to be fountain pen unfriendly

hansonho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Try one of these:

01062010177.jpg

Seriously though, depending on your writing style - the Heroes are cheap and cheerful.

WOW! those look great what pens?

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I found moleskin to be fountain pen unfriendly

That would, of course, depend on what ink you are using. I have no bleeding (or feathering) issues with my Moleskine and Pelikan ink.

Bentley

Reaction score
Never knew there were so many fountain pen enthusiasts here on SF.

This is awesome!

smile.gif

Rosencrantz1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSaavedra
When I was looking at fountain pens in the past I found myself being continually advised to grab the Lamy Safari. You can use it with a cartridge to start out and get a feel of the style, then later on grab a converter nib to get used to filling it yourself. It's pretty darn cheap, to boot.

+1 on the Lamy Safari. My father is a fountain pen collector, with pens ranging from $5 cheapos to vintage, solid gold Watermans and brand-new, top-of-the-line Mont Blancs. He constantly "complains" how frustrating it is that the $25 Lamy Safari writes so well at such a reasonable price.

It's certainly not a formal looking pen, but as a starter fountain pen, I think it's hard to beat.

Go to a stationary store that carries them and try out some different nib sizes. Personally, I prefer a fine nib, but many folks like a medium nib, especially if it is their only pen.

Finally, if I may, I recommend a blue-black ink (as opposed to plain black). Nice stuff!

Good luck!

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Never knew there were so many fountain pen enthusiasts here on SF.

This is awesome!

smile.gif

You're surprised? I was sort of just assuming that there would be plenty of fountain pen people on here when I made this post... and I'm certainly not surprised that there are

Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1
Go to a stationary store that carries them and try out some different nib sizes. Personally, I prefer a fine nib, but many folks like a medium nib, especially if it is their only pen.

Finally, if I may, I recommend a blue-black ink (as opposed to plain black). Nice stuff!

Good luck!

I will go and try out some different sizes. Any reason for the opinion on the blue-black over the black? Do you just like it better. I guess the color of the ink wasn't something I had even thought about.

And I've heard some talk of what papers is best to write on. Any other opinions on what works the best with fountain pens?

Rosencrantz1

Reaction score
Blue-black is just a personal preference. Traditionally, it was advantageous to use a non-black ink, because it would prove that a signature was real, and not just a photocopy. With the advent of color copying and printing, this doesn't really hold any more.

There are many ink options out there, even more if/when you move to filling from a bottle (as opposed to cartridges).

mdp0430

Reaction score
Another Parker alternative would be a Centennial... I like their size.

+1 re: Richard Binder, there are also others...

The "problem" you're going to have to get used to is the ink. You're probably used to writing with a roller ball or ball point and not having to worry about the ink washing away if it comes in contact with liquid. Most inks for fountain pens will do just that. The ink washes right away with just the slightest contact of water (e.g. Waterman Florida Blue). Not a good thing if you're addressing and mailing an envelope on a rainy day...

I suggest that you do some research over at Fountain Pen Network and go with inks that are known to be water resistant. Personally, I use "bulletproof" inks for all my writing, including endorsing checks...

Welcome to fountain pens, next will be watches, then 2-channel audio, maybe a muscle car afterwards?

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
Welcome to fountain pens, next will be watches, then 2-channel audio, maybe a muscle car afterwards?

HA. I already have a nice turntable driven system with some damn expensive speakers, and a 1971 corvette. I'm trying to avoid the watches as long as possible... although theres this one Bulgari that has been catching my eye a lot lately....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads