• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) vs. $10 street vendors/Exxon sunglasses

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by a mall today to try on some pairs. I liked brown/tortoise Persol or RayBan in the $120 range. For now, I just ordered a 2-pack of knockoff Wayfarers for $10/shipped. $5/pair = zero downside here, and is a nice step up in STYLE (vs. sleek/modern XTreme rockclimber sunglasses) http://www.amazon.com/Wayfarer-pack-...ref=pd_sbs_a_4
41uo1i9ylzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
PS: Also, I saw a burnt reddish set of frames. NOT Sally Jesse Raphael Fireengine Red, but more subtle. Thoughts on this color for men?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say step it up to the $25 polarized foster grants. I've been using a pair for years, and in terms of actual protection how much you pay doesn't matter. I've seen dollar store sunglasses that have 100% UV protection (world's crappiest frames of course...), so your eyes will be protected no matter what you buy.

But I do think polarization is worth it as far as spending a little more goes. Especially since I fish, it's nice to be able to cut past the glare on the water, and they prevent glare from distracting you when driving.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I stopped by a mall today to try on some pairs.
I liked brown/tortoise Persol or RayBan in the $120 range.

For now, I just ordered a 2-pack of knockoff Wayfarers for $10/shipped.
$5/pair = zero downside here, and is a nice step up in STYLE (vs. sleek/modern XTreme rockclimber sunglasses)
http://www.amazon.com/Wayfarer-pack-...ref=pd_sbs_a_4

41uo1i9ylzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PS: Also, I saw a burnt reddish set of frames.
NOT Sally Jesse Raphael Fireengine Red, but more subtle.
Thoughts on this color for men?

They arrived today. Oddly, the Tortoise Shell pair are noticeably better made. They have spring loaded hinges and heavier plastic. The blacks are significantly cheaper/lighter feeling. For $5/pair, this is a great test run. If I like the style, I'll spring for the real deal.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoyodunno
The best sunglasses you can get for that price is probably American Optical. They have some nice aviator designs, and good colors. New they are 50-100 dollars, but you can find them on ebay for around 30 dollars.

I just got some American Optical Generals(aviator gold/amber lenses) for 24 bucks off ebay, and they are really nice.

This is what I wear. I've had a few pair (well one was the nearly identical Randolph Engineering branded model) and they've been great. I'm thinking of picking up another off ebay in a slightly smaller size.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say spend the money and buy a couple decent pairs of glasses. YOU will learn to be more careful in time. I have glasses form 15 years ago, so I am very careful. A classic shape and style can be a lifelong companion if you take a little care.

Perdogg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I would say spend the money and buy a couple decent pairs of glasses. YOU will learn to be more careful in time. I have glasses form 15 years ago, so I am very careful. A classic shape and style can be a lifelong companion if you take a little care.

I would like to buy a nice pair of sunglasses. However, the people working in these stores, especially the ones selling the Tom Fords and Persols, do not know their product line. Apparently glasses are sized yet everytime I ask for a pair to fit my face, they say "Here try these they look like they will work". About three months later the frames start to crack.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I used to be a cheap-o sunglass person for the exact reason you mentioned. Afraid to lose an expensive pair. I bought two pair of Ray Bans a few years back (around $100 each at Nordstroms) and I've yet to lose either, because I'm careful. You'll act more carelessly if you know the glasses are easy to replace. Think of it the same way as you would how you wear expensive shoes, you're (or at least I am) generally more careful.

Careful? Aren't you the guy who lost your wallet while taking your own picture?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog

Having said that, I think $10 means crappy lenses, which can't be that good for your eyesight.

+1

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg
I would like to buy a nice pair of sunglasses. However, the people working in these stores, especially the ones selling the Tom Fords and Persols, do not know their product line. Apparently glasses are sized yet everytime I ask for a pair to fit my face, they say "Here try these they look like they will work". About three months later the frames start to crack.

+1.

I am willing to spend the $100 for a new pair, PROVIDED I know they fit my face. Last store I went to (Sunglasses Hut), she said "They all fit everyone". But, I'm not going to spend $100 on ebay, only to get something in the wrong size.

I have no idea what my size is, and will try another store. I think they're hip to the "browse local, buy online" game.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have seen people become paralyzed from wearing square toed shoes, badly burned from wearing fused suits, and sodomized from wearing jorts.

Perdogg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
+1.

I am willing to spend the $100 for a new pair, PROVIDED I know they fit my face. Last store I went to (Sunglasses Hut), she said "They all fit everyone". But, I'm not going to spend $100 on ebay, only to get something in the wrong size.

I have no idea what my size is, and will try another store. I think they're hip to the "browse local, buy online" game.

http://www.simplyeyeglasses.com/help/frame_size.php

jacnyr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
They are selling you snake oil. There is ZERO independent evidence that expensive designer lenses are better for you. If spending big bucks for sunglasses makes you feel better about yourself then that's fine, but stop deluding yourself that you're doing it "for your eyes". Anything above about $30 means you're paying for something other than simply eye protection.

I guess you did not read my above post, about a rock hitting my sunglasses (RayBan). My mother didn't raise me stupid!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads