• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
Stupid question, but do you have to wear a suit to a summer wedding? I haven't been to a wedding in a long time and my old suit fits horribly. I was wondering if it's okay to wear dress pants, collared shirt, tie, and a blazer. Thanks.

It's always better to wear a suit a wedding. Put formality and appropriateness to a side, dressing up also shows respect to the couple. Of course, there are many "casual" weddings now in which case it may be okay to dress down. However, when in doubt, wear a suit. Summer should not be an excuse, since there are summer suits.

dron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
thicker? tighter? higher?

sorry.
tighter. as in tighter around the wrist.
as i see it you have to move the button holes. i can't see how it could be done, but maybe someone know for sure if it's doable or not.

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
What is a reliable and price efficient place to go to get unhemmed pants tailored? Or does this vary with every tailor?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
sorry. tighter. as in tighter around the wrist. as i see it you have to move the button holes. i can't see how it could be done, but maybe someone know for sure if it's doable or not.
I had the same problem with my French cuffs (they're too big since my wrist is quite small relatively to the rest of the body). I brought to a tailor before. He said that it can be done, by removing 1.5 inches from 1 side of the cuffs (pretty much remove 1 button hole). Then create a new hole. Though it's expensive, and the cuffs will be too small. I decided to NOT do it, but the answer is: doable, but impractical.

nyc2010

Reaction score
I posted a version of this in WTB as well, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

I'm looking to purchase a black 38R tuxedo. I'd prefer something fairly classic in styling but slim-cut. No strong preference between new and used, but I do want something relatively high quality and not exorbitantly expensive. My budget will really depend on the item though.

I'd prefer something like the following:

-Flat-front pants (this is essential)
-Peak lapel (strong preference)
-Lapels toward the slimmer end of the spectrum

I tried on a Ralph Lauren Black Label today and liked it quite a bit, but was not about to pay full retail.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TieMyShoe
What is a reliable and price efficient place to go to get unhemmed pants tailored? Or does this vary with every tailor?
To your first question, a reliable and inexpensive alterations tailor. To your second, yes. Were you to give some indication of your location, you might get some specific suggestions or, better yet, do a search for "alterations tailor" and your location and you will likely find some results. Hemming trousers is about the most basic alteration there is and any alterations tailor will be able to do it.

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Ah that's the keyword I needed. Did a search earlier and failed since I searched for the wrong terms. Thanks

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
I bought some new mabitex pants and it came with a string-like fabric that is about 1.5cm x 75cm (not thread since its woven together). What is this supposed to be for? It doesn't look like it is a spare for anything on the pants.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TieMyShoe
I bought some new mabitex pants and it came with a string-like fabric that is about 1.5cm x 75cm (not thread since its woven together). What is this supposed to be for? It doesn't look like it is a spare for anything on the pants.
Does it look to be the same thickness as one of the belt loops? If so, it's a spare belt loop. - Keith

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Does it look to be the same thickness as one of the belt loops? If so, it's a spare belt loop.

- Keith

Nope, these are wool pants, but the material seems to be polyester or some other crappy plastic like synthetic.

rlb

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlb
Hello Everyone,
I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

Take a look at Allen Edmonds, starting with the classic Park Avenue. Though they're priced at $325 or something like that. One can easily obtain them for way less than $300. With enough patience and search, <$150 new can be found. Also, leather sole is not as slippery as people make it. Moreover, Allen Edmonds shoes have full rubber heels, so that reduces slipperiness significantly. They also have many other models that are rubber soles (but these are not resole-able, so I would not choose them).

enarchay

Reaction score
Why does Brooks Brothers have such a narrow variety of patterns in their traditional cotton line? I don't really want to buy non-iron shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads