• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Styling

feathers73

Reaction score
If I was walking onto Oxford University in say the late 50's or early 60's what would I be wearing? And which of these classic clothing styles would still be fashionable?

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feathers73
If I was walking onto Oxford University in say the late 50's or early 60's what would I be wearing? And which of these classic clothing styles would still be fashionable?

Lots of tweeds and heavy classic English cloths in those drafty ancient buildings. Odd waistcoats, watch chains. Google J.R.R. Tolkien and there you are.

Most are still completely stylish and appropriate, but cloths are thinner thanks to central heating. The three piece tweed suit is a little costumey now, more's the mournful pity.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
Lots of tweeds and heavy classic English cloths in those drafty ancient buildings. Odd waistcoats, watch chains. Google J.R.R. Tolkien and there you are.

I think somebody is living in a fantasy world...

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think somebody is living in a fantasy world...

Slightly tongue in cheek. But fantasy?

BareSolid

Reaction score
"Nash v Inman (1908)

Here a tailor sued a minor to whom he had supplied clothes, including 11 fancy waistcoats. It was decided that, as the minor was an undergraduate at Cambridge University at the time, the clothes were suitable according to the minor's station in life. Unfortunately for the tailor, however, it was further decided that they were not necessary, as he already had sufficient clothing. Minors are only under a legal obligation to pay for things necessary for their maintenance although even then they will only be required to pay a reasonable price for any necessaries purchased - so no contact was enforceable."

Don't know about the 1950s but 11 'fancy' waistcoats were necessaries at Cambridge in 1908.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
"Nash v Inman (1908)

Here a tailor sued a minor to whom he had supplied clothes, including 11 fancy waistcoats. It was decided that, as the minor was an undergraduate at Cambridge University at the time, the clothes were suitable according to the minor's station in life. Unfortunately for the tailor, however, it was further decided that they were not necessary, as he already had sufficient clothing. Minors are only under a legal obligation to pay for things necessary for their maintenance although even then they will only be required to pay a reasonable price for any necessaries purchased - so no contact was enforceable."

Don't know about the 1950s but 11 'fancy' waistcoats were necessaries at Cambridge in 1908.

Not according to Nash v Inman. Your quote contradicts your argument, lol. That case sounds completely counter-intuitive.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
World War I did away with the majority of the stuffiness, and then World War II completely put it to rest.

There are plenty of photos in the archives of Oxford or Cambridge in the 50s and 60s. Some are just wearing tweed jackets and perhaps a tie. Most are just wearing cords a shirt and a jumper. Sub-fusc still dominates today as it did back then, but most of the people today can't wait to throw it off and put on jeans and a shirt / t-shirt.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
World War I did away with the majority of the stuffiness, and then World War II completely put it to rest. There are plenty of photos in the archives of Oxford or Cambridge in the 50s and 60s. Some are just wearing tweed jackets and perhaps a tie. Most are just wearing cords a shirt and a jumper. Sub-fusc still dominates today as it did back then, but most of the people today can't wait to throw it off and put on jeans and a shirt / t-shirt.
It isn't necessary to wear gowns for members in statu pupiillari for lectures, examinations etc at Cambridge and hasn't been since the early 70's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads