• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrf555
Q: With a cold climate in consideration, which is a better overall coat; a three quarter coat that is single or double breasted?
Double is warmer, but unless you frequently spend long periods of time outdoors and suffer from an insufficiently warm coat, I would choose the coat that is overall most appealing to you as the difference in warmth between a single and doubled-breasted coat is not likely to be significant.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highendstyle
Is Diesel stained/ faded boot cut denim in or out?
You will probably get better responses to that question in the Streetwear & Denim forum rather than the Men's (Tailored) Clothing forum.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
You will probably get better responses to that question in the Streetwear & Denim forum rather than the Men's (Tailored) Clothing forum.
Originally Posted by imschatz
Probably asked and answered a million times, but ... How hot should the water be to hot soak jeans to shrink them, and how long should I leave the jeans in? Is it as simple as "hotter and longer = more shrink"? ps: Did a search .. and just found about 40 threads of people telling the guy he should have done a search.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need a quick opinion on my suit fit. I'm currently 150lbs but I'm moving up a weight class in jits so in two to three months I'm going to be 170-180lbs. I have a 38R jacket from H&M right now which I think is just a sly bit too big for me but I'm fairly sure I can fill it out. I am going to have to get the length and the arms taken in a bit, but I would also have to do that on a 36R. Do you think the jacket is too big to pass for a bit? or should I just bite the $70 + alterations for a jacket I might throw out in two months.

Front
Back
Side

chopp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chopp
what color/pattern pocket square should i rock?

suit: summer weight light grey
shirt: white cotton
tie: traditional seersucker/blue

im thinking a regular white pocket square, but would that be too matchy?

Originally Posted by JesseJB
I'd say white/primary blue pattered.

anyone else?? i need one by saturday and the only place i can find locally with pocket squares are brooks brothers :\\

might just go white handkerchief

xensphere

Reaction score
Hi. I have a pair of C&J for PRL white suede wingtip in US 9.5D. Would I be able to wear a UK9D C&J in the 337 last? Thanks in advance

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Need a quick opinion on my suit fit. I'm currently 150lbs but I'm moving up a weight class in jits so in two to three months I'm going to be 170-180lbs. I have a 38R jacket from H&M right now which I think is just a sly bit too big for me but I'm fairly sure I can fill it out. I am going to have to get the length and the arms taken in a bit, but I would also have to do that on a 36R. Do you think the jacket is too big to pass for a bit? or should I just bite the $70 + alterations for a jacket I might throw out in two months.

Front
Back
Side

It's way too big in the shoulders. Even if you do manage to put on 20 or 30 pounds, your shoulders aren't going to get any broader so that jacket will still be too big.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xensphere
Hi. I have a pair of C&J for PRL white suede wingtip in US 9.5D. Would I be able to wear a UK9D C&J in the 337 last? Thanks in advance
In most C&J, EG, etc., a US D width translates to a UK E width. You might be able to squeeze into a UK9D, but that's where you really want to be able to try the shoes on before you pay for them.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but do you have to wear a suit to a summer wedding? I haven't been to a wedding in a long time and my old suit fits horribly. I was wondering if it's okay to wear dress pants, collared shirt, tie, and a blazer. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads