• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had $250 to spend on a watch...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Lol, get outta here. A watch 'enthusiast's' 'beater' is usually something like an Omega Seamaster. There's nothing beautiful nor special about watches in this price range with their horrible movements and horrible attention to detail. I agree with you, a G-Shock is fantastic for its durability and features......but I would never wear it with anything other than gym shorts. As would most watch 'enthusiasts' you speak of.

and OP also stated '$250 for a watch that looks like more than you paid for it'. Somebody who is familiar with watches can tell fairly easy if you're wearing a nice wrist piece or not.

Not true at all. There are plenty of WISers who beats the hell out of a GShock, some of them even have a handful of GShocks in their collection. I own a GShock myself and usually wear it when just running quick errands to the grocery store or hiking or swimming or travelling, it has more use than you think. The atomic clock is a great feature.

Lots of WISers also has plenty of quartz watch as a beater, ranging from Tissot to Longines, Seiko to Citizen and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I also have a few Burberry watches (made by Fossil) that I used to use as beaters.

Plus trust me, there aren't many people who would know about watches so buying a watch to impress the general public doesn't really need the best watch for the buck. Hell plenty WISers regard Omega as a better watchmaker than Rolex but you take a poll of a 100 random people in the mall and I bet 90 out of 100 would say Rolex is a a way better watch. Hell 80 out of those 100 people would probably say Tag Heuer is better than Omega. It's the perception that is created that seems to matter to the OP and that is why I recommended a designer brands because the general public would still view it as an expensive watch, outside of WISers people will think the OP spent more on it than he did.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't get a replica. I saw this poor looking asian dude wearing an IWC big pilot the other day and asked him about it. Like I was expecting, his response screamed 100% replica. Pretty damn pathetic. People who don't know watches won't be able to tell your crappy watch apart from any other watch and people who know watches will laugh at you.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replicas???
I would much rather buy a vintage watch off ebay.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd probably save a little more cash and go with a Laco classic Fleiger:
Laco-Flieger_Classic_2010.jpg
or a Precista PRS-5. Both decent build quality and great looking.

CosmicOsmo

Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent watch for a while, and after reading this thread I decided to snatch up this late 70's Omega for $150:
ZP8h5.jpg

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo
I've been looking for a decent watch for a while, and after reading this thread I decided to snatch up this late 70's Omega for $150:

ZP8h5.jpg

God damn thats a good price. They are usually around $250-$300

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my advice, save your money for the watch that you REALLY want. i just bought a vintage tudor off timzone and ended up selling it bc i was too much in a haste for a mechanical watch. i figured why spend 450 on it when i could spend a little more and get something i really like. the weight and shape of a vintage watch is nice, but not for me. it feels too small on my wrist.

laughter95

Reaction score
i really wanted a scvs013 or scvs 015 (seiko spirit)... on and off for a year...

BUT NOW DISCONTINUED

dammit

cannot find an alternative...

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
i really wanted a scvs013 or scvs 015 (seiko spirit)... on and off for a year...

BUT NOW DISCONTINUED

dammit

cannot find an alternative...

I hear you. The scs013 was on my wish list for a long time. A close alternative is the Seiko SARB031. Although there are some noticeable differences, it has almost the same aesthetic. It also happens to be about $100 more....
frown.gif

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
I hate to get in this debacle; however, Dmash is ******* annoying and needs to keep his comments to himself.

That dude needs to chillax, every ******* thread he thinks hes the ****.
ffffuuuu.gif

dimwit

Reaction score
New: Seiko, most likely.

Used: Omega.

Nice find CosmicOsmo! That's a pretty good deal. Is it quartz or manual?

CosmicOsmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimwit
New: Seiko, most likely.

Used: Omega.

Nice find CosmicOsmo! That's a pretty good deal. Is it quartz or manual?

Automatic.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with a Seiko 5. They are a decent watch and can take some abuse for a daily beater. If you are inclined look on Ebay and other places and you will be able to find some vintage watches also. I have a Subdate as my beater, but I am lucky that my wife loved me enough to get it as my wedding gift.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Yeah i have a few seikos and i post on watchuseek.

some of us watch enthusiasts are poor as hell!

haha so 2 seikos and a citizen with a few other watches lying around as as highest end as i get haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads