• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I just purchased from Herring's a pair of Church's "Sheldon" black cap toe balmoral oxfords for my wedding. I should be receiving them soon.

You will love them... I think the 130 last from Church's is one of the more elegant ones in the 300-odd GBP offering from Northampton shoemakers.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
i just checked and it seems that it's their standard shipping method. 20 pounds. i remember the sale, edgwares for only 199 pounds shipped
smile.gif

yup, it was just sitting in my mailbox down the street. and it even came the same week! ups express/worldwide always includes brokerage fees i believe. don't know why there were no taxes. never got a bill in the mail after either.

would definitely buy from them again.

with royal mail you have to sign and pay up
bored.gif

Damn, might be worth giving them a try...
decisions.gif

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Damn, might be worth giving them a try...
decisions.gif

but dont be mad at me if you get slammed with 100 in fees
peepwall[1].gif
YMMV like discussed before, i think one of the reasons why there aren't many retailers in canada selling english made shoes is because of that ridiculous 18% duty on shoes. who are they protecting? outdated dacks?? is that true for shoes made in italy too?

lexmann

Reaction score
i just checked and it seems that it's their standard shipping method. 20 pounds. i remember the sale, edgwares for only 199 pounds shipped
smile.gif

yup, it was just sitting in my mailbox down the street. and it even came the same week! ups express/worldwide always includes brokerage fees i believe. don't know why there were no taxes. never got a bill in the mail after either.

would definitely buy from them again.

with royal mail you have to sign and pay up
bored.gif

You are lucky. Last time I paid CAN$60+ for duty/tax on a pair of Church's and so I won't take a chance. In order to avoid this, I now ask Herring to send the shoes to my friend in Hong Kong, then my friend diverts them to me. It's still cheaper in this way.

beerbudget

Reaction score
Great experience with them. 3 days delivery to Australia. Fantastic packaging. Recommended highly.

trader

Reaction score
damn, got caught again today. just paid 78 dollars in duties for my lowndes. getting a 5% discount just ain't worth it these days.... but after you wait over 2 months for your order i guess you'll pay anything. i really like them though
inlove.gif
(btw i haven't ordered from herring so none of my experiences have to do with them)

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, got caught again today. just paid 78 dollars in duties for my lowndes. getting a 5% discount just ain't worth it these days....

Pediwear?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I just ordered two pairs of shoes from Herring (total is 356 GBP, which equals about $545 CAD) and as soon as I receive them, I'll let you all know how much duties/taxes, etc., I had to pay.

Stay tuned . . . .

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself

I just ordered two pairs of shoes from Herring (total is 356 GBP, which equals about $545 CAD) and as soon as I receive them, I'll let you all know how much duties/taxes, etc., I had to pay.

Stay tuned . . . .

I placed the order on Sunday May 30 and the shoes arrived on Friday June 4. Talk about FAST!!! And I live in Canada!!

These are the two styles I ordered:

1.) http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

herring--henley.jpg

2.) http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

herring--hyde.jpg

They were shipped via UPS and the import charges I had to pay upon delivery was a mere $50.60.

Unbelievably cheap!!

On the invoice, the listed value for duty was a mere $211.74 with GST coming to $12.49 and total customs equalling $38.11.

I have no idea how Herring Shoes or how UPS or Customs Canada arrived at those numbers . . . and, quite frankly, I really don't care.

All I can say is that I was shocked that the total import charges was a paltry $50.60 for two pairs of shoes that are worth a total of $545.00 CAD.

I'm not complaining!

And the shoes are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICALLY GORGEOUS!!! The quality reminds me of Dack's Shoes (a Canadian shoe company founded in 1834 that made handbenched shoes). Ever since Dack's filed for bankruptcy and closed earlier this year, I was worrying about where I can buy good quality handbenched/handmade shoes and I guess Herring Shoes is my new source!

I'm IN LOVE with these shoes! Absolutely GORGEOUS and VERY well-made!

I'll definitely be buying more from Herring!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
You will love them... I think the 130 last from Church's is one of the more elegant ones in the 300-odd GBP offering from Northampton shoemakers.

You were so right, bbh! The new wife really likes the look...and she criticizes some of my other footwear, such as Alden cordovan ankle boots and AE Mora double-monk straps.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I placed the order on Sunday May 30 and the shoes arrived on Friday June 4. Talk about FAST!!! And I live in Canada!!

These are the two styles I ordered:

I'm IN LOVE with these shoes! Absolutely GORGEOUS and VERY well-made!

Two pairs of correspondent shoes. Are you APortnoy in disguise ?

I will admit the bottom pair are the nicest in the style I have seen. I would not have the front to wear them though.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered from them three times and never had any issues, quick and easy.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
What's the deal with their pictures? Are they using size 7 wides as models or something? The shoes all look boxy and stubby.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads