• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
B-berry gives the choice of an enterprise solution or a stand alone desk top "redirector." We use the redirector. Do you know if the iPhone will have this feature or is further enterprise stuff needed to work with the Exchange server?

I believe you need Exchange to get email and other stuff pushed to you. They don't offer a redirector service like RIM's.

--Andre

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What do you guys mean by "BB mail functionality?" I'm no techie, but we haven't done anything fancy and I get all my e-mail perfectly (we have exchange and I believe I interface through our webmail - is that a security risk or bad for other reasons?).

I have an iPhone 3G, not the 3Gs, and I will be upgrading. The primary reason is that the latest OS revisions bog the damned thing down. I will be happy to have more memory and longer battery life, however. I did sort of hope for some kind of really big game-changing sort of new capability, but I'm not really sure what that would have been. For now, I can say that I love my iPhone in spite of a few complaints, and I am sure I will love the new one (hopefully with a vastly improved camera) even more.

I'm not sure I love the design, but as long as it remains slim and trim, I'm happy.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
What do you guys mean by "BB mail functionality?"

It's mainly push email, contacts, and calendar. That is, instead of you telling the phone to go check for new mail, contacts, or events, they are automatically sent to your phone when they arrive at the server.

--Andre

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, ok, well I have that.
smile.gif

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I believe free apps have always had ads, except its via the company that Apple bought for iAd.

Actually, none of my free apps has ads. The concern seems to be that paid apps will have ads, rather than free ones. It'll start with "we're passing the savings on to you!" and wind up with you either paying more to get rid of them or just being stuck.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I believe you need Exchange to get email and other stuff pushed to you. They don't offer a redirector service like RIM's.

--Andre

Hmm. I'll have to talk to IT. To my understanding, Exchange has nothing to do with my BB. Exchange pushes to my desktop and my desktop has a RIM program that pushes out from my desktop. If some form of webmail, on a third part server, i.e. gmail, is required, all of healthcare is probably locked out. We need secure emails.

Maybe G33k or someone knows?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Hmm. I'll have to talk to IT. To my understanding, Exchange has nothing to do with my BB. Exchange pushes to my desktop and my desktop has a RIM program that pushes out from my desktop. If some form of webmail, on a third part server, i.e. gmail, is required, all of healthcare is probably locked out. We need secure emails.

Maybe G33k or someone knows?

RIM gives you push without Exchange. IPhone requires Exchange to get push.

--Andre

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I believe free apps have always had ads, except its via the company that Apple bought for iAd. I know free Android Apps have banner ads and such. It's not very intrusive in my experience with the Android ones.
I have played a couple free games with ads, they're annoying as ****. On the whole, this encapsulates my dislike of the new Apple philosophy. My girlfriend loves playing flash games on her laptop. These are, of course, banned by Apple on her iPod touch so she has to either pay for games or download free ones that are brimming with ads. Imagine if every time you browsed the net you had to pay for each site you visited or got subjected to a popup without fail; same damn thing. At least between adblock and flashblock I can do something about ads on my browser, but there's no recourse on an Apple device. Anyway, as someone else said, the risk is that ads will make their way into paid apps as well. Or worse, we'll have the tiered app system, where paying above a certain amount gets you ad-free, below that 50% ad-free, and below that there's no point. Jesus H Murphy, what a future.
tinfoil.gif
EDIT: To be fair, this is not 100% an Apple problem. Everything seems to be going this direction. DLC for video games had another name when I was growing up -- bonus levels. Now you have to pay extra for the same damn thing.
confused.gif

xpress

Reaction score
I knew this announcement was coming, so I sold my 3Gs on Kijiji for 550$ a couple days ago...
I've got a friend at a Rogers store (Canada) who hooked me up with an LG Eve (Android phone) while I wait for the Iphone 4 to be released...

I'm going through withdrawals.

This is my second time on the Android system... And it honestly sucks relative to the iPhone...
And I'm not a fanboy... Its just the truth!

However, I'm VERY disappointed that 4g wont be available on the iPhone 4..

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
symbian (nokia) and windows mobile have had it for years... 3-5 years in fact. android has it. in east asia and europe its in use. it has never taken off in US because we do not have the cellular infrastructure to support it. iphone video calling doesnt remedy this - its actually not done over cellular nework (wi-fi only) and only across other iphones
Oh god, so it's pretty much just skype then? i.e. it's just done over the internet? Man i thought NZ was behind, but we've had video calling for years. we're worse off though, i'm sure there must be some price fixing happening because telecom and vodafone both offer such expensive plans that most people are still on prepay, and even then everyone txts instead of calls becaus it's like $1 a minute. e.g. check out the iPhone plan: $250 a month for 24 months plus $300 for the phone, with only 600 minutes and 1GB of data. http://www.vodafone.co.nz/iphone/32gb-iphone-3gs.jsp
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
It will though; you can now see each others faces in real time while beating off in the toilets at work to a large array of Appreciation that you may freely browse on iPhone OS 4, on an incredibly detailed screen. Good for nymphomaniac couples that just can't stand to be away from each other for more than 10 minutes at a time.
true, you can get one of those wireless vibrators that can be controlled over the net too. mean.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad my Droid smokes that phone.
bounce2.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan has had video chat for centuries, but no one uses it. Maybe if Apple can make it cool it will catch on.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Japan has had video chat for centuries, but no one uses it. Maybe if Apple can make it cool it will catch on.

There's probably a reason why it hasn't caught on. At first, people will use it, but that's just as it was with video chat on your computer. The only people I know who use video chat now are parents on biz trips/vacations who want to see their kids briefly and for video conference calls in biz settings, but not for 1-on-1 calls. People still continue to use regular chat texting more than they do video, because you don't want people to watch you when you're only having a casual conversation. Plus text chatting, like audio only calls, allow you a bit of privacy and allow us those little white lies. People love being able to say "I'm 10 minutes away" when they haven't even left yet. Also, when you're on audio only, you can walk around and do other tasks. Video will have its use, like letting someone see something you want their opinion of right away, but for making a regular call, it will be tough to catch on, especially if you can only do it over wifi.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xpress
I knew this announcement was coming, so I sold my 3Gs on Kijiji for 550$ a couple days ago...

Who the **** pays $550 for a used iPhone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads