• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

airblaster503

Reaction score
10.2 in 1:16. Felt pretty good to get out and get a long run in. Perfect running weather here in Oregon today, about 60 degrees couldy and no wind.

Borrelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
4 miles in 31 minutes - a PR for me....
thumbs-up.gif

And this was done with forefoot strikes!!!!
bounce2.gif

Nice. I am interested in this forefoot strike thing. Is it recommended for anyone? I am ca. 203 Lbs but ideally want to drop to 185.
I guess you might need a different set of shoes also? Less heel height and no correction?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borrelli
Nice. I am interested in this forefoot strike thing. Is it recommended for anyone? I am ca. 203 Lbs but ideally want to drop to 185.
I guess you might need a different set of shoes also? Less heel height and no correction?

I have been interested in this because I generally have discomfort in my heel and Achilles tendon area when I do my normal foot strikes. I read up a bit on this and decided to try it out. I didn't get any new shoes, just focused on running on the balls of my feet. I will eventually get Nike Frees or VFFs but for now, I am just building up to it with my standard NBs.

My workout program is not tremendously running intensive - just 2 runs and 1 interval session per week, so there is usually enough time for my calves to recover from the shock. If you run a lot more, you might want to start slower with this experiment.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a number of good shoes for forefoot running:
Mizuno-Wave Precision 10, Wave Elixer, Wave Mashua
Saucony-Kinvara
Nike-Free
Brooks-T6
NB-a bunch.
Any racing flat.

You learn to read specs on shoes and look for as little heel to forefoot ratio you can.
Im about 190 right now and I run in Mizuno. Take it slow to transition.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
There are a number of good shoes for forefoot running:
Mizuno-Wave Precision 10, Wave Elixer, Wave Mashua
Saucony-Kinvara
Nike-Free
Brooks-T6
NB-a bunch.
Any racing flat.

You learn to read specs on shoes and look for as little heel to forefoot ratio you can.
Im about 190 right now and I run in Mizuno. Take it slow to transition.

I would add Newton shoes to this list.

Borrelli

Reaction score
10.4km race through one of the local neighbourhoods just now. Very warm, even for an evening run. Many corners and not much wind. Approximately 1:05. No problems, but the heat really makes it much harder.

airblaster503

Reaction score
4 miles today in right at 30 min. Hangover and dehydration made this run feel like a chore.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9 miles, from my apartment to the fort under the Golden Gate bridge and back. mp3 player died at mile 2. So many sun dresses to pass the time made running without music easier.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about 5 miles trail. Some last minute prepping before the Pendleton Mud run next Sat.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles in 30:53.... a PR for me...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My previous best was 31 minutes - I started out a bit slow and it didn't look like I was going to be beat that time but I finished in a sprint and pulled it off!

New target is 30 minutes even. Hope to get there over the next few runs.
smile.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one mile. 8min

lol its been two weeks since my last half marathon (and 2nd in the span of 6 weeks) and i decided to take more than 10 days off and just do other things. i was getting burned out.

i did play a bunch of softball games and basketball so i know my knee isn't injured (from my last half marathon).

now i feel like i can get back into it and start getting back to the 25miles/week by the end of june... then start preparing for the bronx half marathon (probably the hardest to do because of the weather) in july.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey running peeps - congrats to all of you guys for getting out there and pounding the pavement. Lord knows it's way easier to veg out in front of the tube.

Today: Nada

Sunday: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. Hot, humid, crowded, too much concrete, but had a blast. Managed to come in at 3:55, a 14 minute PR. I'll take this week off and then begin training for another marathon in October.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Hey running peeps - congrats to all of you guys for getting out there and pounding the pavement. Lord knows it's way easier to veg out in front of the tube.

Today: Nada

Sunday: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. Hot, humid, crowded, too much concrete, but had a blast. Managed to come in at 3:55, a 14 minute PR. I'll take this week off and then begin training for another marathon in October.

Congrats on the marathon.. it created hell for my day traffic wise.

My run was slow and easy, still prepping for my race this weekend.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started interval training last night. Did 7 sets of 100m run x 100m jog before I couldn't go anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads