• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I found the DA to be somewhat too long, but the SA is crisp wih good feedback. There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a U.S. made firearm, in fact guns manufactured in this country tend to hold a high value amongst the gun-loving crowd...take for instance most sought after 1911's and revolvers.

Well, Beretta is an Italian company, so some prefer Italian made Berettas. 1911's and revolvers are mostly made by US companies (at least most of the good ones), thus it is natural that people will perfer American made 1911's and revolvers. That said, the consensus seems to be that US made Berettas are the same quality as the Italians.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found the DA to be somewhat too long, but the SA is crisp wih good feedback. There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a U.S. made firearm, in fact guns manufactured in this country tend to hold a high value amongst the gun-loving crowd...take for instance most sought after 1911's and revolvers.

I was kidding; 80% of my firearms are American made Ruger and S&W. I even have a Maine made Walther PPK.. My comment was more surprise than disappointment, I thought all Beretta firearms were made in Italy, but I won't lose any sleep over it..

Originally Posted by Siggy
Well, Beretta is an Italian company, so some prefer Italian made Berettas. 1911's and revolvers are mostly made by US companies (at least most of the good ones), thus it is natural that people will perfer American made 1911's and revolvers. That said, the consensus seems to be that US made Berettas are the same quality as the Italians.

I suspect I will find this to be true..

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I was kidding; 80% of my firearms are American made Ruger and S&W. I even have a Maine made Walther PPK.. My comment was more surprise than disappointment, I thought all Beretta firearms were made in Italy, but I won't lose any sleep over it..

I suspect I will find this to be true..

I had no idea any Walthers were made in Maine!

And I've handled both Italian and domestic Berettas and couldn't appreciate any difference between them. If anything, the castings on the US made one were a little crisper. Might have been an isolated example.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I thought Beretta was required to build a factory here in the US as a condition of winning the M9 (pistol) contract with the US .mil? I don't have a lot of personal experiences with the Beretta M9 because I prefer the frame-mounted safety on the Taurus PT99 (?).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of Berettas ...

A few months ago I committed myself to only buying revolvers or automatics that are DA/SA with a slide-mounted decocker/safety in which the top position is live, for ease of cross-training.

Now that little PX4 subcompact in .40 is looking more attractive, I just don't know about the width for practical concealment - looks like I'd have to size pants up by 2 for IWB cary!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And speaking of IWB:

Here are a few pics I took of my Crossbreed Super-tuck custom holster after a couple months of breaking-in. I love the way it moulds to the body yet still gives the kydex retention and double clip anchoring. Adjustability for cant is great and I also have J-hooks for tucking though I don't bother with these (the clips aren't that noticeable to mot people are provide an excellent lock-down). I also got one of their custom gun belts in the same order.

Highly recommended!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

imgp2041x.jpg

imgp2047.jpg

imgp2043q.jpg

imgp2044u.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very cool^

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Justin, do you have your pants made with an extra 3-4" (?) to accommodate the IWB? I'm ashamed to say I'm too lazy to have all my pants redone so I'm sticking to pocket carry for the time being.
uhoh.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Justin, do you have your pants made with an extra 3-4" (?) to accommodate the IWB? I'm ashamed to say I'm too lazy to have all my pants redone so I'm sticking to pocket carry for the time being.
uhoh.gif

I found sizing up one to be the best compromise with a slim auto (like the BDA/84FS pictured). I normally wear a 31 and 32 seems pretty comfortable at the waist for a slim IWB carry, though they tend to sit a little higher. Sizing up by two might be better (though I'm not sure) but would look awful when I pocket carry.

The only downside to the Supertuck is that it isn't easy to slip it on and off in the car. If I have to run in to a post office or school building, I leave the pistol in the car and keep the holster on.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Speaking of Berettas ...

A few months ago I committed myself to only buying revolvers or automatics that are DA/SA with a slide-mounted decocker/safety in which the top position is live, for ease of cross-training.

Now that little PX4 subcompact in .40 is looking more attractive, I just don't know about the width for practical concealment - looks like I'd have to size pants up by 2 for IWB cary!

It's slightly thick, but depending on body type, concealing might not be an issue (the same with people who CC Glock 26's, M&P subcompacts, and XD subs. I'm too skinny to effectively pull it off, especially during the Spring/Summer. This is why I'm limited to the Kahr's and J-frames.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of IWB:

Here are a few pics I took of my Crossbreed Super-tuck custom holster after a couple months of breaking-in. I love the way it moulds to the body yet still gives the kydex retention and double clip anchoring. Adjustability for cant is great and I also have J-hooks for tucking though I don't bother with these (the clips aren't that noticeable to mot people are provide an excellent lock-down). I also got one of their custom gun belts in the same order.

Highly recommended!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

imgp2043q.jpg

Justin...what made you decide to go IWB? That holster seems pretty sweet.

...and if I'm not mistaken, I thought you were a lefty.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy

Very true...it's funny, because prior to buying my Storm, I was reluctant to buy a non-U.S. produced firearm. After handling it, It seemed that it was molded to fit my hands. My rules/desires changed rather quickly.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Justin...what made you decide to go IWB? That holster seems pretty sweet.

...and if I'm not mistaken, I thought you were a lefty.

I like IWB for easy concealment and versatility with a Summer wardrobe. I've probably gone through a dozen cheapish single-hook IWB holsters in the past few years - this is my first custom quality holster.

Yep it's a lefty holster - the photo was taken in the mirror.
wink.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's slightly thick, but depending on body type, concealing might not be an issue (the same with people who CC Glock 26's, M&P subcompacts, and XD subs. I'm too skinny to effectively pull it off, especially during the Spring/Summer. This is why I'm limited to the Kahr's and J-frames.

Would it work for pocket carry in jeans? 9mm or .40?

I'm thinking of trading my 340CT if I can get a good deal.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it work for pocket carry in jeans? 9mm or .40?

I'm thinking of trading my 340CT if I can get a good deal.

Justin, you defy the odds. You're slim like me, but yet you're able to pocket carry a J-frame in warm weather clothing. When I attempt the same thing, it seems as if I have a strangely formed erection.

The SC Storm would make a good IWB gun, but it's a little thick for pocket carry IMO. Have you considered the Kahr CW-9? The build quality is a little less, but it's slimmer and more compact.

P.S. Are you sure you're willing to let go of the J-frame? I personally believe every fan should have atleast one wheelgun in their collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads