• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Electricity
Can someone recommend a raw jean for under $200 that fits in between A.P.C New Cure and New Standard? Also I prefer minimal details a la A.P.C.
Acne Max

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Electricity
Can someone recommend a raw jean for under $200 that fits in between A.P.C New Cure and New Standard? Also I prefer minimal details a la A.P.C.
I really gotta figure out why this thread doesn't some up in some searches. You searched, right? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881 The Tellason is a good bet. Edwin has some good options. The Uniqlo made in Japan slim fit is awesome when you can find them in NYC.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoshimagikmagik
reposting because i had no responses. if you all have any thoughts id really appreciate any guidance, thanks!
I have/had three of them (no IH - heavyweight for heavyweight sake is for posers, imo). Of the four, you want the BSP if you really want a slim tapered fit. The SG 1005 and FH 1001 are cut almost identically, which is a slim fit straight leg from the knee down (almost no taper at all). I'm preferring that cut these days because it's more neutral and less 'statement', but I also like a tapered cut. Based on your description of needing a roomier thigh and a smaller leg opening, but a slim overall cut, I could also seriously consider Warehouse 660 cut, Skull 5010. and Samurai 0500xx. All are more tapered than you might think, and still very slim. Consider your rise preferences too. The BSP, Skull and WH have a moderately low rise compared to traditional Levis '66 tapered cuts.

three_man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
99.99% chance they're fake. Sorry
eh.gif

you sure bro, they have the small levis red tag and red selvage line ill post pics....
levi1.jpg
levi2.jpg
levi3.jpg
still,, if theyre fake I'm returning them.

Branches

Reaction score
I've got a question about 501 STF's.

I just got a pair today and I soaked them up and what not and they fit well in the waist and inseam.

However they're not really as slim as I would like in the legs (especially the thighs).

If I soak them again will they slim up a bit or am I pretty much stuck with what I got?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by three_man
you sure bro, they have the small levis red tag and red selvage line ill post pics....
levi3.jpg

Selvage denim is by no means an indicator of quality. At all. Red tag is the most copied thing on earth. It's evident from the crap-assed back-pocket stitching alone, let alone the patch (which, if copied, is now being pursued even in china), missing back rivets, black fly button, etc. If those are Levis, I'm scared for what's to come. I have no idea what Levis makes for the third-world countries where they're now making products which aren't offered in the west, but I think those are cheap offshore knock-offs. However, I don't know enough about those new low-level jeans they're making to say with certainty. Levis are renowned for pasting their logo and graphics on everything. Very few Levis after 1900 were made without a patch. Levis takes their branding very seriously to distinguish themselves from fakes. Were those sold as Levis Vintage repros? LVC info is easily found here for comparison:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you sure bro, they have the small levis red tag and red selvage line ill post pics.... still,, if theyre fake I'm returning them.
The fakest jeans I've ever seen. No respectable company would leave visible bartacking, I'm not even sure how you can have that from a construction standpoint

three_man

Reaction score
Thanks for authenticating. I have received a refund and have shipped it back to the seller.

I'm surprised this was a fake because:

a) it had a selvage inseam

b) it came from the US from a power seller with 100% feedback.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
yes. really.

Not sure why he was being snarky, it's a valid question. Levis STF will experience a second shrink when worn and then soaked or washed again. But it may not be much. What you have is pretty much close to the fit they'll have.

But I suggest soaking again anyway. Hot water, for 1/2 hour. If you want, machine dry them hot once the jeans are damp. It can make a difference.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
I have/had three of them (no IH - heavyweight for heavyweight sake is for posers, imo).

Of the four, you want the BSP if you really want a slim tapered fit. The SG 1005 and FH 1001 are cut almost identically, which is a slim fit straight leg from the knee down (almost no taper at all). I'm preferring that cut these days because it's more neutral and less 'statement', but I also like a tapered cut.

Based on your description of needing a roomier thigh and a smaller leg opening, but a slim overall cut, I could also seriously consider Warehouse 660 cut, Skull 5010. and Samurai 0500xx. All are more tapered than you might think, and still very slim.

Consider your rise preferences too. The BSP, Skull and WH have a moderately low rise compared to traditional Levis '66 tapered cuts.

Thanks so much mlyngard, that definitely helps. ill check out the warehouse/skull/samurai jeans as well, but ya i think im leaning towards the bsp.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
levi1.jpg
levi2.jpg
levi3.jpg

It's not even Levis' signature red freaking selvage... wow totally fake. I mean, it COULD be real and just a fucked up/limited run of the jeans, but I doubt it. The cinch should have a buckle, unless you took it off, and front button should be white. But **** all, the chainstitch is still purddy

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Anyone have a link online of some thread to repair jeans with? I wish to purchase some since my sugar canes in the crotch are starting to get worn...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads