• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give your best advice to an expecting father

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I thought I would bump this to ask other fathers what they did when their toddler climbed out of the crib. Got a call today from the nanny saying that she heard one of the boys screaming during the nap, went to the bedroom and saw him hanging out of the crib, holding to the rail. Evidently, he can now climb out of it.

Some say it means it's time for a toddler bed but this little guy always takes 20mn to fall asleep so I don't want him to get out of bed and be miserable all day because he lacks sleep...

What did you guys do? When is it the right time to graduate to a toddler bed?

My oldest daughter never climbed out of her crib. We moved her to a bed when she was 2 1/2 and her sister was on the way. We actually moved her into a Queen sized bed and got guard rails for it. She adjusted very easily.

We got our youngest a toddler bed at about the same age. She started climbing out of her crib all the time, to the point that it wasn't an obstacle any more. We figured instead of risking having her fall and hurt herself we might as well give in. It made getting her to sleep more difficult though since it is easier for her to get out of bed. In the past few months she has adjusted and now at least stays in her bed, whether she is sleeping or not.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Obviously, I don't want him to fall and get hurt. But he's only 17 months and is already a fussy sleeper/napper so I am not sure if letting him trot out of bed without even trying to go to sleep is a great solution...

GT - did you try to reason or discipline him to accept that climbing out is big no no and not allowed ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Obviously, I don't want him to fall and get hurt. But he's only 17 months and is already a fussy sleeper/napper so I am not sure if letting him trot out of bed without even trying to go to sleep is a great solution...

GT - did you try to reason or discipline him to accept that climbing out is big no no and not allowed ?

oy.... 17 months is so hard in terms of discipline. we would tell him, over and over again, that he had to stay in bed at certain times, and it worked pretty well, but I think he was just a little older, maybe 18-20 months.

by the way, we got a little time out of it by moving the crib away from the wall, he was using leverage on the wall to climb out, and without that it took him a little longer. you might try to figure out how he is climbing, and see if you can prevent it physically (by shifing the crib or something, not barbed wire).

good luck

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
not barbed wire
laugh.gif

Thanks. I think we'll try to reason him. He's reasonably good at not doing forbidden things (at least in front of us...) so it may work for a little bit.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Can't you just put a board on top of the crib, then put some heavy books on top so it can't get out?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Thanks. I think we'll try to reason him. He's reasonably good at not doing forbidden things (at least in front of us...) so it may work for a little bit.

good luck, like I said the girls have been great with staying in bed. my wife may have yelded once

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toddler bed with padding on the floor at the open end. Also helps with potty training.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

You can also try a crib tent. Same principle as Eason recommended but a tad more civilized and less chance of developing into the Hulk at an early age.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15029080

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
You can also try a crib tent. Same principle as Eason recommended but a tad more civilized and less chance of developing into the Hulk at an early age.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15029080

I thought about it but read this and it freaked me out a little...

Please be careful with crib tents a freinds little boy was trying to get out of his crib somehow he got it open and tried to climb out and well ...he hung himself. he must have gotten stuck somewhere on the tent and now he is 1 and almost brain dead. Please be careful ..
http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-tod...-a-big_6724.bc

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about it but read this and it freaked me out a little...

http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-tod...-a-big_6724.bc

That would freak me out too. I never used one and never really looked into them. I know some friends have used them with success. I don't know enough about them to know if they are safe or not.

I will say many, not all, but many of the tragic accidents I have read about seem to involve error in the original set up of cribs, car seats, etc. I have helped numerous friends and aquaintances install their car seats properly because neither of the parents figured out how to do it correctly. I am not sure if that would be enough to make me try a crib tent or not though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
That would freak me out too. I never used one and never really looked into them. I know some friends have used them with success. I don't know enough about them to know if they are safe or not.

I will say many, not all, but many of the tragic accidents I have read about seem to involve error in the original set up of cribs, car seats, etc. I have helped numerous friends and aquaintances install their car seats properly because neither of the parents figured out how to do it correctly. I am not sure if that would be enough to make me try a crib tent or not though.

kids do the weirdest things, I have a feeling that it is better not to try to use devices to limit or control them, not because of the whole granola thing, but because you don't want them cought in something and breaking a limb or getting strangled.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, but it's a ****** and short-term purchase. ours spent 6-10 months in a toddler bed before graduating to a twin bed. might best be served getting a twin boxspring and mattress and using that until they are big enough for a platform or bed frame.

I thought I would bump this to ask other fathers what they did when their toddler climbed out of the crib. Got a call today from the nanny saying that she heard one of the boys screaming during the nap, went to the bedroom and saw him hanging out of the crib, holding to the rail. Evidently, he can now climb out of it.

Some say it means it's time for a toddler bed but this little guy always takes 20mn to fall asleep so I don't want him to get out of bed and be miserable all day because he lacks sleep...

What did you guys do? When is it the right time to graduate to a toddler bed?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads