• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
So Mike, to double check....so are the shorts NOT machine washable? I thought I recalled you saying somewhere that they were, but on the inside tag it says dry clean only. I'm speaking of the khaki cotton and seersuckers only.

Hey everyone,

My apologies, our workshop put on the wrong care label. All of the cotton pants and shorts are absolutely machine washable. Only the tropical wool and linen pieces have to be dry cleaned.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
4669503548_806e403610.jpg

Bailey for Epaulet Shantung "Rudie" Hat: $75

A Message to you Rudie...

Epaulet and Bailey hats present an exclusive collaborative fedora - the "Rudie." Designed with a stingy 1 1/2" snap brim, classic 1960's crown, and slim grosgrain hat band, the Rudie is that perfect old-school fedora that can be worn with a suit & tie or a polo & denim. This Spring/Summer edition is handmade in natural colored Shantung. Milled in Japan and locally known as Washi, Shantung is a fibrous paper that's rolled and treated to mimic straw. It's water-resistant, crushable (it can be folded lengthwise), and extremely light and airy. As a collaborative design between Bailey and Epaulet, the Rudie is only available here.

4669504258_aa2c886edb.jpg

4668879531_bceb4e97d0.jpg

slappy

Reaction score
Hey I noticed something strange on my madras shorts. The fabric is very smooth and extremely lightweight. However the area where the crotch comes together, basically on the very bottom of the ass of the shorts, the fabric is really rough and different feeling. I noticed it while adjusting my shorts while wearing them. The roughness seems to be caused by lots of small little lint balls, though I cant seem to get them off. I haven't washed the shorts yet, do you think that would remove this rough area?

Edit: Actually it doesnt appear to be lint, it's as if strands of the fabric have been pulled upwards. So instead of being smooth there are fabric strands sticking outward which makes it feel rough, also it looks different.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pilling.. it's going to happen on most fabrics at any areas of higher wear.

harryc

Reaction score
I got the chambray walts a few days back and I am impressed. I just have to get them hemmed but the fit is spot on. The fabric has a great color and feel. I will definitely have to add more walts into my wardrobe.

My next purchase will be those olive drab chinos. That and I must visit the store to try that fedora on!!! That fedora will be mine.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in NY last week visiting friends and finally got a chance to visit Epaulet in person. Mike and Adele were as helpful in person as they are online or on the phone. I somehow left with a pair of Alden Indy Two Stroke boots, a red chambray and the new Rudie fedora (how did that happen???). Seriously, the Indy's are going to be perfect for my trip to Europe this August, I may only need to pack one pair of shoes. A friend that was with me bought a pair of the Hoyt contrast stitch jeans. He told me later that Adele's customer service won him over.

Mike and Adele are setting the bar for great products and customer service. I never feel that I am a tester for unfinished products when buying from Epaulet and Mike and Adele are always prompt with answers and recommendations.

There is a reason so many of us are choosing to purchase from Epaulet.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post scott - cool to know that the experience in person is the same as it is on the interwebs. I am with your friend - having such great service and enthusiasm is a winning combo. I think it's also pretty much in stark contrast to most other retailers.

I purchased my first two shirts from them this week, so I am no long-term customer or anything, but the nice packaging, the great cut of the shirts, the hand-written note thanking me for purchasing, all of that stuff adds up.

I got the red oxford (ridiculously awesome) and the pinpoint blue - the pinpoint blue is dressier than I was expecting, and cut a little thinner than the oxford, and i was planning on exchanging it. But then, I was thinking about how i don't have too many thin dressy shirts, and that this actually fills a need for me. So, instead of exchanging, i am just going to purchase the violet madras as well. I was also swayed by the experience/service/attitude. Good stuff.

spenser

Reaction score
^^ That all sounds great Pemulis, but why did you put the DMZ on Hal's toothbrush?

Another new customer here, loving my red chambray. The bright red color really stands out against dark denim or navy chinos. Should be interesting to see how it'll fade from sun exposure and washing.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was disoriented from my three day eschaton session, i didn't know what i was doing. no need to call in the wheelchair assasins on me brother. :)

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike-
When will you be putting up the black tropical wool walts for pre-order?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Hey I noticed something strange on my madras shorts. The fabric is very smooth and extremely lightweight. However the area where the crotch comes together, basically on the very bottom of the ass of the shorts, the fabric is really rough and different feeling. I noticed it while adjusting my shorts while wearing them. The roughness seems to be caused by lots of small little lint balls, though I cant seem to get them off. I haven't washed the shorts yet, do you think that would remove this rough area? Edit: Actually it doesnt appear to be lint, it's as if strands of the fabric have been pulled upwards. So instead of being smooth there are fabric strands sticking outward which makes it feel rough, also it looks different.
Hey Slappy, It's just a bit of pilling. I've got the same thing happening on my shorts. Because the Madras is a long-staple natural cotton fiber with a very open weave, it will happen a bit in the crotch and inner thigh. It's a natural thing that's caused from loose fibers at the top of weave - and it's common in cotton trousers done in lightweight, gauzy cottons. I'm not sure if washing will totally remove it, but it will make the pilling less pronounced, as water tamps down those loose fibers at the surface. Either way, it won't really be noticeable.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryc
I got the chambray walts a few days back and I am impressed. I just have to get them hemmed but the fit is spot on. The fabric has a great color and feel. I will definitely have to add more walts into my wardrobe.

My next purchase will be those olive drab chinos. That and I must visit the store to try that fedora on!!! That fedora will be mine.

Thanks Harry - please stop by anytime!

Originally Posted by scottcw
I was in NY last week visiting friends and finally got a chance to visit Epaulet in person. Mike and Adele were as helpful in person as they are online or on the phone. I somehow left with a pair of Alden Indy Two Stroke boots, a red chambray and the new Rudie fedora (how did that happen???). Seriously, the Indy's are going to be perfect for my trip to Europe this August, I may only need to pack one pair of shoes. A friend that was with me bought a pair of the Hoyt contrast stitch jeans. He told me later that Adele's customer service won him over.

Mike and Adele are setting the bar for great products and customer service. I never feel that I am a tester for unfinished products when buying from Epaulet and Mike and Adele are always prompt with answers and recommendations.

There is a reason so many of us are choosing to purchase from Epaulet.

Thanks so much Scott, we really appreciate all of your support and it was great meeting you. Nice work on that tat!

Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
Great post scott - cool to know that the experience in person is the same as it is on the interwebs. I am with your friend - having such great service and enthusiasm is a winning combo. I think it's also pretty much in stark contrast to most other retailers.

I purchased my first two shirts from them this week, so I am no long-term customer or anything, but the nice packaging, the great cut of the shirts, the hand-written note thanking me for purchasing, all of that stuff adds up.

I got the red oxford (ridiculously awesome) and the pinpoint blue - the pinpoint blue is dressier than I was expecting, and cut a little thinner than the oxford, and i was planning on exchanging it. But then, I was thinking about how i don't have too many thin dressy shirts, and that this actually fills a need for me. So, instead of exchanging, i am just going to purchase the violet madras as well. I was also swayed by the experience/service/attitude. Good stuff.

Thanks Michael! Good call on the pinpoint - I think that it's one of the most versatile shirts that we make. It looks great with a tie if you're going to dress it up. We really appreciate your business.

Originally Posted by spenser
^^ That all sounds great Pemulis, but why did you put the DMZ on Hal's toothbrush?

Another new customer here, loving my red chambray. The bright red color really stands out against dark denim or navy chinos. Should be interesting to see how it'll fade from sun exposure and washing.

Thank you sir! And please send some faded chambray shots down the road. They're like fabric Appreciation for us!

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
i was disoriented from my three day eschaton session, i didn't know what i was doing. no need to call in the wheelchair assasins on me brother. :)

Love your user name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads