• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Breakfast. If you can stomach it, just break a few eggs, stir them up and drink 'em raw. That's what I do since I am too lazy to cook in the morning. If not, you can microwave the eggs for a minute or so, stirring after 45 secs.

I've been trying to bulk up the last 2 months or so with decent results, gaining about 6-7lbs to 152lbs (at 5' 8"). Going on a trip at the end of June, so started to work on the glamour muscles from my usual squat-dead-shoulder-bench routine but am finding them horrendously boring.

Also planning to do some cutting about 7-10 days prior to leaving on the trip with a bunch of HIIT, maybe hot yoga, and absolutely no junk food, beer or liquor.

vancevalter66

Reaction score
The point which I want to add for daily exercise is:
Crunch in Bed:Before we get out of bed in the morning, do 10 stomach crunches while lying on the mattress evenly. Increasing daily until you get a 100 even think ever get there? Try it. You may set the clock to wake up 15 minutes earlier, a small price to pay for the flat stomach.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent tonight thinking hard on starting up Wendler's 5/3/1 after my next plateau. Any thoughts on it?

I like the programmed deload weeks.

I like the way lifts are expressed in terms of one's 1RM. It gives me more confidence that mathematically I should be able to perform as opposed to throwing on 5 lbs and hoping I'm ok 5x5.

I feel I have had some recent success the past month and two things are to thank for it:

1) Weighted chins, inverted rows, pullups, pushups.
2) Throwing up heavier weights on my third workout each week and doing 3x3.

Wendler's has higher volume assistance work for endurance (which I feel I lack), fewer heavy ass sets and fewer heavy ass reps (3x5, 3x3, and 1x5 / 1x3 / 1x1).

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Spent tonight thinking hard on starting up Wendler's 5/3/1 after my next plateau. Any thoughts on it?

I like the way lifts are expressed in terms of one's 1RM. It gives me more confidence that mathematically I should be able to perform as opposed to throwing on 5 lbs and hoping I'm ok 5x5.

I feel I have had some recent success the past month and two things are to thank for it:

Wendler's has higher volume assistance work for endurance (which I feel I lack), fewer heavy ass sets and fewer heavy ass reps (3x5, 3x3, and 1x5 / 1x3 / 1x1).

what are your lifts at now, and what program are you following currently?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are young and a beginner, don't start wendler. I've done a few months of it, but as a stand alone lifting program I don't think its enough volume. I like the Texas Method a lot as something to start after finishing the SS protocol.

I was supposed to go for PR's today but quit after my warm up sets. Felt stiff, sore and weak.

whallyden

Reaction score

I'm just wrapping up my second cycle. Its been a real nice change of pace from the 5x5. I made the switch when my 5x5 progress started to stall. I don't think it would hurt to give it a shot. It does help to have an accurate 1rm for the key lifts -- if you're overly conservative (like I was) the first cycle may not be challenging enough.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
everyone in the gym is saying how big and lean i look but i am only 213, the lightest i've been since i am 18. funny how that works

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
what are your lifts at now, and what program are you following currently?

I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about one year now which is a Starting Strength variant. I have actually had some recent success with it, so I don't want to rock the boat. I have a 5x5 BW front squat and hope to have a 5x5 BW bench by the end of summer. I just switched back to high bar back squats and am not sure how far I will be able to take them before I plateau again.

I have just hit "novice" according to:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

Originally Posted by jaydc7
If you are young and a beginner, don't start wendler. I've done a few months of it, but as a stand alone lifting program I don't think its enough volume. I like the Texas Method a lot as something to start after finishing the SS protocol.

Well, I'm not that young. The only reason I would not call myself a beginner is that I plateau a lot. I would say anyone who squats less than 1.5 bw and benches less than bw is a beginner and that's still me, but that is a bit arbitrary. A 50 yr old who begins training for the first time might be intermediate at a bw squat.

I just looked at the Texas Method real quick and it looks very similar to 5/3/1. I wasn't worried about volume with 5/3/1 - there is the Boring But Big option which has an awful lot of volume...

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about one year now which is a Starting Strength variant. I have actually had some recent success with it, so I don't want to rock the boat. I have a 5x5 BW front squat and hope to have a 5x5 BW bench by the end of summer. I just switched back to high bar back squats and am not sure how far I will be able to take them before I plateau again.

I have just hit "novice" according to:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

Well, I'm not that young. The only reason I would not call myself a beginner is that I plateau a lot. I would say anyone who squats less than 1.5 bw and benches less than bw is a beginner and that's still me, but that is a bit arbitrary. A 50 yr old who begins training for the first time might be intermediate at a bw squat.

Have you tried dropping the volume to SS 3x5?

You may want to ask questions over at the SS forum.

I just looked at the Texas Method real quick and it looks very similar to 5/3/1. I wasn't worried about volume with 5/3/1 - there is the Boring But Big option which has an awful lot of volume...
In TM the intensity for each lift is cycled across three workouts over two weeks (over one week for squats). PRs should come every third workout. In 5/3/1 it's cycled over a month.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you beginners, how NOT to use the treadmill.

treadmill_gangsta.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried dropping the volume to SS 3x5?

I've dropped the volume on my 3rd day work out as per 'why's suggestion to 3x3 and been using the smaller sets to move a heavier weight. I do like doing this - it gets me accustomed to heavier stuff - and I really think it's working, too.

You may want to ask questions over at the SS forum.

I haven't really browsed that forum before, but I have a lot of time at work to browse and read the web, so I'll destroy it late next week.

In TM the intensity for each lift is cycled across three workouts over two weeks (over one week for squats). PRs should come every third workout. In 5/3/1 it's cycled over a month.

I'm ok with 3 vs 4 week PR's. I assume I won't get weaker on Wendler and the extra volume in the summer could perhaps be my cardio. But I am probably not going to **** with changing my program right now. The 3x3 Fridays thing seems to be really working out for me, as well as weighted versions of body weight exercises.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
For you beginners, how NOT to use the treadmill.

treadmill_gangsta.gif

This gif cuts off too early. After the tumble, he puts his elbow back on the treadmill and gets whipped around again. You can see the beginning of it on this one.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another good one:
620131942.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
everyone in the gym is saying how big and lean i look but i am only 213, the lightest i've been since i am 18. funny how that works

Yup- definition = "bigger" in most peoples eyes.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
This gif cuts off too early. After the tumble, he puts his elbow back on the treadmill and gets whipped around again. You can see the beginning of it on this one.

But LOL at the flying flip-flops

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads