• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top quality belts

pendragon

Reaction score
I have several Martin Dingman belts that I've always found to be good quality at a reasonable price.

pkiula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
+1 on Banana Republic belts. They are good and inexpensive.
Same with Nautica. They have a reversible belt that I've been using nearly daily for 3 years now. It still looks very presentable. Just to have a brand to wear, I similarly got a reversible brown/black from Hugo Boss, which is just not as good. In belts, I'm a convert: I'll get Nautica, or Perry Ellis, or even Banana Republic. No point bothering with expensive brands. Keep it simple.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
In belts, I'm a convert: I'll get Nautica, or Perry Ellis, or even Banana Republic. No point bothering with expensive brands. Keep it simple.

I'm going to say the same as I said in a previous thread about expensive belts. The problem people are having is that the designer brands are delivering frankly rubbish belts for the price they are charging. There are good quality belts around that represent value for money and quality, belts that will look good when new and better 10 or 15 years later and dont cost the ridiculous prices some of the designer brands (who have no background in leather at all) charge. They will be a bit more expensive than a bog standard high street/mall belt, but will be of far higher quality.

Charlie

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Equus Leather
I'm going to say the same as I said in a previous thread about expensive belts. The problem people are having is that the designer brands are delivering frankly rubbish belts for the price they are charging. There are good quality belts around that represent value for money and quality, belts that will look good when new and better 10 or 15 years later and dont cost the ridiculous prices some of the designer brands (who have no background in leather at all) charge. They will be a bit more expensive than a bog standard high street/mall belt, but will be of far higher quality.

Charlie

I've been thinking about this, and I've concluded it's not quite this simple. I've seen your belts, and they look like they're lovely quality. If I wanted a belt to pass on to my grandkids, it would be yours. But that doesn't mean designer belts are overpriced, because they aren't quality-based (although, undeniably, they are far higher quality than $30 belts). They're design-based. To a consumer with a low aesthetic sensitivity, a designer item is a rip-off. If you can see what you're paying for, it can make sense.

jsherman02

Reaction score
The best belts I have used are W. Kleinberg and House of Fleming.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
I've been thinking about this, and I've concluded it's not quite this simple. I've seen your belts, and they look like they're lovely quality. If I wanted a belt to pass on to my grandkids, it would be yours.

But that doesn't mean designer belts are overpriced, because they aren't quality-based (although, undeniably, they are far higher quality than $30 belts). They're design-based. To a consumer with a low aesthetic sensitivity, a designer item is a rip-off. If you can see what you're paying for, it can make sense.

A different perspective, and one that is just as valid as mine. Personally I think the beauty is in beautiful leather, metalwork and the craftsmanship to put it together. I dont think that says I have a low aesthetic sensitivity though, because I think that well made leather and leatherwork is beautiful in its own right. I do think that everyone has different aesthetic values though and value different areas of a design, all equally valid. If one derives pleasure from a product and feels it was value for money then I guess it is good value.

I have to say though, given a multi $hundred belt, a lot of the designer types could spend more on materials and construction. Some are good - Hermes uses very nice buckles for eg, some others are less so. Just my opinion and others may disagree of course.

Charlie

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
I worded my message very poorly. When I said aesthetic, I meant design (aesthetic sensitivity should be design sensitivity). I completely agree that beautiful leather has tremendous aesthetic value.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TomCH

Reaction score
Suede is always casual and never formal and cannot be worn on a suit.
It could work on sports wear, but it depends. Maybe its a bit too dressed

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
The best (expensive), status symbol is as ever Hermes.

I've a collection of Boss and the best is soft black leather with black ratchet hub (with the "Boss" logo), allows an exact tight fit of the pants so the seat is precisely in position. Casual belts .. Paul Smith (may not be big in US)

No brand bespoke: to be honest Bolivia caiman leather belts can be very high quality and low price (in Bolivia).

Silhouette

Reaction score
I'm looking for belts with quality (!) which can be found below £50, €75 or 500 SEK. This thread go way back and I question its actuality. Can anybody propose some manufacturers or retailers? I have seen that the shoemanufacturer Meermin offers belts at reasonable prices but I have no notion of how they stand qualitywise.

Kind regards,
Johan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics