• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberDyologzz

Reaction score
Just a quick question: Any feedback on hats from Truffaux? They sell handmade Panama hats and are based in Australia. I'm really really digging their Kerouac model, but I wanted to check in with you guys first in case some have gotten bad experiences from their products.

click here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Did get a lovel pair of RM Williams from Bondi for 260 down from 390 though.

Are all RM Williams boots on sale or was that a one off thing?

CBJimmy

Reaction score
Where is the RM Williams sale jaypee? I am going down to the city tomorrow to get some new shoes.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RM Store bondi was on sale and I think city George st store is also.

All models were on sale.

390 down to 260
800 down to 600
900 down to 700

they were the ones I saw.

All models and sizes pretty much

CBJimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
No RM sale at DJ's in Melbourne
frown.gif

Did you check the Melbourne Central RM Williams store by any chance? Is anything on sale given it is around the end of financial year at the moment?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
In the change rooms at dj's and have a zzegna suit on...seems to fit well but is $695 the best price I will find? Update: put it back to have a think about it, probably need new shoes over a new suit
frown.gif

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
In the change rooms at dj's and have a zzegna suit on...seems to fit well but is $695 the best price I will find?
Update: put it back to have a think about it, probably need new shoes over a new suit
frown.gif

Good price for Australian retail. I would advise you to purchase if you have the spare cash. I've generally avoided Zegna because the construction is generally stiffer than I like. But lately in DJs I have seen a few other zegna models that I really like with very soft construction and these are really beautiful

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
In the change rooms at dj's and have a zzegna suit on...seems to fit well but is $695 the best price I will find? Update: put it back to have a think about it, probably need new shoes over a new suit
frown.gif

woooaa - you aren't live tweeting a suit try one from DJs on yr phone are you? Whats next live mobile camera shots of fit from DJs toilet or dressing rooms? WE text back comments?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Good price for Australian retail. I would advise you to purchase if you have the spare cash. I've generally avoided Zegna because the construction is generally stiffer than I like. But lately in DJs I have seen a few other zegna models that I really like with very soft construction and these are really beautiful

Thanks. The price seemed quite good and in all seriousness it was a great fit, but to be honest it would have been an impulse buy. Little point in having a few decent suits with crappy shoes.

Originally Posted by fxh
Whats next live mobile camera shots of fit from DJs toilet or dressing rooms? WE text back comments?

Haha, I did consider taking a photo, but thought that would be a little too much!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Anyone know of any good OTR shirt brands that sell shirts with point collars? It seems like almost all shirts these days are spread collars.
frown.gif

Charvet does, but to the best of my knowledge, you can't get them in Australia.
You can, however, find Charvet shirts on eBay and a few online stores.

As you say, in Australia, point collars are becoming increasingly uncommon on more expensive shirts.

Companies like Ganton still make plenty of point collar shirts, but they're not exactly great shirts although the last time I looked, some of their shirts had removable collar stays.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I don't know why Lloyds get such bad press here. Sure, they're not top flight quality and they are very overpriced at RRP, but I don't think many people would pay RRP.

I have two pairs of their 'Kay' gunboats, one in black and one in tan, and, as well as looking okay they have the massive advantage that their wide fittings are, unlike a lot of the fancier brands, actually wide. They are just about the only shoe I have forund which fits my freak-show wide flappers.

Lloyd's use quite nice leather for the outer layer of their shoes, with some nice colours, but in all other ways they are pretty awful, in my experience. The soles are glued to the uppers, instead of being stitched, and from personal experience I can say that the interior of the soles are not well-made, but they are instead a rubber-like compound with a thin layer of leather applied to the base. None of the cork footbed and good construction that one should, quite reasonably, expect when paying over $300 for a pair of shoes. Furthermore, unless things have changed recently, the toebox of Lloyds shoes are usually lined with fabric, instead of leather, and if your feet rub against the inside of the shoes, the fabric will wear away far, far more rapidly than shoes that are lined with leather. If you don't have the lining repaired, you will start to damage the outer layer of leather, which can lead to splitting.

So, in short, since it is so easy to find great deals on well-made shoes via the internet, I can't imagine ever again buying a pair of Lloyds at any price, as it's just not worth it.

Of course, if you have difficulty finding wider fitting shoes, then that's a good reason to buy them if they fit you well. However, I would have thought that a "G" fitting from a English shoemaker should stand a good chance of fitting you - try looking at Loake or Barkers, for example, on the Herring Shoes website.

Originally Posted by UberDyologzz
Just a quick question:

Any feedback on hats from Truffaux? They sell handmade Panama hats and are based in Australia. I'm really really digging their Kerouac model, but I wanted to check in with you guys first in case some have gotten bad experiences from their products.

They seem a bit overpriced, but I suppose that is par for the course as they are marketing themselves as a fashion brand.

Good Panama hats are largely hand-woven in Ecuador and the prices go up according to the fineness of the weave. For $140 or $150, the weave should be quite fine but looking at the pictures on the Truffaux website, the weave looks quite wide and open - but I guess that is so they can weave patterns into the hats.

They also have very narrow brims, which is of course trendy at present, but if the trend changes in the near future, you'll have a $140 hat which you haven't worn much but which will be out of fashion.

UberDyologzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
They seem a bit overpriced, but I suppose that is par for the course as they are marketing themselves as a fashion brand.

Good Panama hats are largely hand-woven in Ecuador and the prices go up according to the fineness of the weave. For $140 or $150, the weave should be quite fine but looking at the pictures on the Truffaux website, the weave looks quite wide and open - but I guess that is so they can weave patterns into the hats.

They also have very narrow brims, which is of course trendy at present, but if the trend changes in the near future, you'll have a $140 hat which you haven't worn much but which will be out of fashion.

Noted. I guess that's more to think about then. Thanks, Journeyman! Diggin' the name+sig, by the way. Complements each other pretty well. Was that intentional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads