• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather bag/briefcase care and cleaning

mat135ta

Reaction score
How do you guys clean and take care of your leather bags and briefcases? Is A-E cleaner&condition, and Meltonian shoe cream appropriate? Shall I use neutral or London tan for a vintage briefcase in London tan?

I just got a vintage BB Peal & Co. briefcase that is almost identical to Swaine Adeney Brigg Whitehall model

800x800_fitbox-l17d06008003sa018.png

The leather is a bit dry and hard, and it has some scratches. I plan to give it some TLC but don't know how. I tried, but didn't find useful thread in SF.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might depend on the case, the leather and how it's tanned/dyed, etc. However my Glazer bag comes with recommendation to use human skin care products. Specifically they recommend the original formula Nivea (in the blue bottle) as the only care it needs. YMMV.

Rambler

Reaction score
I would recommend the wax that BB sells for their Peal/SAB cases. It's the exact same stuff that SAB includes with their cases. You can order it through classicluggage.com as well. I usually wait until BB has a 25% or higher sale to purchase the wax since it's quite pricey at full retail. But a little goes a long way so it should last for a while.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

It works great and smells pleasant too! It is beeswax based. It has the consistency of vaseline but it absorbs surprisingly quickly. I use it on my SAB Westminster.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambler
I would recommend the wax that BB sells for their Peal/SAB cases. It's the exact same stuff that SAB includes with their cases. You can order it through classicluggage.com as well. I usually wait until BB has a 25% or higher sale to purchase the wax since it's quite pricey at full retail. But a little goes a long way so it should last for a while.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

It works great and smells pleasant too! It is beeswax based. It has the consistency of vaseline but it absorbs surprisingly quickly. I use it on my SAB Westminster.

Thanks for the link. Do you know if the wax can soften the leather?

My briefcase also have some noticeable scratches, so I was wondering if I can use shoe cream to cover them up. It seems on another thread, it is suggested to never use shoe care products. Then is there colored cream for bridle leather with similar effect as shoe creams?

Rambler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
Thanks for the link. Do you know if the wax can soften the leather?

My briefcase also have some noticeable scratches, so I was wondering if I can use shoe cream to cover them up. It seems on another thread, it is suggested to never use shoe care products. Then is there colored cream for bridle leather with similar effect as shoe creams?

I haven't noticed that the wax softens the leather, just gives it a good conditioning and shine. If your case is dry or brittle, it should help in that regard. What I like about it is that it doesn't really affect the color, other than enriching it. It doesn't darken the color like some other leather conditioners do. It's not great at covering up scuffs and scratches, but the scuffs and scratches also add to the character. I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it's REALLY bad. Bridle leather scratches very easily, at least in my experience with SAB, Peal, and Filson. I've also used the wax on my calf leather shoes with great results.

Like others have suggested, I would not use shoe polish on the case. Notwithstanding what it could do to the leather, it'll just rub off on your clothes. I'm not aware of any bridle leather polishes. You might want to inquire with BB or SAB whether they offer some kind of redye/recondition service.

asdf

Reaction score
I haven't noticed that the wax softens the leather, just gives it a good conditioning and shine. If your case is dry or brittle, it should help in that regard. What I like about it is that it doesn't really affect the color, other than enriching it. It doesn't darken the color like some other leather conditioners do. It's not great at covering up scuffs and scratches, but the scuffs and scratches also add to the character. I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it's REALLY bad. Bridle leather scratches very easily, at least in my experience with SAB, Peal, and Filson. I've also used the wax on my calf leather shoes with great results.

Like others have suggested, I would not use shoe polish on the case. Notwithstanding what it could do to the leather, it'll just rub off on your clothes. I'm not aware of any bridle leather polishes. You might want to inquire with BB or SAB whether they offer some kind of redye/recondition service.

IIRC, beeswax is traditionally used for applications where softness is not desired, or so reads Sno-Seal lore

mat135ta

Reaction score

Rambler

Reaction score
I guess the first step is cleaning the briefcase. I understand now that shoe polishes are to be avoided. But for cleaning purpose, is A-E Conditioner/Cleaner acceptable?
2_570_I.jpg

Not sure about the A-E conditioner but I know that Lexol works pretty well and won't damage the leather. Also, a lightly damped cloth could do the trick for simply removing surface dirt and debris.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Not sure about the A-E conditioner but I know that Lexol works pretty well and won't damage the leather. Also, a lightly damped cloth could do the trick for simply removing surface dirt and debris.

Do you mean Lexal Cleaner can be used to clean the bag?

Rambler

Reaction score
Do you mean Lexal Cleaner can be used to clean the bag?

Yes, try it out in a test area and let it fully dry. From there, you'll get an idea of how it will clean and affect the leather.

Product Description
Lexol Leather pH Cleaner Spray, 16.9 oz. Deep-cleans dirt, oil and leftover perspiration salts that build up and destroy leather interiors. Lexol Cleaner is adjusted to the pH of leather, so it will not harm the finish or fibers of the leather. Rinses easily and quickly with water, leaving no residue or dulling film. Apply with either a damp Lexol Applicator Sponge or a damp soft cloth to work up a foam that lifts out the dirt. Rinse thoroughly with another clean, wet sponge or cloth. Once all traces of cleaner have been rinsed off, pat dry with a soft, 100% cotton towel. To keep your interior in top condition, clean the leather about twice a year and immediately follow with Lexol Conditioner. Do not use on suede.

DressingInTheDark

Reaction score
I have been looking for something for my leather portfolio and wallets. Emailed Collonil on the Premium Diamant and they ok-ed it on all leather goods and shoes. Thought i'd share...

1-diamant-cr.jpg

guster

Reaction score
This has been a helpful thread, thanks to those responding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads