• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Letting a suit out

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just took possesion of a lovely new suit. It is a bit tight, but not much. Is there normally an amount that can be let out of the belly area? Or do I need to lose more weight, or not button it?
The pants are almost spot on, but there is plenty of fabric to let out.
Do most manufacturers make suits with a little extra to let out?
The shoulders are perfect, just the area in the button areas are tight.
Thanks!
C

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well losing weight is free (depends, actually) and you might look better for it. I'm not too familiar with suit construction so I won't comment on letting it out.

deantran

Reaction score
Lose more weight. You'll be grateful that you did.
bigstar[1].gif

Chargersfan

Reaction score
You can let a suit jacket or sport coat out in most instances....but it depends on the maker. Feel along the back seam on either side for extra material. If the seams are on the sides instead of the centre back, do the same. If you're not sure, take it to a tailor and they should be able to let you know in secs whether there is anything to let out. Bear in mind that usually you can only let out about 1" tops...

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
You can let a suit jacket or sport coat out in most instances....but it depends on the maker. Feel along the back seam on either side for extra material. If the seams are on the sides instead of the centre back, do the same. If you're not sure, take it to a tailor and they should be able to let you know in secs whether there is anything to let out. Bear in mind that usually you can only let out about 1" tops...

Don't know where you got you're info, but I'm afraid you're rather off the mark. Most factory-made coats have only the seam inlay, without any extra cloth for letting out.

OP:
Take it to a tailor, because if you're very lucky, your coat might be the exception.

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
I had the waist let out, not once but twice, on an RLBL suit that was perfect in the shoulders (I have narrow shoulders). It worked out fine.

You are much better off doing that instead of sizing up until it fits in the waist.

The only question is will the suit take it?

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Stall
Don't know where you got you're info, but I'm afraid you're rather off the mark. Most factory-made coats have only the seam inlay, without any extra cloth for letting out.

OP:
Take it to a tailor, because if you're very lucky, your coat might be the exception.

I got my info from having had this done at my tailor - on more than one occasion. One jacket of which was an Isaia V-base, so not just a cheap 'mall suit'. Fits great now...so I have no idea what you are on about.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Just that as a rule, there isn't any cloth to let out. I've altered plenty, and it's simply not often that you find a coat that does. Maybe manufacturers nowadays are getting wise. In which case, I'm all for it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Wow spammers are really formal. Wearing tuxedos to work.
Formal, but they also don't know the rules. They should be wearing strollers in the daytime.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Hi, I just took possesion of a lovely new suit. It is a bit tight, but not much. Is there normally an amount that can be let out of the belly area? Or do I need to lose more weight, or not button it? The pants are almost spot on, but there is plenty of fabric to let out. Do most manufacturers make suits with a little extra to let out? The shoulders are perfect, just the area in the button areas are tight. Thanks! C
Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP. Just got a blazer off eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach. For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do. Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
I got my info from having had this done at my tailor - on more than one occasion. One jacket of which was an Isaia V-base, so not just a cheap 'mall suit'. Fits great now...so I have no idea what you are on about.

+1. do note though that isaia typically comes with a lot of extra material -- you can even see this in the sleeves (a godsend for long-armed chimps like me.)

i suspect a cheaper suit will have very little extra material, if any.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP.

Just got a blazer on eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach.

For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do.

Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

not a great idea. it will show. the quarters and button point won't overlap in the front as they normally would, and the look will immediately seem off-kilter.

i'm assuming that you are planning on moving the button by more than a few millimeters, obviously. if you are talking only a few mm and this will really make a difference, then i would conclude that the jacket is probably less tight than you think it is and you are better off shedding a couple of pounds...)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP.

Just got a blazer off eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach.

For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do.

Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

I generally don't like doing the button move thing. It throws off the stance in most cases. I have this problem with a few suits with the bottom button. I am pretty slim, but I have these lovehandles that make the quarters of the jacket open up so the bottom button doesn't fall in line with the buttonhole. It is generally last on my list of priorities to get it let out slightly because the bottom button never gets buttoned anyway, but if the top button won't button it would bother me more so that I would seek advice of a tailor. It shouldn't take them too long to advise on whether they can let it out a bit or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads