• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Henryyy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
So I've been wearing my APCs for about 2.5 months and they've lost their crisp stiffness. I still haven't washed them yet but I did buy some extra-stiff starch at Target.

How should I apply this? I'm mainly interested in starching the honeycombs. Do I just starch the **** out of it while it's in its natural semi-crinkled state? Or should I stretch the jeans out so they're straight and not bent due to the natural curvature of the honeycomb creases and THEN starch teh **** out of it?

Don't starch them yet. You've only been wearing them for 2.5 months. Your jeans are supposed to lose their crisp stiffness. Keep wearing them until your first wash and do a hang dry. After you hang dry, they should be crisp due to the sun. You CAN starch them after you hang dry them if you want more drastic combs.

You're supposed to mix/dilute the starch with water and use a spray. Some use 3 parts water 1 part starch, some 2 parts water 1 part starch.

I've had my APCs for 12 months now, one wash one soak. I wouldn't starch them if I were you... they turn out to be beautiful after just wear and washing alone.

Rolfi

Reaction score
starching and not washing them will shorten the lifespan of your jeans

that_was_easy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by that_was_easy
The problem is my friend he does not have a jean. He is also, however, now without a GF and being that he's pretty into the RAB (rockabilly/greaser) scene wants a pair of legit repro jeans.

I'm familiar with some repros out there. He wants something as heavyweight as possible without sacrificing a very traditional selvage, relaxed repro cut. What can you give me?

Because I wrote this post in haste, some clarifications:

-consider price to be no object, I just want to know what options exist
-I don't think the standard LVC or Sugar Cane '47 cuts are going to be heavy enough
-So, anything approximating an LVC or SC '47 cut, but, with a heavier weight is ideal
-LHT vs. RHT does not matter
-Any wash or dry or raw makes no difference, for now.

I thought I'd seen a '47 cut made by SDA or Momotaro, but I can't seem to find reference to anything with my searches. Help me recommend!!!
nod[1].gif

gordon jraber

Reaction score
anyone have experience with denim doctor or self edge repair service?

i need a repair in the inner thigh, near the seam, under the crotch.

whats the typical turnaround time for repairs?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by that_was_easy
Because I wrote this post in haste, some clarifications: -consider price to be no object, I just want to know what options exist -I don't think the standard LVC or Sugar Cane '47 cuts are going to be heavy enough -So, anything approximating an LVC or SC '47 cut, but, with a heavier weight is ideal -LHT vs. RHT does not matter -Any wash or dry or raw makes no difference, for now. I thought I'd seen a '47 cut made by SDA or Momotaro, but I can't seem to find reference to anything with my searches. Help me recommend!!!
nod[1].gif

There's lots of '47 repros - that's the baseline for a lot of models. But how faithful they are to the original cut is a matter of degree. Heavier-weight denim is a deviation from the original Levis 12oz cloth, so couldn't be considered a true repro. He might be best off with the historically accurate Levis LVC '47 model if he wants true period authenticity. He'll also want to consider a '55 cut (wider straight leg) if he's into the RAB scene - the '47 is the slimmest vintage cuts. Take a look at Warehouse, Evisu MIJ, The Flat Head, Fullcount, Denime, Samurai, even Skull. Momotaro has the 0201 which is a somewhat vintage cut (more '66 tapered though). Awesome denim though. I've found that many of the Japanese companies have more 'repro' cuts, but they aren't always available via the US shops. Take a look at some of the Japanese e-tailers.

that_was_easy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
There's lots of '47 repros - that's the baseline for a lot of models. But how faithful they are to the original cut is a matter of degree. Heavier-weight denim is a deviation from the original Levis 12oz cloth, so couldn't be considered a true repro. He might be best off with the historically accurate Levis LVC '47 model if he wants true period authenticity.

He'll also want to consider a '55 cut (wider straight leg) if he's into the RAB scene - the '47 is the slimmest vintage cuts. Take a look at Warehouse, Evisu MIJ, The Flat Head, Fullcount, Denime, Samurai, even Skull. Momotaro has the 0201 which is a somewhat vintage cut (more '66 tapered though). Awesome denim though.

I've found that many of the Japanese companies have more 'repro' cuts, but they aren't always available via the US shops. Take a look at some of the Japanese e-tailers.

Many thanks mlyngard, especially for adding the bits on the '55 cut's, etc.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone who has owned both can chime in on this - Flathead vs Pure Blue Japan for fast fades? I'm hoping to pick up a pair of jeans which fade novelty quick like.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair of high end denim: Is Nudie Grim Tim Raw Dry Organic denim a good choice? It fits me really well. I tried on the pair they have at Barney's Co-Op (Dark Crinkle) and I really liked the treatment, but wasn't keen on getting a pair of distressed denim. The knee distressing is a bit low for my knees also. Am I right in this decision? Or should I just get them since they're on sale for $159.

I tried on APCs New Standards and New Cure, Levi's M&C, and Naked and Famous, but none of them fit my thighs well.

I also am going to Japan for a month in July. Should I wait to pick up some japanese raw denim instead? Any brands I should keep an eye out for that fits like the Grim Tims?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nudie construction is ****** at retail, but for $159 it may be worth it. They're notorious for crotch blowouts though

Alec_Jan

Reaction score
Quick question -- any online shops (or in SanFran) where I can pick up some DH 19 cm mij raw denim?

Thanks in advance

Henryyy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alec_Jan
Quick question -- any online shops (or in SanFran) where I can pick up some DH 19 cm mij raw denim?

Thanks in advance

www.luisaviaroma.com

Be wary, though. You will have to pay roughly $60-100 in custom duties depending on where you are. I'm in Canada and I had to pay $100 in customs.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I'm hoping someone who has owned both can chime in on this - Flathead vs Pure Blue Japan for fast fades? I'm hoping to pick up a pair of jeans which fade novelty quick like.

My flathead f380 dont fade as fast as my samurai s0500xx

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Capita
Hey huge jean noob here, I have never paid more than $30 for jeans and I have never owned a pair that I would say I currently would enjoy wearing.

I am 19 and 5'10, 176lbs with a semi-lean/muscular build, I generally wear 33x30 jeans but the length is always a bit long. ******/quads/hamstrings are bigger than average and so a lot of slim jeans hug my hips too much and look a bit awkward.

Levis 511s look comical on me, 514s fit pretty well above the knee albeit a bit tight, but below the knee they feel loose and might even look a bit flared out.

What should the SF approved jean fit like? I think I might try 514's again and 501s and was thinking about Shrink to Fit.

If I wanted shrink to fit levis to fit like a size 32 or 33 waste would I get them in size 34 or 35?

Also are there any other jeans I should consider as a poor college kid?

Not too sure what the equivalent is, but I would try the LVC 1954 501s, or anything with a carrot shape for that matter.

Rolfi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm

if you plan on buying a pair of high end denim, i would seriously suggest you look for a cut you like first and fading propertys second. because if you end up with a pair you really don't like and you won't wear them then you won't get any fading either.

if you want dope fadezz then you should keep in mind that no matter what you will have to invest time and dedication to your jeans before they aquire the fading you're looking for. if you are a very active person or have a job that has you moving around alot (not a deskjob) then you can look forward to decent fades in ca 6 months of constant wear.

Capita

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Not too sure what the equivalent is, but I would try the LVC 1954 501s, or anything with a carrot shape for that matter.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I don't have the money for the lvc 1954s yet, but for my first pair of shrink to fits / raws I am going to go cheap and pick up some shrink to fit 501s from the local JC pennies or something. I'll definitely look into the lvcs when I have the money and process down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads