• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English shoes

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alfred Sargent is a solid choice. I tend to steer clear from Alden, except when I am getting casuals. Alden's are far and away my first choice for a casual shoe--particularly the LS and Leffot collaborations. However, to me their dress shoes just look off. To be completely honest, I actually prefer Allen Edmonds lasts to Aldens. I think that the 5 last is simply much sleeker, and more apt for oxfords. With that said, for longwings, NSTs, Chukkas, and a bonafide plethora of other casual shoes, one simply cannot surpass Alden in my opinion.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I would definitely buy suede shoes from the classic collection or a calfskin pair if I was in college. My hesitance about the calfskin shoes from the classic collection is that I think they're made of corrected grain. Not sure if that's true though.

I think the 87 is a great example of a traditional English last, maybe the best example. The 99 is what SF would call "sleeker." I posted a bunch of pics of an mto pair I ordered here. I think the plainness of the style reveals the shape of the last well.

Thanks for the info. Your OneShoe looks nice.
smile.gif

I'm too inexperienced to recognize corrected grain, but I do think my calfskin shoes looks a little cheap when looking close. I have no better calfskin shoes (such as C&J) to compare with though. Maybe they just need some patina, they are both brand new. Here's one of them.

My third pair of AS Classic Collection shoes is the Havant chukka boot in snuff suede, which looks more expensive than the calfskin shoes I think. This suede looks a bit rough compared to e.g. my C&J Westfield suede shoes, which are very delicate in comparison.

So, at this point, with three pairs, I have a rather good picture of the AS Classic Collection and I would recommend it as an entry level collection to quality shoes (I'm saying this to the OP rather than you, emptym
smile.gif
).

For my next pair of shoes I'll probably consider the AS Premier Collection. Its price seems to be between C&J and the AS Classic Collection, so I'm curious how nice these shoes are.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely buy suede shoes from the classic collection or a calfskin pair if I was in college. My hesitance about the calfskin shoes from the classic collection is that I think they're made of corrected grain. Not sure if that's true though.

Yes all the non-suede classic collection shoes are cg - better cg than some but cg.

The suede classic collection are a steal - the suede doesn't seem any different to that used on the premier line. If I was going non-suede I'd definitely pay the extra for premier.

Originally Posted by bellyhungry
merci beaucoup.

Helpfully Shipton & Heneage don't tend to change the model name so working out who the maker is isn't too difficult...

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
... However, to me their dress shoes just look off. To be completely honest, I actually prefer Allen Edmonds lasts to Aldens. I think that the 5 last is simply much sleeker, and more apt for oxfords. With that said, for longwings, NSTs, Chukkas, and a bonafide plethora of other casual shoes, one simply cannot surpass Alden in my opinion.
I love the Hampton last. The 5 may be sleeker but is less shapely imo. And it doesn't fit my feet nearly as well as Alden's Hampton.

Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Thanks for the info. Your OneShoe looks nice.
smile.gif

Thank you. They are certainly not universally loved on SF.
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Yes all the non-suede classic collection shoes are cg - better cg than some but cg.

The suede classic collection are a steal - the suede doesn't seem any different to that used on the premier line. If I was going non-suede I'd definitely pay the extra for premier.

Thanks for the definitive word.

CashmereLover

Reaction score

Kind of confirms my AS CC experience then.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
How would you guys compare the AS Premier Collection to benchmade C&J? Are they close?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys compare the AS Premier Collection to benchmade C&J? Are they close?

I own both and wouldn't say there's really anything in it. I like C&J but feel that they're slightly over-rated on this forum. Others hold differing views
smile.gif

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I own both and wouldn't say there's really anything in it. I like C&J but feel that they're slightly over-rated on this forum. Others hold differing views
smile.gif

OK, sounds like AS "PC" is really good value for money then at slightly above £200 (if I remember correctly from Pediwear).

emptym

Reaction score
smile.gif

I would agree with this, but I only own one pair of C&Js. I think a big part of their appeal here is the closed channel sole of the Handgrade line, that and the 348 last, which I find way too pointy.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with this, but I only own one pair of C&Js. I think a big part of their appeal here is the closed channel sole of the Handgrade line, that and the 348 last, which I find way too pointy.

I like the 348 last and its elongated silhouette, I just wish that it is round-toe rather than chiseled-toe.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
emptym;3284426 said:
I love the Hampton last. The 5 may be sleeker but is less shapely imo. And it doesn't fit my feet nearly as well as Alden's Hampton.QUOTE]

That is a fair compromise
smile.gif
. I may be a bit biased because out of all my shoes, my stupid Allen Edmonds have given me the best fit thus far
laugh.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be a bit biased because out of all my shoes, my stupid Allen Edmonds have given me the best fit thus far
laugh.gif

This is an issue with a lot of OTR English shoes for me. I don't like most AE models very much but they always fit great because AE produces most of their models in a very wide range of sizes and widths. You can find everything from 6AAA to 13EEE. Many English shoemakers only offer one or two widths in each model. And the standard width is usually comparable to about an E width in the US. So it's really hit or miss as to whether any particular pair of shoes will fit acceptably. There are some very nice shoes that just won't.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know people here are big on C&J --and I like them--but I really enjoy the things AS is doing at all levels with their shoes. I would tend to go with AS.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I like both Alfred Sargent and C&J and I think they are fairly comparable in quality.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I would like to add Trickers to the mix of excellent value English shoes. Their city lasts are actually rather elegant, although they're more known around here for the clunkier (but not inelegant) country lasts. Although prices have gone up rather dramatically in the past couple of years, you can still find decent prices for them if you look around (David at the Factory Store may help?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads