• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Mrs. Piob and I were debriefing tonight. I told her, 40 years of harder, faster, stronger is hard to overcome, but my golf instructor has it totally correct. Lighter flex than what my upper body might call for that leads to correct swing mechanics. Relaxed and easy = success. Trying to muscle it = failure. Maybe a few years from now I can combine both, but for now, relaxed and easy
smile.gif

Amen. For some reason, after playing golf on and off for the better part of 12 years, this finally clicked for me the past week. I'm not putting a death grip on the club and am just letting gravity, momentum and the club do the work; as a result, I'm hitting my driver straighter -- and way further (bombed a few 270+ yard drives the past few rounds...I'm only 5'7") -- than ever. I still don't trust myself as much with my irons though, since I feel that being too loosey-goosey on them will result in hitting it fat or thin, since I'm not trying hard enough to hit down on the ball. I figure I just need more time on the range with them to ingrain the idea that swinging easy with irons is OK. ****, I'm in golf withdrawal already. I've played 5 rounds in the past 4 days but am not playing tomorrow. I wish I was. This thread is awesome though, just for sharing experiences and tips.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Great day at the range and very productive. I figured out my pattern. Two-three good shots, I get my confidence up, then I try and rip it. This usually results in a thin shot, as I raise my head, trying to unleash like a hurricane. Won't get out until Friday but now I will step away and reset after a couple of good shots. I figure I won't fall into this pattern on the course, as you're not just standing there banging balls.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
88 today -- new personal best (beating out a few 89s from last year).

sweet, 89 is my lowest.... SO FAR!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Watching the Muirfield tournament. Tiger just used a six iron from the tee box for a 201 yard hole. Landed the ball within feet of the pin. Now, I know distance is not his specialty, but the guy that teed off before him used a five iron, and landed it within feet of the pin too. Looking at club/distance charts, those guys are incredible ball strikers.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. All of them are ridiculous strikers, but part of the reason for some of those distances is that I think they tweak their clubs to have lower lofts than what us regular Joes use. They are using 6 and 7 degree drivers to our 8 and 9s. etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
Yes. All of them are ridiculous strikers, but part of the reason for some of those distances is that I think they tweak their clubs to have lower lofts than what us regular Joes use. They are using 6 and 7 degree drivers to our 8 and 9s. etc.
If by tweak you mean deloft at impact, then yes, but I'm pretty sure they don't use strong lofted clubs.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
If by tweak you mean deloft at impact, then yes, but I'm pretty sure they don't use strong lofted clubs.

It also has a little bit to do with clubhead speed at impact which is significantly higher for a pro than for a good amateur.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the Muirfield tournament. Tiger just used a six iron from the tee box for a 201 yard hole. Landed the ball within feet of the pin. Now, I know distance is not his specialty, but the guy that teed off before him used a five iron, and landed it within feet of the pin too. Looking at club/distance charts, those guys are incredible ball strikers.

Pio - Just remember they usually swing at about 90% most times. For every club in the bag they have that extra 10% if they need it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It also has a little bit to do with clubhead speed at impact which is significantly higher for a pro than for a good amateur.
Sure, though I would bet that the efficiency of strike, the angle of the club on the ball etc is more different than the speed.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup that's what i meant.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

good golfers drive through the ball and let the club do the work. plebes try to pick the ball up off the ground.

mozart

Reaction score

You've got each wrong.

Most tour pro's iron sets are weaker throughout the bag.As example,most would use a ~48* PW,whereas most sets made for hacks would have a PW with loft of ~ 46*.Good players start at a preferred loft/distance for a LW and work backwards--leaving specific gaps.

Drivers are tweaked with the ball and shaft to get an optimum launch/carry/spin combination.Most would use a driver with between 9* and 10* of actual loft.A few would go as low as 8.5*.Few,if any, players on tour use anything lower.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good golfers drive through the ball and let the club do the work. plebes try to pick the ball up off the ground.

^What I've been doing lately, has REALLY helped with everything.

I've been striking through the ball with my driver which has helped to mitigate mis-hits, turning them into slight fades or draws when they do happen. It has really helped to improve accuracy as well. I've never hit my 3 iron better.

Now I just have to work on my short game.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
yup that's what i meant. good golfers drive through the ball and let the club do the work. plebes try to pick the ball up off the ground.
nod[1].gif
When I do that, I do not keep my head level (it goes up on the backswing and is clearly visible on the video he takes) and then I make inconsistent contact with the ball. He's really working on the "just swing the club and let the ball get in the way" type philosophy.
^ Like the shoes. What brand? Foot Joy? Nice stop at the range today. Dialing in the new 7 iron nicely. It's all about just swinging through the ball.
Lesson today. Review of swing then start work on putting.
smile.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, though I would bet that the efficiency of strike, the angle of the club on the ball etc is more different than the speed.

Of course all are important, but if we're strictly talking distance, a lot of the differentiation is that longer hitting professionals are able to generate enormous clubhead speed while at the same time delivering the club in the proper position at impact. For example, the average amateur has a clubhead speed in the low 80's, the average scratch player or professional probably gets into the lower 100's. Tiger Woods and his ilk deliver the clubhead to the ball at around 125mph. Instantly he's got a 40-50% or so advantage in force.

Remember that we're only talking about what generates distance here. The same clubhead impact at 90mph will obviously not hit as long a shot as if it were at 125mph. However, a more efficient (i.e. better) golf swing will also, typically, allow for an increase in clubhead speed.

When Nicklaus was just starting to play as a kid, his teacher taught him to hit the ball as hard as he could and worry about direction later.

THIS IS HORRIBLE ADVICE FOR ANY ADULT LEARNING TO PLAY THE GAME AND WILL DO NOTHING BUT SCREW YOU UP. However, if you're looking for the reason why pros generate more distance, it's simple physics of force. They have trained themselves to make a really hard swing at the ball, smoothly and efficiently. Paradoxically, the best way for most people to increase clubhead speed over time is to focus not on clubhead speed, but on a smooth and efficient swing that stays on a simple plane. If you eliminate elements of the swing that are inefficient, you actually increase the force, without increasing the effort and you do so on a plane that keeps it in control as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads