• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe trees stretching loafers?

rk9

Reaction score
I have relatively narrow feet so finding loafers that fit has been an issue. I have been wearing a pair of dress loafers from fratelli rossetti that fit great. I use shoe trees after wearing any pair of leather shoes and am concerned that the trees might stretch out the fit of the loafers and make them too loose to wear. Has anyone encountered this problem?

well-kept

Reaction score
Yes. You can try to find trees without springs. Certain older models were made with hinges or screw-set adjustment. These will fill the shoe without stretching it. If it's a width issue you can sand down cedar tress to your required size and shape.

brittain

Reaction score
Ive found the same thing happens to my loafers, which feel much looser after having trees in them. Im too lazy to find better shoe trees, so I just stick the front end in and leave the heel part sticking out over the heel of the shoe.

enarchay

Reaction score
Now I'm worried. I use spring shoe trees in my loafers as well, but I haven't noticed any stretching - yet. (My loafers are brand new.) Where can I find shoe trees that won't stretch, or is it unnecessary?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had this problem but my loafers are over $400.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

Cost is not a factor in my experience. My Edward Greens and Lattanzis are just as susceptible to deformation through the wrong tree as are my Alden shells.

Leather is flexible. That is why we use it for shoes.

Trees which are made expressly to accompany bespoke shoes are not spring-constructed, for this reason

brittain

Reaction score

so are the ones Im talking about, even more of a reason to not stretch them out.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
so are the ones Im talking about, even more of a reason to not stretch them out.

Then I digress. Is the loafer a thinner leather like a driving moccasin? I could see that being a problem. Is the back of the shoe tree only hitting the top of the shoe? It should go all the way to the bottom to enhance stability.

enarchay

Reaction score
Is it okay to use spring-loaded shoe trees for wing tips?

Which shoe tree models do you guys recommend for loafers?

brittain

Reaction score
Then I digress. Is the loafer a thinner leather like a driving moccasin? I could see that being a problem. Is the back of the shoe tree only hitting the top of the shoe? It should go all the way to the bottom to enhance stability.

Ive got two pairs; one is a zegna fatte a mano penny loafer, the other is a casual prada loafer with a rubber sole. I wouldnt call either of them thinner leather, especially the pradas. the problem isnt the positioning of the shoe tree, its just that all of my trees are the spring loaded kind, which just pushes too hard on the shoes. I would think that maybe my shoe trees are too large, except that I wear an 11 or 12 shoe, so they are pretty large as well. I just need to get some of the non-spring-loaded shoe trees.

rk9

Reaction score
Mine are a relatively thick leather. Think dress loafers, not driving mocs. I think getting the non-spring loaded trees might be the way to go. The suggestion of leaving the back end of the tree out might also work well. Either way, I am no longer putting the entire tree in this particular pair of shoes.

Made in California

Reaction score
Could someone please provide a link to wear one can get shoe trees without springs? Preferably with a high vamp and silver knob. If not, would you guys recommend sizing down a shoe thee with springs?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rk9
I have relatively narrow feet so finding loafers that fit has been an issue. I have been wearing a pair of dress loafers from fratelli rossetti that fit great. I use shoe trees after wearing any pair of leather shoes and am concerned that the trees might stretch out the fit of the loafers and make them too loose to wear. Has anyone encountered this problem?
If the shoe trees are sized properly this will not happen.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my spring shoe trees tended to stretch the shoes and misshape them at the heel part, so I "solved" it by just leaving the trees in for the night, then taking them out next morning and putting the shoes into the closet without trees. My sound harsh, but I haven't noticed any damage to the shoes.

danieljndube

Reaction score
I have a pair of $400-500 Italian loafers of somewhat softer than normal dress leather. My shoe trees stretched these to a disagreeable extent, making me cringe at the damage done to what had been very keen-fitting shoes. I will be trying these on theory that the spring will not be too strong in a horizontal direction: http://www.woodlore.com/mens-shoemate-pair/.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads