• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick fat loss w/o keto

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to lose 10 lbs. in order to row lightweight crew next fall. I'd like as of that weight to come from lost fat as possible. Theoretically, if I were to lose 10 lbs. of fat without any muscle, I'd be at about 8.5% bodyfat, which seems to be a fairly 'sustainable' bf%.

I know that a lot of posters here are big fans of keto diets for fat loss, but I'm a little concerned about the fatigue associated with keto diets. I really can't afford to miss or even just half-ass two weeks of solid workouts due to being too fatigued from dieting.

Is there safe any way to rapidly cut bodyfat that wouldn't keep me from training intensely? Perhaps just eating ridiculously cleanly (oatmeal, chicken, goat meat, almond butter, whole wheat pasta/bread, tea, milk, fill in the blank) and upping the volume of my erg workouts?

Thanks as always,
wmmk

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tren. IBK*

* in before kunk

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't big (fat) enough to healthily sustain a keto diet. And by next fall it won't really matter, thats plenty of time to drop some baby fat.

I've never asked, but how long have you actually been rowing/erging? Cause newbie gains (and weight loss) can continue sporadically for a good while.

When I've needed to drop weight I found it most effective to count calories (for discipline purposes) and really make sure protein intake stays plenty high, thats not to say cut out all carbs, but make them high fiber or 'good' carbs or whatever.

So basically eat clean w/ high protein, keep erging/rowing as main workout, but mix up cardio too and maybe drop into caloric deficit more than ordinary if need be.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tren, from what I gather, is a steroid? I'm not willing to cheat. Period.
(Sorry if you're kidding. I don't know enough about these things to be sure, either way).

Anyway, I've only been rowing since mid-February, and then I haven't really been able to work out (due to finals, term papers, etc.) since Midwest Championships, which were the first week of May. I pulled the 7:04 2k the first week of March, then the 6:58 a week and a half later. We didn't have any erg tests after that. Now that school's over, I'm working out, so I'm going to try to hit 6:50 in the next week or two. I'm aiming for 6:45 @ 160 lbs. by the end of the summer.

Thanks for the advice on newbie gains, counting calories, etc.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious answer time: basically what rjmorano said re: diet, but you might look into going Paleo. No grains or dairy - all your carbs come from vegetables (and if you hold off on sweet potatoes, squash, etc., it's a relatively low carb diet), eat plenty of meat and nuts to maintain energy levels, etc..
I don't buy into the 'eat what cavemen did' thing and the myriad arguments that follow about what cavemen actually ate - but from what I can tell, eating paleo tends to put you in a high-protein calorie restriction with simple to follow guidelines (no weighing or measuring, etc.) and eliminates whatever drawbacks there might be to processed food.

Alternately, go 70sbig and row with the heavyweights.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you've got 12-16 weeks to do this?

mgoose

Reaction score

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
It sounds like you've got 12-16 weeks to do this?

Given this time table, do you really need quick fat loss? Less then a lbs a week seems pretty doable by conventional means. Granted you don't have a lot to lose, so that might make it harder.

Is this something you actually have to weigh in for? If it is, just cut as much of it in fat as you can for the 16 weeks and drop the rest using typical weigh in techniques (e.g. cut water weight).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keto won't impair your progress much for training, only for racing. I don't think it's necessary for losing weight, but the water weight losses help a lot for weigh-ins.

I wouldn't increase the volume of your erg workouts especially while trying to lose weight. You'll just fatigue a lot faster and probably won't be recovered enough to make any progress and you'll probably never lose weight (it's complicated but basically bodily functions become suppressed to account for the energy deficit instead of releasing extra energy from body tissues).

Train to to get better at the erg, but don't try to alter training to lose weight because you'll end up in worse shape and not a pound lighter.

Whole wheat/eat clean/whatever doesn't matter. The only time my diet got in the way of training on the erg was when I ate too much before rowing or when I ate something like sausage and had bad heartburn.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgoose
EC Stack http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm
Hard to get for us Yankees, thanks to, now VPOTUS, Biden. You can get it as Bronkaid from Walgreens, but you have to give your Driver's License and are limited to a certain amount in a specified time period. Plus, Bronkaid contains guggulsterones and that's bad news bears. Some online stores in Canada will ship to the US, but there's always the worry of dealing with Customs and having it seized. One could replace the Ephedrine HCL for Yohimbine HCL (not yohimbe the extract) at 0.2mg/kg BW, for similar results.

SoloRouleur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Hard to get for us Yankees, thanks to, now VPOTUS, Biden. You can get it as Bronkaid from Walgreens, but you have to give your Driver's License and are limited to a certain amount in a specified time period. Plus, Bronkaid contains guggulsterones and that's bad news bears.

Some online stores in Canada will ship to the US, but there's always the worry of dealing with Customs and having it seized.

One could replace the Ephedrine HCL for Yohimbine HCL (not yohimbe the extract) at 0.2mg/kg BW, for similar results.

I wouldn't bother with an EC stack for weight loss. If anything, it could be used as an appetite suppressant and an upper, but i don't think that is what you are looking for.

There are many routes you can go to do this.

You can...

A) Maintain a 500cal deficit per day and lose weight the slow way
B) Do A CKD
C) Do A week of PSMF, take 3 weeks off, Do another week of PSMF, 3 weeks off, etc...

I would choose option C as the best, as you can just take carbs to fuel your workouts when you need them so your rowing will not suffer...

Just my opinion, though. I could be wrong...

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend EC for the cut. It'll jack his heart rate through the roof and wind him quicker.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have enough time to just eat at a calorie defficient diet and lose weight slowly. It's not the first time I disagree with why, but I do think eating "clean" (or whatever else you want to call it) will help you to lean out, but this is only based off my personal experience.

Once when I was rowing lwt I had to drop 8 lbs in a week to make weight. I added 20 min pieces on the erg (slow, like 2:05 split), cut my diet way down and ended up weighing in at 157 after losing the water weight. It was miserable and my performance suffered a lot.

Also... goat meat?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Also... goat meat?

Have you seen his jewfro?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads