• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had $250 to spend on a watch...

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
an iphone.
cool.gif

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got one of these locally for $100. Pretty cool watch for the money. Swiss Made. 26 Jewels. Clear back. Not my pic and it doesnt show it off to well.
Front.jpg

suzuka

Reaction score
buy a panerai homage watch, it'll cost about $100 and it's customized to your style

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I would go without a watch.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
What would you buy if $250 was your budget...and you wanted the watch to look like it was worth more than you paid?

Seiko? Hamilton?

Would go watchless

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
...I would go without a watch.

Originally Posted by dmash1080
Would go watchless

Really? You can't see merit in a watch unless its worth big bux? Most watch enthusiasts have a beater or three within this price range, there are even watch enthusiasts who own *gasp* Casio G-shocks because they appreciate the durability and it is suited to part of their lifestyle. It's pure elitism to suggest that any watch below a certain pricepoint isn't worth buying.

Henryyy

Reaction score
Vintage Longines for ~$200 off ebay.

Beautiful pieces.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Really? You can't see merit in a watch unless its worth big bux? Most watch enthusiasts have a beater or three within this price range, there are even watch enthusiasts who own *gasp* Casio G-shocks because they appreciate the durability and it is suited to part of their lifestyle. It's pure elitism to suggest that any watch below a certain pricepoint isn't worth buying.
Lol, get outta here. A watch 'enthusiast's' 'beater' is usually something like an Omega Seamaster. There's nothing beautiful nor special about watches in this price range with their horrible movements and horrible attention to detail. I agree with you, a G-Shock is fantastic for its durability and features......but I would never wear it with anything other than gym shorts. As would most watch 'enthusiasts' you speak of. and OP also stated '$250 for a watch that looks like more than you paid for it'. Somebody who is familiar with watches can tell fairly easy if you're wearing a nice wrist piece or not.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko and Citizen do very well within that price range, Seiko use their own movements in the 5 series and the fit and finish is surprisingly good for a watch that's so cheap. Citizen Eco-Drive's are likened to Casio G-Shocks but also represent the nice options you have within the $250 price range.

And you're mistaken if you think all watch enthusiasts wear omega seamasters or the like as beaters - as you'd know if you browse forums like TimeZone - , popular models like the Seiko Monster and Samurai or certain Citizen Eco-drives can be seen sported by people of ranging wealth/dedication to watches. Moreover even when these watches aren't worn, they are not shunned but rather appreciated as testaments to the potential still available in cheap watches, as well as in allowing new watch enthusiasts to adopt the hobby without breaking the bank.

Also don't forget that it is the same brand Seiko who makes the spring drive series, which is certainly not within the $250 range and does well to compete with higher end watches.

corey.m

Reaction score
I'd keep saving.

But if pressed, a Seiko SKX031 with Yobokies handset and a mesh bracelet.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko and Citizen do very well within that price range, Seiko use their own movements in the 5 series and the fit and finish is surprisingly good for a watch that's so cheap. Citizen Eco-Drive's are likened to Casio G-Shocks but also represent the nice options you have within the $250 price range.

And you're mistaken if you think all watch enthusiasts wear omega seamasters or the like as beaters - as you'd know if you browse forums like TimeZone - , popular models like the Seiko Monster and Samurai or certain Citizen Eco-drives can be seen sported by people of ranging wealth/dedication to watches. Moreover even when these watches aren't worn, they are not shunned but rather appreciated as testaments to the potential still available in cheap watches, as well as in allowing new watch enthusiasts to adopt the hobby without breaking the bank.

Also don't forget that it is the same brand Seiko who makes the spring drive series, which is certainly not within the $250 range and does well to compete with higher end watches.

Haha, because I haven't bought and sold watches on WatchUSeek or anything. I'm not going to argue this point with you. You want to wear a cheap watch?
worship.gif

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on xenox's point, i was at an antique watch dealer's the other day all comparing our rolex 5513s and SM300s- turns out pretty much all of us have a seiko or citizen beater to wear for actual diving or holiday use. after a while you come to appreciate these watches as pretty remarkable in themselves. i got a bill yao modded seiko and it quite often keeps my rolex/omegas off my wrist.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to get in this debacle; however, Dmash is ******* annoying and needs to keep his comments to himself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads