• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

an outfit for university graduation dinner.

Benjamin Choi

Reaction score
Hi, every one, this is my first time to join this forum.
I encounter obstacle when loooking an outfit for graduation dinner.
I really want to keep the vast jacket but my friends advise me not to do so. (they said that it looks too mature and looks like a bartender.
And some of my friends said that the color of the shirt is horrible (the color, green)
and I really want to wear some accessaries like tie and bow-tie

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

30673_10150180624425237_871925236_12541284_3800989_n.jpg

30673_10150180624355237_871925236_12541279_2660230_n.jpg

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the suggestion to wear a tie and a bow-tie is the way to go.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Hey Benjamin! Welcome to the forum.

You have to wear what you like, and I think if I were you I'd definitely go for the vest. I also second having a look at a tie or a bow-tie, whatever you prefer. I'm not crazy about the green shirt, but it's just not my colour, so I'm biased. A similar coloured shirt like that is probably better than the dark one though, because it just doesn't seem to fit for the event.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask any more questions you have!

Benjamin Choi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Hey Benjamin! Welcome to the forum.

You have to wear what you like, and I think if I were you I'd definitely go for the vest. I also second having a look at a tie or a bow-tie, whatever you prefer. I'm not crazy about the green shirt, but it's just not my colour, so I'm biased. A similar coloured shirt like that is probably better than the dark one though, because it just doesn't seem to fit for the event.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask any more questions you have!

Thanks for your reply, Mr. Sartorial. A lot of my friends complain the green one. But I don't have much choices, since I just have plenty of money for buying outfit.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
If you're cash strapped you might be able to find some really good values at a vintage store or something like that. Just a thought. The more I look at them, the darker tones of the second shirt seem to fit your complexion better, although I still don't think it's perfect for the event. That said, I suppose if you don't have the spare money for a tie or a different colour of shirt, then you might be best off with the darker one so you're not washed out in pictures because I assume there will be many at the event. If you go with the darker shirt though, and it's up to you whether you should wear it with the vest or not. Without a tie, the vest will add formality, which is a nice touch, and it will allow you to cinch in your shirt a bit because it looks like it has a little too much extra fabric for you.

Hope that helps!

Benjamin Choi

Reaction score
If you're cash strapped you might be able to find some really good values at a vintage store or something like that. Just a thought. The more I look at them, the darker tones of the second shirt seem to fit your complexion better, although I still don't think it's perfect for the event. That said, I suppose if you don't have the spare money for a tie or a different colour of shirt, then you might be best off with the darker one so you're not washed out in pictures because I assume there will be many at the event. If you go with the darker shirt though, and it's up to you whether you should wear it with the vest or not. Without a tie, the vest will add formality, which is a nice touch, and it will allow you to cinch in your shirt a bit because it looks like it has a little too much extra fabric for you.

Hope that helps!

Thx for your help again. Mr Sartorial. I really like the vast jacket but a lot of friend of mine said that the vast jacket makes me look like a waiter or a bartender, which is not a good thing in the graduation dinner. My classmates will wear a formal suit but I don't like wearing formal suit.
I am thinking whether I have other better choices or not because the black-white striped shirt seems to be a bit informal for the graduation dinner. I may think about more choices later.

nbouscal

Reaction score
I'll be honest I don't like that green with your skin tone at all. With regards to the vest, if you like the vest and feel confident wearing it, then by all means wear it. I'd do some bargain hunting to find some additional options though, if your peers will be in suits neither of the two options you posted seem exactly great. Why don't you like wearing suits?

Benjamin Choi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbouscal
I'll be honest I don't like that green with your skin tone at all. With regards to the vest, if you like the vest and feel confident wearing it, then by all means wear it. I'd do some bargain hunting to find some additional options though, if your peers will be in suits neither of the two options you posted seem exactly great. Why don't you like wearing suits?

because i think that the suits couldn't express myself fully. I would like to wear something which can express my character.
i want to show people that I am energenic but in a formal way.

nbouscal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
because i think that the suits couldn't express myself fully. I would like to wear something which can express my character. i want to show people that I am energenic but in a formal way.
Suits can be one of the most expressive forms of clothing. I had a banquet recently for my accounting fraternity, shirt and tie were acceptable but suits were preferred. I chose to wear a well-fitting three piece pinstripe with a burgundy shirt; almost everyone else there was wearing ill-fitting black department store suits with white or light blue shirts. I stood out, and in a very good way. If you don't think suits can be expressive you just don't know enough about suits ;-)

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I agree that suits can express your character as much or more than anything else. I don't mean to plug, but check out my blog and click on one of the tags for suits (link below in my signature), or any of the other mens fashion blogs out there. I used to wear suits every single day and now I wear them even when I'm not required to. Nothing sharper. For the record, I don't think the vest will make you look like a waiter and I've worked in menswear for long enough to know. You can print this off and give it to your friends so they'll have more sense in the future.

Benjamin, overdressed is almost always better than underdressed. If you have a suit, definitely rock it.

Hope that helps!

Benjamin Choi

Reaction score
I agree that suits can express your character as much or more than anything else. I don't mean to plug, but check out my blog and click on one of the tags for suits (link below in my signature), or any of the other mens fashion blogs out there. I used to wear suits every single day and now I wear them even when I'm not required to. Nothing sharper. For the record, I don't think the vest will make you look like a waiter and I've worked in menswear for long enough to know. You can print this off and give it to your friends so they'll have more sense in the future.

Benjamin, overdressed is almost always better than underdressed. If you have a suit, definitely rock it.

Hope that helps!

thx for your help again, i am going to buy some outfit this Saturday. Actually I don't have a suit, I may need one in the future but I don't know what kind of suits suit me. Perhaps this time i don't want to spend too much money on them cause I haven't had a job yet.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
thx for your help again, i am going to buy some outfit this Saturday. Actually I don't have a suit, I may need one in the future but I don't know what kind of suits suit me. Perhaps this time i don't want to spend too much money on them cause I haven't had a job yet.

Well, the sooner you get a jump on it the better. You look like a fairly average build so most suits should fit you, depending on how tall you are. The best thing for you to do is to try lots and lots of different suits and see what works and what doesn't. You're going to probably need one for your job interviews coming up and the more time you have to look, the better a decision you'll make. There's another thread I commented in about Starter suits called "Club Monaco Suiting" (search if you don't see it). This will give you some good ideas for where to look for your first suit. If you have any other questions, you can always PM me or send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll get right back to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics