• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UPDATE 6/11: Senor Member in Ann Arbor = Help.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ashley's downtown is a bit of a college bar but has one of the best selections of single malts I've ever seen.

This makes no sense to me.. How does a college bar have a good single malt selection? The drunken frat guys order a $40 glass without knowing it? Thats a very good business plan.

Anyway, a buddy of mine just called to tell me he took a job at a hospital in Ann Arbor, hope he likes it.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some suggestions from my Ann Arbor experience a few years back: 1) I can't remember when exactly, but the North campus main building has Jazz players jamming one night each week and is quite enjoyable to relax there then. (not sure whether they have this in the summer either) 2) check out the university website for performances/events (looks quiet in the summer though) http://uuis.umich.edu/events/calendar.cfm 3) go fishing 4) check out the undergrad hotties on summer courses 5) drive to my favorite Japanese restaurant for sushi/sashimi/udon/chirashi. Name of the place is Ajishin. Its in Novi. http://www.nicetaste.com/2006/02/ajishin.html 6) get some "hippie hash" from fleetwood diner. Great for after drinks, late night/early morning dining. http://www.yelp.com/biz/fleetwood-diner-ann-arbor 7)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
WTF happened, Beagle?

- B

P.S.: Is it still winter there?

i guess so.

a lot of Germans around there. you can attend the yearly Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth(never did).
they also have a big outlet for stocking up RL, Gant & Hilfiger polos...

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
top of the hill or top of the park or whatever will start shortly

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
This makes no sense to me.. How does a college bar have a good single malt selection? The drunken frat guys order a $40 glass without knowing it? Thats a very good business plan. Anyway, a buddy of mine just called to tell me he took a job at a hospital in Ann Arbor, hope he likes it.
I know. It's weird. I walked in, got carded (you're kidding me, right?) at the door, then sat down and had a $35 Royal Lochnagar. http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/lLsG4...1tKAJnbOGTCRXw The top and second rows of the bar from the left side of the sign over almost all the way or Scotch -- its a stupid layout, but they have 30+ malts. ~ H

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I know. It's weird. I walked in, got carded (you're kidding me, right?) at the door, then sat down and had a $35 Royal Lochnagar.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/lLsG4...1tKAJnbOGTCRXw

The top and second rows of the bar from the left side of the sign over almost all the way or Scotch -- its a stupid layout, but they have 30+ malts.

~ H

Thats not as weird as you would think. Welcome to Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is what you get when you take a liberal college town, rich out of town students, tech/medical money, and blend in a healty dose of hipsters, neo-hippies, old 60's radicals, preppies and blue blood conservatives. You get college bars with $30 scotch, not because of the students, but because of the locals who look like washed out dried up hippies, but really are worth millions because they invented a magical granola that cures cancer in babies with first names that start with A in sub sahara africa.

PS I hate it here. Thats why i refuse to move back.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Thats not as weird as you would think. Welcome to Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is what you get when you take a liberal college town, rich out of town students, tech/medical money, and blend in a healty dose of hipsters, neo-hippies, old 60's radicals, preppies and blue blood conservatives. You get college bars with $30 scotch, not because of the students, but because of the locals who look like washed out dried up hippies, but really are worth millions because they invented a magical granola that cures cancer in babies with first names that start with A in sub sahara africa.

PS I hate it here. Thats why i refuse to move back.

So it's like a crappier San Francisco?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
So it's like a crappier San Francisco?

Berkley of the midwest.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't make it back to Ann Arbor too much anymore but it's pretty underrated in my book and gets a bad rap for being in Michigan with out hard hit economy over the past decade, but it really is a great town. I never tried to order a Scotch at the aforementioned Ashley's but they do have a pretty good beer selection. If live music is your bag, The Blind Pig on 1st street generally has some pretty good shows for such a dive. I will probably be out the June 25th for The Meat Puppets. The Michigan Theatre right downtown has some slightly bigger acts than what you will find at The Blind Pig and is usually about double or triple the price, but it's got good sound, is pretty clean, and gets a slightly more upscale crowd if you care about that sort of thing. Detroit get's some good shows too and the crowds are usually a lot smaller than what you would get in Chicago. Check out the schedule of the Majestic Theatre complex: http://www.MajesticDetroit.com. There are also a couple places further out in the burbs with some good shows as well: Royal Oak Music Theatre and The Crofoot (which is probably the cleanest venue I have ever been to... better than Schuba's in Chicago). If you like running or cycling, there are some good parks in the area with a good selection of trails, of course, the area is pretty flat compared to anything you would get out west, but it's pleasant enough and thanks to our unhealthy Detroit lifestyles, the trails are not usually that crowded! July 21 - 24 is the Ann Arbor Art Fair this year which always draws a pretty good crowd and a lot of vendors and artists from all over the country. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's one of the largest in the country now. And whoever mentioned Zingerman's is right! Best over-priced sandwiches you'll find in the Midwest! My other advice: Unless you are dead set on going to a football game, stay out of town on Saturdays during home games (and especially away from the homes and frat houses the closer you get to the stadium. Maybe I'm just too old now, but I don't ever remember partying like those idiots do when I was a student. Of course, alums and parents probably walked past us when we were out partying 10 years ago thinking the same things. The worse times to be out there are right before or after the game of course. If you want to go into town to eat while the game is going on, I would imagine the restaurants aren't too crowded. But even the nice ones are busy after the games. Of course, if you are living close to the stadium, you can always sell some parking on your lawn for some quick money in the fall.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Isn't Car and Driver based out of Ann Arbor? Could be cool to see them road testing nice cars.

They are and they used to be based in my dad's office park. It was always really cool to drive through their lot and see what kind of cool ass cars they had sitting there. I dont know where their new office is, but it cant be hard to find out.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I live about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor, but it is a pretty cool town. I used to have season tickets for Michigan football, but mainly hung out close to the stadium. If you're not a Michigan fan, I suppose the town will not be as fun.
But Michigan Planner is right about charging for parking if you're close to the stadium. A friend's cousin lives close to the stadium and charges cars to park on his lawn. He uses the money he makes every year to go to the Caribbean.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Senor member should have moved closer to the southern US border, no?

I'll bet their clothing discounters suck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads