• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my list that I would like to get in the next 4-5 years, excluding any shirts, shorts, pants, etc. I'm only 20. 1.\tSalt Sunglasses 2.\tNice Brown Bead Bracelet From Italy This Summer (Conversation Starter) 3.\tHandmade Straight Razor Shave Kit (REALLY Want To Learn How To Do This) 4.\tBlack Buttero Boots 6.\t#8 Shell Alden Longwings 7.\tAlden Black Captoes 8.\tT-Fal Cookware Set 9.\tQuality Knife Set 10.\tQuality Cigar Cutter & Lighter 11.\tNice Humidor 12.\tPanerai 00111 (Hoping Parents Get Me This For Graduation
laugh.gif
)

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Here's my list that I would like to get in the next 4-5 years, excluding any shirts, shorts, pants, etc. I'm only 20.

1.\tSalt Sunglasses
2.\tNice Brown Bead Bracelet From Italy This Summer (Conversation Starter)
3.\tHandmade Straight Razor Shave Kit (REALLY Want To Learn How To Do This)
4.\tBlack Buttero Boots
6.\t#8 Shell Alden Longwings
7.\tAlden Black Captoes
8.\tT-Fal Cookware Set
9.\tQuality Knife Set
10.\tQuality Cigar Cutter & Lighter
11.\tNice Humidor
12.\tPanerai 00111 (Hoping Parents Get Me This For Graduation
laugh.gif
)

Jesus Goddamn Christ

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Jesus Goddamn Christ
I work a lot and like to spend my money on nice things...... I said over the next 4-5 years, I didn't feel it was THAT extravagant? My only expenses I have to pay for are rent, cell phone, food, clothes, gas and any leisure activites. I don't have a car payment and I lucked out as my parents pay for my insurance, but that's all.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And yet you want a T-Fal cookware set?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought T-Fal was decently nice, I guess that is dumb on my part that I didn't consider you CAN get it at Wal-Mart. Haha, sorry, sorry.

So what are really good brands, when it comes to pots and pans? I looked around a little today and it seems 'Baumalu' and 'Le Creuset' (actually mentioned above) were two brands that got excellent reviews. I'm actually wanting to pick up this purchase relatively soon, like I said, I'm tired of having stuff stick and not conduct heat very well.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
how old are you, LabelKing?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've spent all of my twenties traveling back and forth, for life, not for pleasure, and one of my Samsonites eventually bit the dust, zipper broke. That thing probably pulled about 15 or 20 cross-Pacific hauls. So yes, good luggage. I'm sure most have a decent bag for carry-on use, here on styleforum. I had a prada messenger in waxed canvas and leather that looked like a cleaner-lined Filson bag, that did me quite well for traveling.

A nice watch, almost necessary. People are gonna see what you're wearing on your wrist - and if you see a young person wearing a nice watch, frankly, you are bound to take them a little more seriously than the guy with the shiny Fossil or Armani watch.

I know this was supposed to be non-clothing stuff, but a lot of dudes have added clothing, so I will add my two cents too:
-you need at least one suit, black at the very least, no matter your occupation. You'll probably go to a couple funerals in your twenties and you don't want to look like a dag. Add in a nice slim black tie.
-good black shoes.
-a black overcoat if you can afford it.
-a really cool black leather jacket
-a good peacoat
-a nice pair of white sneakers that you feel most comfortable in. I have like 10 pairs, actually.
-a perfect pair of jeans that exude comfort and your own personal style. 5 pairs if you're lucky and can amass that many pairs of perfect jeans. I have like 20 pairs of jeans but since the raw indigo ones are always in a state of flux, color and fit-wise, I only ever have 1 or 2 pairs of 'perfect' jeans.
-a decent bag for business use

I agree that a camera is essential. You're not getting any younger, so taking photos while you still look halfway decent and cool is a good thing. Even the miniscule point and shoot digital cameras take good enough pictures for this purpose, so you're not out much there. I have always had those kinds of cameras and then picked up a Nikon DSLR kit for $300 when ebay was having the 35% cashback. I don't mind having it, of course, but do wish I had a cheap small point and shoot I could pocket for going out, so i might look at getting one.

One should spend the money and buy good SPF lotion. Daily sunblock will help you look better as you age. I use Kiehl's SPF 25, I think it is, and it functions as a moisturizer well enough, too. It's not particularly expensive IMO but I know some may not spend as much on this kind of stuff.

I think everything is disposable really, including clothes, and should be treated as such, but this stuff is all good for living your 20's out comfortably and memorably.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought T-Fal was decently nice, I guess that is dumb on my part that I didn't consider you CAN get it at Wal-Mart. Haha, sorry, sorry.

So what are really good brands, when it comes to pots and pans? I looked around a little today and it seems 'Baumalu' and 'Le Creuset' (actually mentioned above) were two brands that got excellent reviews. I'm actually wanting to pick up this purchase relatively soon, like I said, I'm tired of having stuff stick and not conduct heat very well.

Honestly, search around here a little bit.

Don't buy a set...you will find that you don't use half the pans in it. You may also find that you want varied quality...you may want a very basic stock pot (if you find all you use a stock pot for is boiling water) but a really nice saute pan and a decent pair of sauce pans.

All-Clad and Calphalon make some nice stuff (of course they have many different lines...)

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Honestly, search around here a little bit.

Don't buy a set...you will find that you don't use half the pans in it. You may also find that you want varied quality...you may want a very basic stock pot (if you find all you use a stock pot for is boiling water) but a really nice saute pan and a decent pair of sauce pans.

All-Clad and Calphalon make some nice stuff (of course they have many different lines...)

Thanks a lot for that! and again, excuse my stupidity
facepalm.gif

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
about the camera... if everyone has one can't you just ask them to send you the pics or download them from the net when they're posted. this is what i usually do unless they're using film and are really into photography. i would only buy one for waywt actually or take pictures of the stuff i buy.
lol8[1].gif

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work a lot and like to spend my money on nice things...... I said over the next 4-5 years, I didn't feel it was THAT extravagant? My only expenses I have to pay for are rent, cell phone, food, clothes, gas and any leisure activites. I don't have a car payment and I lucked out as my parents pay for my insurance, but that's all.

I don't think that your list is that extravagant. I think that it reads like a "best of the internet" list. And now you know that T-Fal cookware is frowned upon, so you're going to read about pots and pans on the internet and get something "SF Approved" (BTW, you should go with Lodge cast iron).

Your list is basically the internet clothing geek version of the "how to be cool" list. Did you even read the title of the thread?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I don't think that your list is that extravagant. I think that it reads like a "best of the internet" list. And now you know that T-Fal cookware is frowned upon, so you're going to read about pots and pans on the internet and get something "SF Approved" (BTW, you should go with Lodge cast iron).

Your list is basically the internet clothing geek version of the "how to be cool" list. Did you even read the title of the thread?

+1. Advising that a straight razor kit is an "essential item" for a 20 year old, when you admittedly don't even know how to use a straight razor? WTF?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics