• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official brogue boot style thread.

baba booey

Reaction score
These are from Oliver Spencer, do they make their own shoes?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chowchow
trickers are no way close to narrow feet. i normally wear a UK9 and i m more than happy with a UK9 in my trickers

yes. Trickers look large but do not run large (or small). I find they fit very true to size and are quite comfortable from day 1 despite them looking clunky and stiff.

Morgan

Reaction score
+1 for Trickers Stow. I've got them in "espresso" (very dark brown) and they're durable, versatile boots. If you're not in a hurry, you can stalk the Retricker ebay store. They occasionally get runs of Stows and other boots, sometimes even in cordovan, at reasonable prices.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^whats your impression of width with the Stows? Im thinking of getting the espresso myself, but just hope that they arent too narrow for my US EE feet...

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^whats your impression of width with the Stows? Im thinking of getting the espresso myself, but just hope that they arent too narrow for my US EE feet...

http://www.stylecompare.co.uk/footwear/brogue/boots

They have some nice boots on there, I just can't decide
censored.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Morgan

Reaction score
I'm a US 9D, and I wear the UK8.5 in standard width (I forget what letter they use). They are pretty wide shoes, especially across the ball of the foot. I always wear thick woolen socks with them. They are definitely the widest "standard" footwear I own, but I would be reluctant to guess how they would fit an unusual size like EE.

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
I'm a US 9D, and I wear the UK8.5 in standard width (I forget what letter they use). They are pretty wide shoes, especially across the ball of the foot. I always wear thick woolen socks with them. They are definitely the widest "standard" footwear I own, but I would be reluctant to guess how they would fit an unusual size like EE.

whats ee and D and whatever?
SOMEONE HELP ME FIND SOME BOOTS
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Schpacko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerazzurrri
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

it indicates the width. usually its

C = narrow
D = medium, normal
E = wide
EE = extra wide

that was the US system. In England its

E = narrow
F = medium
G = wide

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Christ, you are annoying. No wonder people were bad mouthing this thread. Did you start this as a general appreciation for the subject at hand, or only as a me, me, me, you must help me find boots for me.

Why don't you just let the thread takes its course and over time you can see what there is in the world of brogue boots? Is that hard?

Morgan

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

There are dozens of posts in this thread recommending various models of brogue boots. In my post above, I recommend Trickers Stow and suggest where to buy them at a discount. In a follow-up post, I discuss sizing issues which will help you further refine the search for you and others who share your interest in brogue boots. What additional information, exactly, do you seek?

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
There are dozens of posts in this thread recommending various models of brogue boots. In my post above, I recommend Trickers Stow and suggest where to buy them at a discount. In a follow-up post, I discuss sizing issues which will help you further refine the search for you and others who share your interest in brogue boots. What additional information, exactly, do you seek?

Well I mean I just dont wan't to take the plunge on a pair of boots and then find other ones i like more. Ideally I'd want a pair of PS boots first (ricards,cordos,athurs) and then something similar in style. I also want to spend the least money possible but not by sacrificing build quality
laugh.gif

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I mean I just dont wan't to take the plunge on a pair of boots and then find other ones i like more. Ideally I'd want a pair of PS boots first (ricards,cordos,athurs) and then something similar in style. I also want to spend the least money possible but not by sacrificing build quality
laugh.gif

So you don't want to buy a pair of boots for fear of finding another pair you like?
plain.gif

Just take the plunge and grab the pair you like the best. My vote goes to Trickers if you can afford it. If not try Loake or Grenson, Alden is nice too (again if you can afford it).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Just take the plunge and grab the pair you like the best.

this. different brands have different aesthetics, so depends what you want. Paul Smith will be more sleek and streamlined since they are single sole and have more shaped lasts. Trickers are substantial and bulky looking, good if you want that heavy boot look. Alden are sort of a middle ground, a more sleek last than Trickers but look bulky compared to Paul Smith. I have pairs by all 3 and I dont think I could say one was better than another, just different, and all essential.
wink.gif

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
this. different brands have different aesthetics, so depends what you want. Paul Smith will be more sleek and streamlined since they are single sole and have more shaped lasts. Trickers are substantial and bulky looking, good if you want that heavy boot look. Alden are sort of a middle ground, a more sleek last than Trickers but look bulky compared to Paul Smith. I have pairs by all 3 and I dont think I could say one was better than another, just different, and all essential.
wink.gif

Yea I actually don't want something bulky. I don't want it to look like dr martens because they are pretty big and I'm not a rockabilly dude anyway
laugh.gif
bounce2.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have attempted to save this thread. I have also timed out the OP for posting idiotic macro pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads