• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gained weight, going to the doctor, any special tests to request?

tracerit

Reaction score
Quick history here, from 18-24 I've been 150-155lbs then all of a sudden these last six months (I'm 25 now), I"ve gained 15lbs. My eating habits during these last six months were the same as when for a whole year when i was 23, i ate fast food every day (literally). Some say it's my metabolism slowing down but it's kind of hard to realize within a few years it could've slowed down this quick.

I've been feeling groggy, lazy, lethargic, all those bad things since. It wasn't until I realized i had to go to party and my party pants didn't fit. how sad
frown.gif

Well I'm looking to get back into shape and since I haven't been to the doctors for a physical in 1.5 years I just wanted to know if there were any tests that I can get to help track my progress the next few months as I eat healthier and exercise more. It'd be nice to have some numbers aside from weight loss to backup my efforts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HIV test can never hurt...unless it comes back positive...

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
HIV test can never hurt...unless it comes back positive...

I lol'd.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
diabeetus.jpg

tracerit

Reaction score
lol, yeah HIV is one of those tests i'm going to request. never know what you can pick up from public toilets :/

nope, not married, just working the nightshift and bumming it.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a textbook case of hypothyroidism. Have your doctor run a full blood test - it should pick it up.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tracerit
lol, yeah HIV is one of those tests i'm going to request. never know what you can pick up from public toilets :/

nope, not married, just working the nightshift and bumming it.

so you don't get laid??

imschatz

Reaction score
The fingers in the bum can be sort of exciting .. if you're into that sort of thing.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Sounds like a textbook case of hypothyroidism. Have your doctor run a full blood test - it should pick it up.

Eating ****** fast food constantly causing someone to gain weight is not hypothyroidism. People slow down as they get older since they stop growing and eating like crap eventually wears on your body. Why would anyone go to the doctor when their diet is all fast food admittedly for weight gain is beyond me.

tracerit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
Eating ****** fast food constantly causing someone to gain weight is not hypothyroidism. People slow down as they get older since they stop growing and eating like crap eventually wears on your body. Why would anyone go to the doctor when their diet is all fast food admittedly for weight gain is beyond me.

if you actually read my original post, i'm not going because i gained weight. i'm going to get some lab tests done to track my progress. i'm fully aware why i gained the weight.

Mauby

Reaction score
Get the works: blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read it and said check your TSH levels, because at 25, you shouldn't really be experiencing your metabolism slowing down at that significant a rate. Sounds like hypothyroidism to me. It would also make sense about the grogginess, lethargy, etc.

Note: I am not a physician, and this is not medical advice. Consult a physician for proper medical care. And good luck.

edit: a full blood work up won't hurt either. Always a good thing to know how your body's doing. I found out my one of my liver enzyme (AST) levels was 12x the normal value on my last blood test (<12months ago). Good to know these things.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working at night really screws up the circadian rhythm and hence your metabolism, and from that you get fluctuations in your weight and mood. Apparently this can happen even if you don't change your eating and exercise patterns. You might want to look at getting a normal job FWIW.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Im in the same rut, 25, tired all the time, gained weight. Stressed out all the time. Hangovers are 150% worse from when I was 21..... Feel dehydrated all the time...

I just assumed it means Im getting older.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads