• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

learning poker

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HUD?

my friends seem to play texas holdem. I was familiar with 5 card, but I guess that itn't in now.

what's the difference between tourniment and cash?

what I really want to learn is how to play a social game, and not loose too much or look like afool, essentially.

thanks

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heads-up display basically, it records everything about your online games. It builds stats about you and your opponents and remembers every hand you ever played. Because when you play online you see thousands of playesr, there's no way to keep track of what kind of player they are without this kind of software. The software superimposes their stats onto the table so that you can see what type of player they are. you can also go in to your hand history and replay hands, or filter them to see tons of different stats that you can use to improve your game. 2 options: http://www.pokertracker.com/ http://www.holdemmanager.com/ If you are going to play online, it's definitely worth the upfront investment.

nbouscal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
HUD? my friends seem to play texas holdem. I was familiar with 5 card, but I guess that itn't in now. what's the difference between tourniment and cash? what I really want to learn is how to play a social game, and not loose too much or look like afool, essentially. thanks
Yeah 5 card stud/draw has fallen out of favor for some reason, 5 card draw is the game I was originally raised on too. In a tournament you buy in for a set amount of money and are given an arbitrary number of chips (online usually 1,500 or 2,000 unless it's a doublestack/superstack tourney), then you basically play to get all the chips. The money is put in a prize pool and usually awarded to the top ~10% of players. The blinds go up throughout the tournament, which is the primary reason that playstyle is different. In a cash game the blinds stay the same, and you can sit down and stand back up whenever you want to. Cash used to be the predominant form of poker that was played but for the past decade or maybe a bit longer tournament style poker has been much more popular. A lot of that is due to the popularization of the WSOP on ESPN, etc.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think 5 card draw was ever a popular tournament or cash game. Relies far more on luck of the draw than Hold 'Em (etc), only one round of betting, etc..

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which online sites are good for Americans now (ie reliable and easy to get money into)?

nbouscal

Reaction score
Five card draw used to be a very popular cash game. And there's more than one round of betting.

Most sites are fine, though supposedly something or other is happening June 1st (tomorrow) that will cause problems, UIGEA related. Honestly though, I doubt anything will change. I play on Full Tilt and have never had any issues, have also played on Cake and have friends that play on Stars and UB.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Which online sites are good for Americans now (ie reliable and easy to get money into)?

The problem is on the banking side, no? The major sites aren't located in the US as it is. This is such a stupid ******* law though, and it's shameful the way it was passed.

Anyway, you should still be able to use sites like moneybookers to load/unload money onto a poker site.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
The best book for a new poker player is Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb. It has nothing to do with poker strategy but understanding it will help develop the right mindset for poker.

Baron Kurtz

Reaction score
i would start with omaha, because you can play more hands then in holdem. In omaha you are dealt 4 cards and have to always use 2 of them to make the best poker hand. Because you dont have to worry about the other two cards too much you can play lot of speculative hands and have more chance to hit the flop. If you get to see a flop cheaply you can even see it with a hand like 9763 all different suits.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ If you want to see more flops, sit at more tables or play 6-max. Knowing omaha isn't going to help him at hold'em.

nbouscal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/

best cash game poker forum on the net

ftfy. P5s is way better for tourney-style players.

Starting with Omaha is a bad idea. You'll develop bad habits of playing way too many hands and chasing too many draws. Plus, it's much easier to follow Omaha strategy once you're competent in Texas Hold'em.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz
i would start with omaha, because you can play more hands then in holdem. In omaha you are dealt 4 cards and have to always use 2 of them to make the best poker hand. Because you dont have to worry about the other two cards too much you can play lot of speculative hands and have more chance to hit the flop. If you get to see a flop cheaply you can even see it with a hand like 9763 all different suits.
This is really bad advice for a lot of reasons. It's true that preflop equities run closer together in Omaha than hold 'em but that doesn't mean you can play any hand, especially if you're new and don't know how to read hands or estimate your equity against your opponents range. Learning Omaha is really difficult because you get dealt six different combos in your starting hand and you'll need to be very good at estimating your equity as you'll be getting the money in on such marginal equity advantages/disadvantages so often.

ciadd40

Reaction score
if you're only looking to be a recreational player, get the free 1-month trial at deucescracked.com and just watch all the videos aimed at micro-stakes. i'm not sure about you, but i definitely learn things better when i see things unfold rather than read a book. all the vids are drm-free too so you technically just rip the whole site in the 1 month and watch the vids at your leisure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads