• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't EVER go to Montreal to Party

deranged

Reaction score
I just have a quick rant / advice for people considering going to Montreal to party

So i just finished my 4th year at U of T and some close buddies (4 guys in all) and I decide to go to Montreal for a couple of days because we've heard that it's a party town.

Day 1: Thursday
We booked our hotel room with 4 beds in one room and find out at check in that the room was intended for 2 people. If we wanted to have 4 ppl in the room, we have to pay $40 more a night. Fine. We paid.

After catching the habs game at the 3 brewers and getting hammered, we visit a strip club. The girls in the club are disgusting (late 20s/ early 30s, mostly chubby, dirty strippers). We paid for a "lesbian show" with 2 strippers that was agreed on to be $40. After going to the private booth with them and watching them eat eachother out for 30s seconds and yapping with the bouncer for another 30 seconds. They tell us that it's going to be $50 more per person including the 40 we paid them. We were scared of getting our ass kicked so after a breif argument, we obliged.
Went back to the hotel feeling like **** (we're students, have a tight budget)

Day 2: Friday
Walked around the city during the day. Nothing to see. Toronto has everything montreal has except better. The streets of montreal are dirty. Graffiti everywhere. Run down houses every other block. Homeless drunk harassing you at every intersection. The metro system smells like burnt rubber.
Had a sandwich at Schwartz's - highlight of the day.

That night - Went to the 2 "hottest" clubs in MTL.
First - La Mouche - all guys and a few chubby girls. 4 gogo dancers on stage who were the only ones dancing. Place was empty at 1:30am. We quickly leave and head to the other "hot spot".
Tonic - Nicer venue, all guys. Dancefloor was empty. Ginos with their shirts unbuttoned halfway everywhere jumping around.
We head back to our hotel, passing by dirty hookers on every block - some without any bottoms on.
Disgusted, go back to bed.

Day 3: Saturday
Visit the lakeshore. Nothing to see. Walked by a lot of beautiful churches, but can't go in because they charge an entrance fee (wtf)...
Eat at Frite Alors - poutine was WAAAAYYY overhyped.
Ended up playing cards at a second cup.
Went home.

Worst trip ever. If you're considering Montreal, don't go. Just come to Toronto instead. It's an English version of Montreal except everything is 100 times better.

/rant

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
I just have a quick rant / advice for people considering going to Montreal to party So i just finished my 4th year at U of T and some close buddies (4 guys in all) and I decide to go to Montreal for a couple of days because we've heard that it's a party town. Day 1: Thursday We booked our hotel room with 4 beds in one room and find out at check in that the room was intended for 2 people. If we wanted to have 4 ppl in the room, we have to pay $40 more a night. Fine. We paid. After catching the habs game at the 3 brewers and getting hammered, we visit a strip club. The girls in the club are disgusting (late 20s/ early 30s, mostly chubby, dirty strippers). We paid for a "lesbian show" with 2 strippers that was agreed on to be $40. After going to the private booth with them and watching them eat eachother out for 30s seconds and yapping with the bouncer for another 30 seconds. They tell us that it's going to be $50 more per person including the 40 we paid them. We were scared of getting our ass kicked so after a breif argument, we obliged. Went back to the hotel feeling like **** (we're students, have a tight budget) Day 2: Friday Walked around the city during the day. Nothing to see. Toronto has everything montreal has except better. The streets of montreal are dirty. Graffiti everywhere. Run down houses every other block. Homeless drunk harassing you at every intersection. The metro system smells like burnt rubber. Had a sandwich at Schwartz's - highlight of the day. That night - Went to the 2 "hottest" clubs in MTL. First - La Mouche - all guys and a few chubby girls. 4 gogo dancers on stage who were the only ones dancing. Place was empty at 1:30am. We quickly leave and head to the other "hot spot". Tonic - Nicer venue, all guys. Dancefloor was empty. Ginos with their shirts unbuttoned halfway everywhere jumping around. We head back to our hotel, passing by dirty hookers on every block - some without any bottoms on. Disgusted, go back to bed. Day 3: Saturday Visit the lakeshore. Nothing to see. Walked by a lot of beautiful churches, but can't go in because they charge an entrance fee (wtf)... Eat at Frite Alors - poutine was WAAAAYYY overhyped. Ended up playing cards at a second cup. Went home. Worst trip ever. If you're considering Montreal, don't go. Just come to Toronto instead. It's an English version of Montreal except everything is 100 times better. /rant
I don't even know where to start here. I'm from Montreal (though I've lived and will be living in Toronto) and the problem is that your itinerary ******* sucked. (La Mouche? Tonic? Doesn't seem like you did much else other than go to one crappy strip club and two crappy clubs in three days. WTF.) Also, I'm willing to bet the strip joint was Gentleman's Choice. I had the same thing happen to me there, but I wasn't such a ******* pansy about it and got our money back. You sound like lame people. Here's what I would do to party in Montreal: Drink on Crescent Street, catch a Habs game (if they're in town), grab a late dinner at Au Pied du Cochon, head over to Prince-Arthur and the dirty bars there, make way over to St. Laurent and hit up the nicer bar/lounges there. Then, either walk down to Old Montreal for the bar at the W and the other classy places down there or walk back towards Crescent, stopping at Wanda's for a few lap dances and then bars on Bishop. Oh yeah, grab a slice of pizza at Madonna or some hot dogs and poutine at La Belle. Done.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
....and the problem is that your itinerary ******* sucked.

Seriously.

nauru

Reaction score
Yes Montreal is vastly overrated. Save up and go someplace better next time. Such as Amsterdam or Barcelona.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We head back to our hotel, passing by dirty hookers on every block - some without any bottoms on.

This sounds like the beginning of one hell of a letter to Penthouse. Yours was a failure of the imagination.

deranged

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start here. I'm from Montreal (though I've lived and will be living in Toronto) and the problem is that your itinerary ******* sucked. (La Mouche? Tonic? Doesn't seem like you did much else other than go to one crappy strip club and two crappy clubs in three days. WTF.) Also, I'm willing to bet the strip joint was Gentleman's Choice. I had the same thing happen to me there, but I wasn't such a ******* pansy about it and got our money back.

You sound like lame people.

Here's what I would do to party in Montreal: Drink on Crescent Street, catch a Habs game (if they're in town), grab a late dinner at Au Pied du Cochon, head over to Prince-Arthur and the dirty bars there, make way over to St. Laurent and hit up the nicer bar/lounges there. Then, either walk down to Old Montreal for the bar at the W and the other classy places down there or walk back towards Crescent, stopping at Wanda's for a few lap dances and then bars on Bishop. Oh yeah, grab a slice of pizza at Madonna or some hot dogs and poutine at La Belle.

Done.

Well, let me rephrase. Montreal was not a good party spot for fresh college grads on a budget (we spent ~800 for the 3 days including hotel). I think the lounges are for an older crowd and although they might have been nice, we wouldnt have fit in (we're all ~22). We were on both st.laurante and cresent on our nights out. The streets were not as full as toronto's except for the night the habs won. The cab drivers told us St.laurent used to be a lot more lively, but many bars and strip joints have closed down within the last few months (there were at least 6-7 spots with freshly boarded up windows and doors when we walked around).

The people in Montreal were a lot nicer than ppl in toronto. The food was good. But the city was just very dirty and the night life was dissappointing. Maybe there was too much hype going into it, but I was expecting a lot more...

Cognacad

Reaction score
I have partied in Montreal and it is sick, no doubt. Is it sicker than Amsterdam or Ibizza? No. Still though, not many places in North America that could beat it consistently for a great time.

deranged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
I have partied in Montreal and it is sick, no doubt. Is it sicker than Amsterdam or Ibizza? No. Still though, not many places in North America that could beat it consistently for a great time.

Have you visited recently? I think maybe it's gone down hill the past couple of years (with the recession and all the banks leaving). Some other friends who have gone recently have said they felt it was really run down also.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Have you visited recently? I think maybe it's gone down hill the past couple of years (with the recession and all the banks leaving). Some other friends who have gone recently have said they felt it was really run down also.

Again, WTF "with all the banks leaving." That happened, like, 20 years ago, dude.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Well, let me rephrase. Montreal was not a good party spot for fresh college grads on a budget (we spent ~800 for the 3 days including hotel). I think the lounges are for an older crowd and although they might have been nice, we wouldnt have fit in (we're all ~22).
Let me rephrase: It is way cheaper to go out nicely in Montreal than in Toronto ($10-20 covers are routine in Toronto but not in Montreal, for example). You just chose to go to cheap ****** places instead of slightly more expensive, much better places. With each post, you demonstrate that you had absolutely no idea what you were doing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What makes you decide to join SF, barely do any posting for two years, then come here to ***** about the fact you could not do Montreal properly? Just saying.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a brothel in Montreal 9 years ago and she wanted to do it with a full bag on her body!

I got some laughs of that ¿ joke ? and went to a strip bar. We end in the hotel this time.

The city was like Blade Runner, I would like to go back. I bought a Minimoog from 1972 there!

deranged

Reaction score
Again, WTF "with all the banks leaving." That happened, like, 20 years ago, dude.

Not very informed about this. Just relaying info from what the cab driver told us when we asked him why our nights sucked. He's been driving cabs there for 15 years.

Let me rephrase: It is way cheaper to go out nicely in Montreal than in Toronto ($10-20 covers are routine in Toronto but not in Montreal, for example). You just chose to go to cheap ****** places instead of slightly more expensive, much better places.

With each post, you demonstrate that you had absolutely no idea what you were doing.

I agree the covers were much cheaper. $9 at La Mouche and $10 at Tonic (might be the other way around). I just thought there weren't enough people who wanted to party there. There were only a handful of clubs in MTL whereas Toronto has 20+ in the entertainment district alone, yet there weren't enough people to fill the MTL joints. Half of the people that we talked to in the clubs were from out of town (mostly Toronto) anyway. We walked around the Eaton Center (in MTL) and asked the girls that worked in the stores and they all had said La Mouche and Tonic were the 2 hottest places to go out on a friday night... Maybe they lied to us and kept the nicer clubs to themselves...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads