• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Like the shoes. What brand? Foot Joy?

Nice stop at the range today. Dialing in the new 7 iron nicely. It's all about just swinging through the ball.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I use zen-isms for athletic self improvement "Be the ball" and such. They don't do ****.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I use zen-isms for athletic self improvement "Be the ball" and such. They don't do ****.

Have you tried talking to your clubs before hitting the links? It may help.

"You gotta want it boys!!"

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Have you tried talking to your clubs before hitting the links? It may help.

"You gotta want it boys!!"

I prefer prayer and a sacrificial beer to the golf gods.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Played today, or sort of played. Greens were punched. Used some shovels that I borrowed from a friend. Hit 14 greens with a couple of kick ins. Now I am thinking of picking some up for myself. Fun, the first time out since January.
frown.gif

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
^ Like the shoes. What brand? Foot Joy?

Nice stop at the range today. Dialing in the new 7 iron nicely. It's all about just swinging through the ball.

shoes are from brooks brothers

wetnose

Reaction score

So the result is when I maintain form, my club head speed is slower than what I'm actually capable of generating. The idea is to get the correct mechanics ingrained and then, a few years down the road, I'll be able to unleash but keep proper form. So there's the expensive part: the eventual re-shafting to a stronger flex.

Not really...if you go with hirekogolf.com, you can get some great deals. They do single iron orders as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tropics
shoes are from brooks brothers

Ah. They look nice.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
88 today -- new personal best (beating out a few 89s from last year).

Nice!

Tried talking Mrs. Piob into doing 9 at our nearby course where we hit the range. She doesn't want to try yet. Understandable, given we've only used our irons to date.
laugh.gif
Hope to get out and try at least nine within the month.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Nice!

Tried talking Mrs. Piob into doing 9 at our nearby course where we hit the range. She doesn't want to try yet. Understandable, given we've only used our irons to date.
laugh.gif

Yup, as long as you're not dangerous or way too slow, best way to learn is out on the course.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
88 today -- new personal best (beating out a few 89s from last year).

NICE!

Nice!

laugh.gif

9 holes is the way to go.

Went to the range today, seemed to have replaced my slice with a hook. And was fairly mediocre.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Break through for both of us today. She's still very inconsistent but I watched her hit her best shots ever today. I think it's a combination of the clubs and the lessons. She still over thinks and will often pull the club head up in fear of getting a hard "stinger," when you go so fat you just dig up deep turf. However, several shots, straight and true, a nice 60 yards or so in the air with her 7 iron. Certain progress.

Me. Every swing that I just relaxed, swung easy, let the club do its job, a nice 7 iron shot. Good air, 120-140 yards in the air. Every time I tried to muscle it, a total **** up. Instant feedback. This is actually a break through, in that I was consistent every time I just relaxed and swung.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every time I tried to muscle it, a total **** up. Instant feedback. This is actually a break through, in that I was consistent every time I just relaxed and swung.

I've noticed this seems to be my biggest roadblock, just to play golf, let the club do the work.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I've noticed this seems to be my biggest roadblock, just to play golf, let the club do the work.

Mrs. Piob and I were debriefing tonight. I told her, 40 years of harder, faster, stronger is hard to overcome, but my golf instructor has it totally correct. Lighter flex than what my upper body might call for that leads to correct swing mechanics. Relaxed and easy = success. Trying to muscle it = failure. Maybe a few years from now I can combine both, but for now, relaxed and easy
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads