• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) vs. $10 street vendors/Exxon sunglasses

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I added a search on Ebay for (Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) and actually like what I see. First impressions: I prefer rounded brown plastic frames vs. wire-framed.
3n13o23pe5W55U05X2a5r8bb010d7f5c51873.jpg
Serengeti brown lenses = Bono. Aviators = Top Gun / (younger kids?) Wayfarers = Risky Business ?? Persols aren't wire-framed. (or sports style Exxon biker/kyacker glasses) They have a "domesticated" vibe going, but not in a bad way. Not trying to be hip/cool, but more the hedge fund in white khakis guy holding his wife's purse while shopping for antiques. "tortoise frame" is distinctive, but could backfire. ....I will keep looking, and I think I just upped my cap to $100. Great... I think I like brown/rust frames. http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Maui-J...#ht_4260wt_912 What are some of your favorites? http://clothing.shop.ebay.com/Mens-A...=p3286.c0.m282

Ed13

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of Ray Bans and a pair of Maui Jims. I prefer the RBs and they are less expensive as well. I only purchase polarized sunglasses. My main uses are driving and fishing.

I would hesitate to consider fashion house sunglasses. Generally overpriced and poor quality. My wife bought me a pair from Channel about 12 years ago. Pure crap for $400. Distorted lenses and cheap hinges.

I won't buy real cheap sunglasses. While many companies make products in China, quality control is the issue. The Chinese can make decent products if forced too. Knock off and no name products will have some corners cut in production to save costs. I won't risk damaging my sight for the sake of a few bucks.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) vs. $10 street vendors/Exxon sunglasses

Exxon is so last Valdez,
I so prefer BP. Come with nice beach sludge, dead/gasping for breath marine life accessories.

-

jacnyr

Reaction score
My Ray Ban's bought in the 70's, if my memory is correct. The frames were made in Italy and glass lens made in USA. My Serengeti's, the frames also made in Italy and lens made I don't know where but; glass is produced by Corning. The point is they have to meet certain parameters that the 10-15 dollar sunglasses don't even think about.
My eyes to important to me and I think are worth the extra cost, just go to Serengeti's web site and see the technology involved with their photochromic lenses.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this justification of "my eyes are worth it"
Most segments of the planet (and history) live entire lives and never wear sunglasses, ever.
Yet, I don't see an epidemic of blindness in nursing homes, Ghana, or history books.
Like most things, this just sounds like marketing hype to me...

laphroaig

Reaction score
I appreciate a quality product. If something looks timeless has lasted over 30 years I'd be willing to pay over $300 for it.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not long ago Persol wasn't a designer brand, but just a staple brand of Luxottica, the Italian company that makes most quality mass-produced eyewear. So they used to cost about 50% less than (say) Gucci or Etro or Web or Ray-Ban sunglassess (I think those are all made or owned by Luxottica). But now Luxottica have decided to promote Persol as a brand so to replace my trusty shades I'd have to shell out like a designer whore, which bugs me.

Having said that, I think $10 means crappy lenses, which can't be that good for your eyesight.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacnyr
My eyes to important to me and I think are worth the extra cost, just go to Serengeti's web site and see the technology involved with their photochromic lenses.

They are selling you snake oil. There is ZERO independent evidence that expensive designer lenses are better for you. If spending big bucks for sunglasses makes you feel better about yourself then that's fine, but stop deluding yourself that you're doing it "for your eyes". Anything above about $30 means you're paying for something other than simply eye protection.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
The biggest deficiency I notice in cheap sunglasses is not actually lense distortion, which is a problem, but frame distortion. Set a pair down on a table and usually you can immediately notice there are issues with the frame lining up, so the fit isn't as good. This cuases the lenses to be more likely to pop out too. The point about expensive frames being repairable is an excellent one. Much like expensive shoes being repairable, that's what you get with quality. As far as I've seen, Rayban are the best value for quality vs. price. That's why I usually buy them. Anything higher-priced than that is diminishing returns, and sunglasses are marked-up in price higher than almost anything else in stores. Sunglasses, cologne, and wallets, those are the price offenders.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a cheap-o sunglass person for the exact reason you mentioned. Afraid to lose an expensive pair. I bought two pair of Ray Bans a few years back (around $100 each at Nordstroms) and I've yet to lose either, because I'm careful. You'll act more carelessly if you know the glasses are easy to replace. Think of it the same way as you would how you wear expensive shoes, you're (or at least I am) generally more careful.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add my 2 cents, saw some good looking Lanvin aviators the other day in a Sunglass Hut. I was like, sweet! They were about $150 marked down from $390 or something ridiculous, so I got them. Once I got home and started looking them over, I realized they were quite poorly made, and saw the same pair on Ebay for BIN of $49..took them back, I think I'm done with designer shades. I'll stick with my polarized Smith's for under $100...

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear prescription glasses, but switched to contacts a few months ago and decided to get some sunglasses. I was looking for nicer ones to fit my face too (I need a small temple-to-temple measurement, and that info usually isn't provided) but got a cheap pair ($30 marked down to $6) for a daytime event I'd be attending outdoors. The first day I had them I dropped and sat on them, so I bent them back into shape and dropped the idea of getting a more expensive pair.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that most of the designer brands are not made too well. Esp. some of the persols, raybans and Chanel (for my wife) i bought recently. Chanels were made well compared to the former two. I now wear Maui Jims, theyre expensive as hell, but worth it for me. Theyre lenses are awesome. Most of these designer sunglasses are made by 1 company, Luxottica. Maui Jim and Chanel and Mykita make their own.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Persols at C21 for $40 2 years ago (now around $50-60 iirc) and a pair of brand new Etro's on Ebay for $30. Both are great and since I love them so much I make sure to be careful about losing them.

I did have a pair of Brooks' Brothers aviators that were decent but were lifted from me at a Ski Lodge a year ago. Thankfully they were very inexpensive and I've since learned to keep a better eye on my things.

I don't think I'd ever buy sunglasses at full retail unless they were ABSOLUTE must haves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads