• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
take a look a the picture right above your post. I don't think you can do much better than that.
Holy ****, I just glanced at that and thought he was wearing navy trousers. Haha, well those are Cigars and look GREAT......so exactly how much 'redder' is the #8 compared to Cigar? Also, I'm sort of leaning towards whiskey for 2 reasons 1.They're not as common. 2. I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc0053photo.jpg

ravello lwb, spots are from walking in wet grass with morning dew from rain. after it dries up naturally spots disappear.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hopefully in the next 2 months going to buy some captoe boots in #8 shell grant last. i think #8 looks good after some time and wearing cigar looks pretty good brand new and only even better with time.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
2. I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.
I'd have to say that you can't really compare the two colors. I have a couple pairs of each and love them both but the difference is amazing to me. Cigar shell has a transparent depth that the chromexcel just can't compare to. Cigar has reds and greens and oranges deep within the "brown" depending on how the light hits it. Cigar also fades with time and sunlight revealing more of it's subtleties as it ages. Chromexcel is beautiful in a different way, but not nearly as deep. Maybe you just have to see them in person to appreciate the difference. Whiskey is an amazing color and also possesses that transparent depth. So does #8 and Ravello for that matter. Either way, I think a shell longwing is a great addition to any collection and will go well with denim.
cigarwings.jpg

young Ego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
yes it does run narrow. i wear 10.5d in barrie, 11d in hampton, but can not find the right fit for leydon this last just does not fit me well. i say get your true to size but go up a width so d go to e.

I was about to ask about the width sizing of the leydon last and found this. Is this accurate? Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by young Ego
I was about to ask about the width sizing of the leydon last and found this. Is this accurate? Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

It's perhaps accurate for him, but I don't think it's correct in general.
The Leydon only seems narrow in comparison to the other Alden lasts. In general I don't think it's that narrow.

Of course in your case, the increased availability of d width might make it worth trying.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.

imo, there is no comparison at all to be made between cigar and chromexcel. I don't mean that cigar is way better. They are just entirely different types of leather. They are both brown, but the finish and texture is so different that i would never worry that owning one might make the other redundant.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by young Ego
Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

This depends on the leather, no? For suede chukkas on the Leydon, The Alden Shop has been starting people off in their normal size and making adjustments from there. The SA mentioned that the suede stretches significantly and he's been sizing people with that in mind. Coming from him, this means something. I've found him to be very consistent in his mantra 'comfortable out of the store', and advising not to buy any of their non-suede shoes, calf or otherwise, expecting any stretch.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for triple post, but I have a restoration question. Can leather heel pads be replaced during standard Alden restoration?

My feet now require insoles in all my shoes (plantar injury from running), and rather than a soft insole I'm considering a superfeet 3/4 'dress' insole, which is a hard, unlined plastic with aggressive arch support. My feet feel great with these insoles--better supported than the superfeet lined, full insoles that I've been wearing with my non-Alden shoes. But the dress insoles I'm considering have a hard textured bottom that may permanently dent the original heel pad.

Just wondering what kind of damage or wear I might be committing the shoe to if I go with these insoles--and how permanent it will be for the shoe. If heel pads can't be replaced during restoration, I may continue looking for a softer, lined, full insole for my newer purchases.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Heel pads are always replaced at restoration.

Hello Tom,

Would you be willing to consider a special make up run of Plaza lasted longwings? I'd love a pair and don't want to incur the $150 MTO fee.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Hello Tom,

Would you be willing to consider a special make up run of Plaza lasted longwings? I'd love a pair and don't want to incur the $150 MTO fee.

I would have to ask the
foo.gif
first.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
I would have to ask the
foo.gif
first.

Just call it the Mafoo Shoe! On edit: If you make the shoe with a double sole then
foo.gif
will be
ffffuuuu.gif
and might even buy himself a pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads