• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaiserkarl
what about a dog? though i've liked them at any age.

I would say hell no. Way too much of a hassle--it kills all of the "be able to travel at moments notice" and "be able to up and move quick and easily anywhere" ideals presented in this thread.

I just got a cat and would say the above applies to cats as well but less so (I recognize the hassle and probably wouldn't have actively gone out and bought a cat, but in my situation I ended up with a cat and I like it). For instance, I left my apartment yesterday morning to go to work and got home just before midnight. Cat was like "sup?"

Dog would be like "*slobber* *slobber* oh btw, I pooed in the corner."

If I want to go away for the weekend, I just gotta get somebody to stop by over the weekend and check on it (not hard when most of your friends live in walking distance of your apartment). I think most of my friends would be unwilling to dog-sit and I would get stuck paying for a kennel. I could even get one of those sky-mall style multiple day food dispensers and not have to worry about anything other than a nasty litter box.

Of course, if you have a roommate who is not also a close friend (that is, if you are travelling...they probably won't be coming with), then pets might be more of a non-issue but otherwise they can be a hassle.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned a baseball bat. A truly essential item.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Nah, what would you ever use a baseball bat for? What you need is a baseball glove.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
flask, cocktail shaker, mortar and pestle, pocket mirror, good razor blades, digital scale, baby straws

The last 5 are quite a good combination, but I wouldn't use a straw
devil.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a motorcycle
memories of old girlfriends
a couple of cool scars, each with a story
maybe a pair of beat up but quality boots and a "custom" distressed pair of jeans
a nice suit

edit: oh yeah, and the ability to select and enjoy fine food and liquor

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the scar is actually more important than the story. nothing worse than getting in a fight/accident/crazy sexual experience and having nothing but a bruise. you can work on the story later.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a really cool chair that you love sitting in. I bought a le Corbusier chaise with tricolor pony skin and never ever regretted it. A great music system although you will upgrade in your late 30's guaranteed. A great camera. Good suitcase. Smart briefcase. Good umbrella. A savings and or investment acct. A guitar or other musical instrument. Camping gear, you will have it for ever. A gym membership and use it. A cool and functional reading lamp. A great set of steak knives.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
the scar is actually more important than the story. nothing worse than getting in a fight/accident/crazy sexual experience and having nothing but a bruise. you can work on the story later.

I read this yesterday and guess what? I spent this morning in the ER getting 10 stitches. Now, anyone have any good ideas for my story?
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
a library card
clean sheets
a knowledge of food /entertaining beyond top ramen

A library card?? In 2010?? Joking right???

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I read this yesterday and guess what? I spent this morning in the ER getting 10 stitches. Now, anyone have any good ideas for my story?
smile.gif

For starters, it should involve the chick in your avatar.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
Nah, what would you ever use a baseball bat for? What you need is a baseball glove.

Intruders!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads