• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KAALA
just wondering what you all thought of my early prom suit idea...

black slim suit jacket
black and white gingham shirt
slim tie (not too slim and i'm not sure on the exact colour yet)
black slim trousers
black and white two-tone brogues

so what do you all think?

Sounds like you are going for the slim look?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dai19
What is everyone recommendation for a slim fitting, well constructed navy blue suit with a drop of 8? I ask here because I have a pretty large aversion to creating new threads for stupid questions, but I've suddenly found myself in need of a suit and, with a budget of around $500, am sort of afraid of getting screwed.
I'm not big on the whole slim suit thing, but if that is what you're looking for and your price point is $500, you could probably do worse than Thick as Thieves. There's not much else in that price range unless you go second-hand or down-market.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KAALA
just wondering what you all thought of my early prom suit idea...

black slim suit jacket
black and white gingham shirt
slim tie (not too slim and i'm not sure on the exact colour yet)
black slim trousers
black and white two-tone brogues

so what do you all think?

It sounds like you're going for more of a fleeting fashionable look rather than a timeless stylish look. Bear in mind that you're asking opinions from a forum that prefers the latter except when the streetwear & denim folks wander over or when a bunch of guys come in near the end of the school year asking about prom attire. Even if you're going for the fashionable look, you should ditch the gingham shirt in favor of a plain white one because you have too many two-tone black and white items. If you're going for a stylish look, well, you need to start from square one.

Dai19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I'm not big on the whole slim suit thing, but if that is what you're looking for and your price point is $500, you could probably do worse than Thick as Thieves. There's not much else in that price range unless you go second-hand or down-market.

Well, not a slim suit (I'm still in the newbie mindset that slim=fitted) but a well-made navy suit that will fit my body. After checking out the TAT site, I'm not sure I'm really the body type that they cater to; I've got pretty broad shoulders and a tiny waist compared to my hips. More of a Ralph Lauren body than a Dior body. Any more recommendations for places in my area to check out?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I have an extremely small wardrobe, and I'm trying to build from scratch. BB is currently having a sale on shirts, and I thought I'd buy two or four prior to the Father's Day sale in case my size goes out of stock. I was planning to get two OCBD's - one in blue, and one in pink. Does that sound good? If I could get two other shirts, what would you recommend? (I was thinking about the blue stripped OCBD, but I'm not sure for a fourth shirt.)

If you don't have a nice white shirt, get one. Classic and the most versatile. Also, you might consider buying two of your shirts non-button down. This gives a bit more versatility to your wardrobe.

All the best.

EZ

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I should probably know this, but what does FNB mean on here?

EZ

enarchay

Reaction score
Two more quick questions...

I'm planning to buy an AE belt to wear with jeans and khakis/chinos. Which models are preferable at a lower price? And what color comes closest to "chili?" I don't see that option in belts, but "tan" looks similar.

I'd like to buy two or three pocket squares through https://www.kentwang.com. I know I want one in linen, and white would be preferable (for the TV fold), but should I get colored edges and if so what color? What patterned/colored silk pocket squares on that site would you guys recommend I get if I had to choose three (including the one linen, as I said)?

Thanks.

KAALA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Sounds like you are going for the slim look?

not exactly, i would just say fitted. nothing like one of those skinny suits.

Originally Posted by dah328
It sounds like you're going for more of a fleeting fashionable look rather than a timeless stylish look. Bear in mind that you're asking opinions from a forum that prefers the latter except when the streetwear & denim folks wander over or when a bunch of guys come in near the end of the school year asking about prom attire. Even if you're going for the fashionable look, you should ditch the gingham shirt in favor of a plain white one because you have too many two-tone black and white items. If you're going for a stylish look, well, you need to start from square one.

oh right, i see. thankyou for the advice
smile.gif

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an extremely small wardrobe, and I'm trying to build from scratch. BB is currently having a sale on shirts, and I thought I'd buy two or four prior to the Father's Day sale in case my size goes out of stock. I was planning to get two OCBD's - one in blue, and one in pink. Does that sound good? If I could get two other shirts, what would you recommend? (I was thinking about the blue stripped OCBD, but I'm not sure for a fourth shirt.)
Yup, those two sound good. I'd also recommend a white OCBD, but you didn't mention that, so I'm assuming you have one already. If BB's fit is good on you, you may want to think about getting another white, either a button-down or something else like a spread collar. The blue striped you mentioned is a good staple. - Keith P.S. The BB shirt sale ended yesterday.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dai19
Well, not a slim suit (I'm still in the newbie mindset that slim=fitted) but a well-made navy suit that will fit my body. After checking out the TAT site, I'm not sure I'm really the body type that they cater to; I've got pretty broad shoulders and a tiny waist compared to my hips. More of a Ralph Lauren body than a Dior body. Any more recommendations for places in my area to check out?
You might consider their "Classic" cut or whatever they call their less skinny cut. Aside from that, at the $500 price point, you're down to looking for sales at different retailers or second-hand.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I should probably know this, but what does FNB mean on here?
Film Noir Buff after the now-banned poster. There are various threads here explaining SF lore along those lines. One's currently in DT.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Thanks, doods! Yeah, I remember FNB now, just didn't make the association...

EZ

enarchay

Reaction score
Two more quick questions...

I'm planning to buy an AE belt to wear with jeans and khakis/chinos. Which models are preferable at a lower price? And what color comes closest to "chili?" I don't see that option in belts, but "tan" looks similar.

I'd like to buy two or three pocket squares through https://www.kentwang.com. I know I want one in linen, and white would be preferable (for the TV fold), but should I get colored edges and if so what color? What patterned/colored silk pocket squares on that site would you guys recommend I get if I had to choose three (including the one linen, as I said)?

Thanks.

Anyone? Specifically in relation to the second question.

rgr555

Reaction score
can anyone ID these sunglasses? any educated guesses on which designer?
e3a444989887931f78fd7df.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads