• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

enarchay

Reaction score
Are these shoes in good enough condition to warrant the price? Should I opt for these brand new shoes instead? I plan to wear either of these with jeans and khakis and - perhaps eventually and for rare occasions - a suit. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but only if it is absolutely necessary; I want to get the best deal possible. What do you guys think?

LRMD

Reaction score
I have to buy groomsmen ties as a gift. They all have the same suit. Should I get them all the same tie, or 7 different ones?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LRMD
I have to buy groomsmen ties as a gift. They all have the same suit. Should I get them all the same tie, or 7 different ones?
Different ties. I don't know how it came to be popular wisdom that all the groomsmen are supposed to be identically dressed, but I suspect the Men's Wearhouse had something to do with it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Are these shoes in good enough condition to warrant the price? Should I opt for these brand new shoes instead? I plan to wear either of these with jeans and khakis and - perhaps eventually and for rare occasions - a suit. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but only if it is absolutely necessary; I want to get the best deal possible.

What do you guys think?

The used shoes show some odd wear around the heel counter that would concern me. Being balmorals rather than bluchers, they look a little formal for jeans.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc842
Is it possible to turn a 44L into a 44R without destroying the jacket? I can get a great deal on a long but need a regular.
Maybe. The general rule of thumb is that you can shorten a jacket about one inch before the proportions start to look wrong.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
Why does my collar always show above my tie? I know it is not supposed to show, but how do I fix it? Please help- this is really bothering me.
It's either an improperly fitting shirt or an improperly tied tie. It's hard to tell without a picture.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
The owner says this is caused by shoe trees.
If that's true, he doesn't know how to use shoe trees. Used properly, they don't do that to a shoe. Either way, they've resulted in wear to the heel counter that would bother me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Anyone know if the J Crew Straight Fit Vintage 5-pocket Cords are slim fit? I don't need it to be skin tight - just don't want it to be a baggy fit. Is $40 a reasonable price for them? I have seen some listed on the internets at that price.

I have some (though they are several years old) and they seem slim enough...I wouldn't mind another pair.

I can't tell if they are sized down or not...one tag says 34x32 and another tag says 32x34. The slimness and tightness in the waist would suggest 32x34...but they are not as long as 34l jeans (but that may be that the cords are cut shorter than the denim)

dv_indian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I have some (though they are several years old) and they seem slim enough...I wouldn't mind another pair.

I can't tell if they are sized down or not...one tag says 34x32 and another tag says 32x34. The slimness and tightness in the waist would suggest 32x34...but they are not as long as 34l jeans (but that may be that the cords are cut shorter than the denim)

Thanks for the reply. I will try one and see how it fits.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Thanks for the reply. I will try one and see how it fits.

I'd love to figure out which size is actually right (though I am leaning towards 32x34 as 32L is pretty short but I could probably swing 32W with no trouble). I think I stepped in a bleach puddle or something...there are some bleach-stain looking spots on one of the legs (all within a foot of the opening)...GRRR!

I never see them in stores (though I don't freqeuent J.Crew stores that often) so I can't just try one on.

LRMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Different ties. I don't know how it came to be popular wisdom that all the groomsmen are supposed to be identically dressed, but I suspect the Men's Wearhouse had something to do with it.

I was hoping for that answer. Thanks.

KAALA

Reaction score
just wondering what you all thought of my early prom suit idea...

black slim suit jacket
black and white gingham shirt
slim tie (not too slim and i'm not sure on the exact colour yet)
black slim trousers
black and white two-tone brogues

so what do you all think?

Dai19

Reaction score
What is everyone recommendation for a slim fitting, well constructed navy blue suit with a drop of 8? I ask here because I have a pretty large aversion to creating new threads for stupid questions, but I've suddenly found myself in need of a suit and, with a budget of around $500, am sort of afraid of getting screwed.

My second bet would probably be trying Indochino, but I'd very much like to have something that would be made of nice material and I've heard some pretty bad stories about them. I do know a few things about suits, and am basically looking for a brand or store that would carry a reputable suit for around my price range.

To iterate, I'm looking for a:
Slim-fitting (I'm not against tailoring) Navy suit
Two buttons
Medium gorge, slim-esque lapels
Medium buttonstance
Preferably brown horn buttons

Thanks in advance, fora.

Super Sneaky Edit: I live very close to both Washington, DC and Baltimore, so I know there's no shortage of stores around here.

enarchay

Reaction score
I have an extremely small wardrobe, and I'm trying to build from scratch. BB is currently having a sale on shirts, and I thought I'd buy two or four prior to the Father's Day sale in case my size goes out of stock. I was planning to get two OCBD's - one in blue, and one in pink. Does that sound good? If I could get two other shirts, what would you recommend? (I was thinking about the blue stripped OCBD, but I'm not sure for a fourth shirt.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics