• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sambarock
Question: when the button-downs caught on did all of then had the button in the back , box pleat and hook or regular BB where wore as well?

All the Ben Shermans and similar did. I don't think the button-down shirt in my picture did - it was a funny brand, end of a line, which I bought in a shop "up West".

sambarock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
All the Ben Shermans and similar did. I don't think the button-down shirt in my picture did - it was a funny brand, end of a line, which I bought in a shop "up West".

What other brands were around? Jaytex, Brutus? Was Gant available in the UK?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sambarock
What other brands were around? Jaytex, Brutus? Was Gant available in the UK?

Brutus certainly was; it was well-known for short-sleeved shirts in a very tight cross-check (I seem remember red and black on white, and brown and green on white). Brutus was the "second choice" after Ben Sherman, being a little cheaper.

Jaytex rings a bell, that's all I can say.

Blokes with a bit of money would go up West to somewhere called "The Squire Shop" in Soho, which sold American sports shirts - again short sleeved, in windowpane check. I recall I had one in blue with a yellow check, and my mate had one in yellow with a blue check. That shop was also the place to get wingtip brogues - they were beautiful, with thick leather soles. Also they stocked American penny loafers, which spurred a revival in that style (1969 and early 1970).

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More rubbish found!

1967 in Blackpool, Lancashire, before I moved down to London. The mods from the North were very much the denim jacket boys!

Blackpool.jpg

1969 in London, posing for a pic with Mark Williams (of International Times, and later founder and editor of Bike magazine). We were trying to act out skins-versus-hairies aggro, but we were both laughing so much we didn't pull it off! From a fashion point of view, I'm wearing a green close-check Ben Sherman. Sorry it's not a particularly good pic.

Williams.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still finding 'em.

I'm digging in this pic (no sh*t?). I don't know what the old checked shirt is, but I have Levis and boots on...

digging.jpg

This is my old mate "Cockney Bob". He moved down from Lancashire to London too, and became one of the first wave of skinheads there. Then he moved back up North and worked on the buses. This is just a pic for the sake of humour, not to show off the fashion (because he's in his ruddy bus conductor's gear!). He's proudly showing where he got a tooth knocked out during "bovver".

Cockney%20Bob.jpg

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
And also a question about quality of today's DMs. Everyone I know (including me) have the problem that leather cracks in creases. Different boots doesn't do it, only Martens. We have model 1919 and polish it regularly. (look at this http://img534.yfrog.com/img534/2706/dmpravazleva.jpg )

I had the same problem with my cheapie Chinese 1460s. Creasing is inevitable, but open cracking is not acceptable. I would expect this not to be an issue with the MiE docs.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
I had the same problem with my cheapie Chinese 1460s. Creasing is inevitable, but open cracking is not acceptable. I would expect this not to be an issue with the MiE docs.

From day one, try inserting shoe trees. I use these on my brogues, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work down inside boots.

Something like this: http://www.tradenote.net/images/user...Shoe_Trees.jpg

Wood is best.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
From day one, try inserting shoe trees. I use these on my brogues, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work down inside boots.

Something like this: http://www.tradenote.net/images/user...Shoe_Trees.jpg

Wood is best.

I'm using trees in my current boots (not DMs). Cracking seems to be more of a leather quality issue.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man-of-Mystery - fantastic photos. Don't want to call them 'historical documents' out of kindness. +rep for the fantastic chops in that pic from '69. Love it. Can see how much styling Kubric got for his wardrobe on Clockwork from the skinhead culture then.
clockwork-orange-0.jpg
Originally Posted by youngScholar
I'm using trees in my current boots (not DMs). Cracking seems to be more of a leather quality issue.
My new ox (and black) MIE 1460s (my first with new 'MIE' nomenclature) are creasing, but they're appearing to develop the finer wrinkling that signifies they'll soften nicely rather than crack. So my assumption is that they still use the old high-quality leather. My MIC shoes did get that cracking though, which was surely a sign of cheaper leather. The fact that the China ones are taped at the ankle opening tells me the laminated surface leather must not stay put. The England-made boots aren't taped and the leather is pretty nice stuff.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Man-of-Mystery - fantastic photos. Don't want to call them 'historical documents' out of kindness. +rep for the fantastic chops in that pic from '69. Love it. Can see how much styling Kubric got for his wardrobe on Clockwork from the skinhead culture then.

Thanks.
smile.gif
Never wore a bowler, though
biggrin.gif

More will be presented as soon as I can find a shop that can deal with colour transparencies - I just found a handful more of myself and "Cockney Bob".

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
My new ox (and black) MIE 1460s (my first with new 'MIE' nomenclature) are creasing, but they're appearing to develop the finer wrinkling that signifies they'll soften nicely rather than crack. So my assumption is that they still use the old high-quality leather.

My MIC shoes did get that cracking though, which was surely a sign of cheaper leather. The fact that the China ones are taped at the ankle opening tells me the laminated surface leather must not stay put. The England-made boots aren't taped and the leather is pretty nice stuff.

Yeah, I figured it was the inferior leather. If/when I go back to Docs, I'll make damn sure to put down extra for the MiE ones.

I'm curious if the "For Life" boots would have the cracking issue, given that the leather is pretty supple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads