• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dual Passport Holders

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
That's odd, I often leave the UK on a British passport and enter Australia on an Australian one, then travel back likewise. Australian citizens are specifically forbidden from entering Australia on a foreign passport I believe. The Poms don't really seem to care much, they glimpse the cover of the passport and just wave you through.

uk, like the US, is one of the few countries that doesn't check your passport when you leave.

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B2C2V
Would it be a problem (for US immigration checkpoint) if your departure stamp is on one passport and entry stamp is on another?

US citizens are required to enter and exit the US under their US passport.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
uk, like the US, is one of the few countries that doesn't check your passport when you leave.

OK, that's interesting to know.

I remember going to France once and being waved in, then subjected to a thorough bag search and questioning on the way out. It was as if they were really wound up about the possibility of drugs being smuggled out of the country .. a little selfish of them, I thought.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
That's odd, I often leave the UK on a British passport and enter Australia on an Australian one, then travel back likewise. Australian citizens are specifically forbidden from entering Australia on a foreign passport I believe. The Poms don't really seem to care much, they glimpse the cover of the passport and just wave you through.

Correct.
Whenever I return home I always make sure to use my Aussie one.

And getting an EU one was pricey, but would have saved me thousands in reciprocity taxes and visas over the years. Actually, $AUD600 this year alone with travels to Argentina, Brazil and other Sth American countries.

awxg

Reaction score
I have both US and Canadian. Crossing to NY is easier when using the US passport. I see little benefit in having both - especially the Canadian.

Caius

Reaction score
I'm a dual-passporter, and I can commend Saddleback Leather's passport wallets. They fit two comfortably, and they're damned well near indestructible. Affiliate link for them is at the top of the styleforum page.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i got 3 passports with a 4th in the works
bounce2.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, while I have dual citizenship, I only hold on passport - a US passport. I'm American bitches.

red120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I have both US and Canadian. Crossing to NY is easier when using the US passport. I see little benefit in having both - especially the Canadian.
On the off chance that an incident happens anywhere internationally, I'd rather be recognized as a Canadian than an American.

Canada seems to do less things to make their citizens get beheaded.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by red120
On the off chance that an incident happens anywhere internationally, I'd rather be recognized as a Canadian than an American.

Canada seems to do less things to make their citizens get beheaded.

Apart from the fact that it's nice to be able to take part in the whole democratic process in your country of residence...

jschenker

Reaction score
So far, I am a dual citizen. My parents are from El Salvador, which means that I am a citizen of that country. I am also a United States citizen and am in the works of getting my Spanish citizenship (blood lineage makes it easy).

Has anyone encountered a problem when stating place of birth for your other passport?

Brian1976

Reaction score
This one from Levenger is not specifically designed as a dual passport holder, however it looks like it would absolutely do the job. If you click on the "more photos" link under the initial picture, you will see a few more views of it, and the photo on the bottom left shows that the passport pocket is designed with a flap rather than being sewn down on all sides, so the thickness of two passports would most likely fit Im sure.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
US citizens are required to enter and exit the US under their US passport.
I've never had immigration check my passport when leaving the U.S. Yes, the airline looks at it at check-in ... primarily to be assured that I'll have what I need to get through immigration at the other end of my journey.

StolenCar

Reaction score
I hold a Canadian and a UK passport. Although born in England, I have never traveled on the UK passport. I got the UK one when I was single and thinking about working there. Now, using the UK passport to pass through lines quickly would be a no-go, as I'd be leaving my wife to wade through the non-EU lines, which would not make ours a happy marriage. And if I travel for work, I use the Cdn one, since I work for the feds. It would look suspicious for a gov't official to travel on a foreign passport.

zeeth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
First of all, "conscription?" Really?

Secondly, if you live in the US and are the right age, you should have already registered with Selective Services. Even when I was over 25 and going to grad school in the US, I had to show proof of Selective Services registration. You can get drafted whether you are a citizen or just a legal, permanent resident is what I learned.

what's the matter with conscription? and i'm a canadian citizen living in canada (mother's american (and fits all the necessary criteria), hence the eligibility) so i don't have any familiarity with what Selective Services is.

Originally Posted by red120
Be aware that Americans are responsible for taxation on worldwide income, and it remains that way for 10 years after you renounce your citizenship. So if you move to Canada and renounce your US citizenship, you're still paying taxes to the IRS for 10 years, despite benefiting from no services.

Ability to work in both countries is helpful.

Don't worry about conscription. There's not going to be a draft, if there is, you likely won't be selected, and if you're selected, you can always dodge the draft. I definitely wouldn't go overseas to die in the service of some corporation.

as mentioned above, i'm simply canadian at the moment. would i then have to start paying taxes to the irs?

thanks for the info you two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads