• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceng
see title
It depends on their relative tones, textures, weights, etc. It could range anywhere from quite bad to ok.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Sorry for the bother...I'm usually on the other side of the pond (streetwear) and I figure you guys are more suited (no pun intended...groan) to help me out...
I'm heading to a semi-formal event and I'm having some problems (trying to dress up with a little color, as I'm assuming everybody is doing the black suit/black tie/white shirt combo)

I'll be wearing:
-"indigo stripe" colored blazer (close up of the color/pattern):
IMG_3007.jpg

-A light blue shirt (not powder blue, although I guess I can do that too)
-Navy tie
-Light grey pants

Now here is where I have a problem...shoes? What would look best?
I have a pair of lighter brown oxfords that I can use, but I'm leaning towards a burgundy pair. If burgundy, is there no other belt I can wear besides burgundy? I only have brown and black belts...are these out of the question?

Also with this outfit - black shoes/belt are out of the question as well, no?

Thanks in advance!

I'd usually go for the brown shoes with the lighter grey trousers. But given that this event is formal enough for people to do black suit+tie i'd probably opt for black shoes.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wondering on Oxxford suits, many of them OTR, maybe all of them are sold with no button holes and the buttons attached. I have never looked in person at the cuffs. I am wonder are the sleeves designed to be ready for a tailor to create buttonholes? Are they lined all around the sleeve or is there a break, is there extra fabric?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
I'm trying to find a checkbook cover which would just hold checkboo on one side and hold a few cards.
Now I haven't found a place in my area who would carry them (wtf) I either find some slim ones who only have a check and bills sleeve, or those huge ones with checkbook, cards, pen, and another page sleeve for more cards. And that is if I find one without female markings.
I'm thinking I'll have to make a custom one with an old man I know who works with leather making wallets and the like.
Now before I do so, is there a place to find them online but without them costing hundreds?
I was thnking about $50 dlls for it at most. But since I can't find any....

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...tml?rcmndsrc=2

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Wear Rockports and cry beltlessly?

I have a pair of black Rockport dress shoes that I find very comfy and I think they look nice. Is this bad?

Originally Posted by onix
Spend less time online and ******** more
teacha.gif

I thought SF was supposed to make me have more sex because I will look better and thus be more attractive. Is this not what SF aims to do? What is SF's real purpose?

Anyone?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I think light brown, burgundy, or black shoes could work with that. You do need a burgundy belt for burgundy shoes, so it sounds like you're down to two choices. Especially if it's an evening event, I'd consider black shoes.

Unless you will be laying under a spotlight being examined all night - I 'd suggest that no one would be able to tell if you were wearing a brown or burgundy belt or if it matched your shoes.

99% of people there won't care even if they could tell.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Unless you will be laying under a spotlight being examined all night - I 'd suggest that no one would be able to tell if you were wearing a brown or burgundy belt or if it matched your shoes.

99% of people there won't care even if they could tell.

Perhaps that is true, but by mere virtue of posting a question in the AAQGAA thread on SF, you demonstrate that you care what that last 1% would notice and think.

anamaly

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a watch for graduation, and I'm debating between two brands:

Baume and Mercier and Longines

Three part question:

- which brand is better in quality

-leather or metal wristband-- whats the difference? do only older audiences wear leather straps?

-does a website like overstock sell legit watches?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anamaly

I don't know, so leave this to others

leather or metal wristband-- whats the difference? do only older audiences wear leather straps?
It goes well with other leather articles like shoes, suit case, gloves, etc., Also (in general), leather = dressy, metal = sporty.

Yes

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anamaly
I'm looking to get a watch for graduation, and I'm debating between two brands:

Baume and Mercier and Longines

Three part question:

-leather or metal wristband-- whats the difference? do only older audiences wear leather straps?

I would much prefer Longines, but I am unsure about the differences in quality.
Overstock is 100% legit.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Why does my collar always show above my tie? I know it is not supposed to show, but how do I fix it? Please help- this is really bothering me.

bc842

Reaction score
Is it possible to turn a 44L into a 44R without destroying the jacket? I can get a great deal on a long but need a regular.

Thanks,

B

Veefy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
At that price, you have the full range of Allen Edmonds shoes available to you at retail price, many of which are available in burgundy. Alden are probably just slightly out of your price range. Among the English makers, the higher-end shoes such as Edward Green and Crockett & Jones Handgrade are out of your price range. The lower lines from C&J or Alfred Sargent are in your price range, but it seems difficult to find many of their shoes in burgundy colors. Your price point puts you in the no man's land of about 300-600USD that separates the entry level welted/full-grain shoes from the higher-end shoes with channeled soles, higher-quality leather, nicer finishing, etc.

Thanks.

Veefy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
I would much prefer Longines, but I am unsure about the differences in quality.
Overstock is 100% legit.

Longines seems to get much more respect that Baume and Mercier from the watch snobs. Mainly on history of the company aspect and styling is more classical. I've never heard of major issues with either brands on quality.

Leather band I prefer for certain watches (aviator, military styles, regulators).

Although with leather its really another minor colour you might want to match to the rest of the outfit.. Wear as steel bracelet is a bit more universal.

Actually watches that you can easily change the band on are best.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Anyone know if the J Crew Straight Fit Vintage 5-pocket Cords are slim fit? I don't need it to be skin tight - just don't want it to be a baggy fit. Is $40 a reasonable price for them? I have seen some listed on the internets at that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads