• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes R107 (70's and 80's SL)

Mblova

Reaction score
I have an absolute obession with older MB's. I wanted to get a late 80's SEL but the parental unit vetoed that idea. ended up with a 99 c280.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
I have an absolute obession with older MB's.
Me, too. I get giddy whenever I see one, especially if it appears to be in mint condition.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have an absolute obession with older MB's. I wanted to get a late 80's SEL but the parental unit vetoed that idea. ended up with a 99 c280.

awww y0u poor baby

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
awww y0u poor baby

yeah i know.
confused.gif
What can you do, sometimes you don't get what you want.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah i know.
confused.gif
What can you do, sometimes you don't get what you want.

as long as you got a straight six in there youre good to go

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
That one is called Mercedes Pagoda over Europe.
The Pagoda image began with the earlier version of the SL, the W113. If you looked at the roof from the rear, it curved upward at the sides like a pagoda. This was because the designers wanted to maintain a sleek profile, but had to raise the roof at the sides so people could get out without it being awkward. You can see a more subdued version of this in the W107.

Mblova

Reaction score
Any of you guys fans of the R129?
SL73.JPG

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love the R129, but it's for people with the taste for that era, the E124/R129/W140 cars. Those cars are not likely to become classics in their own right, as the older chromed-out MB's from the 80's are better as 'vintage' MBs, but the blocky R129's hit the right buttons for me. Those and the W140 S-class in black/black were popular yakuza cars, on satin black Brabus tri-spokes, of course, cool for the era.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Those old SLs are beauties, I haven't seen many around but I still see a few S class models from that same era. As an aside, how has MB reliability been of late? I know it was in the toilet for a good part of the 90s and the better part of this decade. Not sure how they are doing now in this department.

henrikc

Reaction score
Lovely cars, found this one at the classifieds.
32_681175149.jpg
Not too bad price either, about $20,000, which is the price of a 5-8-year old VW Golf here in Norway.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Maybe I should pick the one I'm looking up at and send it to Norway. The difference between the $20,000 and the guys ask of 7,000 should be enough to change out the ugly bumpers for proper ones.

I've personally always been a BMW guy (thanks to the parents) and my first car was a E34 525i 5-spd that I loved. However, now that I'm in an inpractical mood, I look at these old Mercs and think they're so classically styled and don't seem to depreciate now that they're 20+ years old. The particular copy I'm looking at has 112k miles been garaged and babied for its entire life (apparently) and is only 7k!

Ay carumba.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads