• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
I'm a big fan of annotated books and Sherlock Holmes. How would you rate the annotations?

I think I have read somewhere that the Klinger edition is the ultimate Sherlock Holmes reference work, the annotations are so extensive and detailed that it really takes you forever to get through the stories. I found the annotations very good but sometimes wondered if it was really needed to explain everything in such detail. Luckily, you can take the reading piece by piece since Sherlock Holmes collected works are 50+ short stories and 4 rather thin novels.

I also found that the old style illustrations from the original publication (Strand magazine?) were to my taste. The design of these volumes is overall brilliant.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
I just finished Book 1 of Your Face Tomorrow. Wish I knew I was going to have to read all three when I started it. I liked the first one, and have purchased the second, but it should be more transparent that it is one coherent novel and not three books that can stand alone by themselves. I promised myself I would not read anything this long until I finished Against the Day, but it is too late to go back now.

laugh.gif
Volume 1 just keeps you guessing, nothing much happened in that one. I think volume 2 will make you mesmerized.

limester816

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
laugh.gif
Volume 1 just keeps you guessing, nothing much happened in that one. I think volume 2 will make you mesmerized.

Marias seems to be the next author I'm going to read-- where should I start? Also, can anyone comment whether the Spanish text is worth reading, or whether the English prose is still good? (I'm studying abroad next fall, trying to learn the language better).

grouper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
The Naked Lunch, even with how little I can relate to the book, has me captivated. Burroughs is the most interesting writer I've read in a while...

yeah, too bad burroughs gets the least amount of mainstream recognition of all the beat poets. absolutely insane writing - i hope your edition of Naked Lunch also has the appendix "letters from a master addict" (or something to that effect) with it.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
Marias seems to be the next author I'm going to read-- where should I start? Also, can anyone comment whether the Spanish text is worth reading, or whether the English prose is still good? (I'm studying abroad next fall, trying to learn the language better).

Margaret Jull Costa has won prizes and lots of praise for her translations of Marias' work. I don't read Spanish myself so depend on translations to my languages.
I would imagine that Marias is a tough read for non-native Spanish students!

I think a majority of Marias' readers will agree that his best books, excluding the trilogy, are:
A Heart So White
Tomorrow In the Battle Think On Me

My suggestion is to pick either one of these, doesn't matter which. You are likely to want to read the other straight after!
The trilogy is such a major project and (particularly volume 1) slow moving affair that I wouldn't recommend it as a start.

Sammy3

Reaction score
41377E1B05L._SS500_.jpg

Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front... Excellent so far, I love the day to day stuff. Pick up a copy if you are even a mediocre devotee of books on WWI.

jhva3

Reaction score
laugh.gif

I'm excited to start it. Thanks for the info.

milosh

Reaction score
I really loved that one! I have read almost all Murakami's novels and short stories. I rate The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles highest.

I've read Sputnik Sweetheart and After Dark and liked them both very much. I'll get The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles next. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Road%20to%20Serfdom.jpg

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
I'm currently reading this and:

snowball.jpg

I've read some of Snowball, but I don't know why I stopped reading it. Really fascinating look into Buffet's psyche. I guess it was just the size of the book. LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads