• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt not lining up

rajesh06

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an issue with the placket sides and button sides of their shirts not lining up exactly. The button side is 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer. It's not noticeable with the shirt on - but I find it a bit disconcerting when I put it on.

I am sure its not the manufacture of the shirts since all my shirts seem to be coming back this way from the cleaners. So I am guessing that it is something the cleaners are doing. I use a "generic" Asian cleaner but they do all the work in-house (which is what attracted me to them). I don't have any other issues with them (like breaking buttons) and they are convenient - so I'd rather not leave them but may have to at this point.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I encourage photogaphs.

- B

OK - I am no wiz with a camera and I don't know how to edit pictures to add markings. But here is a fairly typical example. Sorry for the large size - but its probably the only way to show this issue:
100_0874.jpg

Bentley

Reaction score
I can't see it. The buttons look to be lined up ok to me.

Towards the bottom of your shirt I can see the 1/4 inch misalignment you're referring to but I think it's simply because of the way you hve the shirt layed out. The placket with the button holes in it is curved outwards from the other placket with the buttons which then pulls it up (Hence the fact that the two plackets don't line up at the bottom of the shirt).

If it feelsl fine when you wear it, I would simply not worry about it.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
I can't see it. The buttons look to be lined up ok to me.

Towards the bottom of your shirt I can see the 1/4 inch misalignment you're referring to but I think it's simply because of the way you hve the shirt layed out. The placket with the buttons on it is curved outwards from the button holes which then pulls it up.

If it feelsl fine when you wear it, I would simply not worry about it.

I guess you'll have to trust me that it's not the curvature - though I can see how the photo implies that.

While it is not noticeable and looks / feels fine - I can definitely tell that it's not aligned when I button-up in the morning. When the shirt is hanging on my body - the button holes and buttons don't line up.

I'll try to steam the placket tomorrow and see if its just a matter of releasing the stiffness in the placket.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
I'll try to steam the placket tomorrow and see if its just a matter of releasing the stiffness in the placket.

Steaming did not work. Would be curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this - my relationship with my cleaners hangs in the balance.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
My guess is the extra row of stitching on the placket side compared to the button side is causing the length to become uneven secondary to asymmetric thread shortening. If you're dry cleaning, perhaps the chemicals are doing something to the thread? I'm just spitballing here. Maybe you can switch cleaners and experiment with a new shirt, see if it's a problem more with the shirt than with the cleaner.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
My guess is the extra row of stitching on the placket side compared to the button side is causing the length to become uneven secondary to asymmetric thread shortening. If you're dry cleaning, perhaps the chemicals are doing something to the thread? I'm just spitballing here. Maybe you can switch cleaners and experiment with a new shirt, see if it's a problem more with the shirt than with the cleaner.

Thanks - I could certainly see that as being the cause. It's just that this issue is new (I noticed it about 2 months ago) and is affecting all of the shirts I take to the cleaners (regardless of brand).

FYI - I never have my shirts dry cleaned - they are laundered and pressed.

I think I need to leave this cleaner - I really don't want to risk a new shirt.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
You can confirm by checking if your placket is puckering. Sorry it happened.

whatsinaname

Reaction score
Your shirt has checks. Line them up along the front. If one side has more checks than the other, the shirt was cut incorrectly. If not, the shirt has shrunk asymmetrically (I'd guess the placket interfacing could cause this), the fabric is crap (inconsistent weave), or something else.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
You can confirm by checking if your placket is puckering. Sorry it happened.

Plackets don't seem to be puckering.
No need to be too sorry - it is not noticeable when the shirt is on - just disconcerting when I am buttoning.

Originally Posted by whatsinaname
Your shirt has checks. Line them up along the front. If one side has more checks than the other, the shirt was cut incorrectly. If not, the shirt has shrunk asymmetrically (I'd guess the placket interfacing could cause this), the fabric is crap (inconsistent weave), or something else.

The placket interfacing seems to be the most likely explanation. Since it is happening on ALL my shirts (the shirt in the pic is a Borelli - but it has also happened to my bespokes from Barton and Donaldson, Phila and various other makers) - I don't think it's a manufacturing (cloth or cut) issue.

Is there something that a cleaner might do that would cause this - maybe excessive heat in the pressing machine?

I think I need to start going to another cleaner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads