• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: BMW repair cost horror stories...

Yimmy1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Yikes, I'm very happy someone posted this thread. I am looking for a used car, and this answered a lot of my questions.

My top 3 choices are:

1. 2004+ Acura TL
2. 2003+ Infiniti G35
3. 2003+BMW 3 Series

Looking for somewhat decent maintenance costs, and good gas mileage.

Any thoughts?

2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the Z4 M's? I'm about to buy an '07 coupe.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

They are good cars, but as with anything high performance, maintenance is necessary and can be expensive, but since you own a Jag, it will probably be a cakewalk for you. Make sure the gearbox and diff had the 1200 break-in oil-change (BMW requires this), and the car's had good maintenance: oil change and filter every 7500 miles, and diff and ****** fluids every 30K. The oil is a special BMW oil, and probably the diff, too, since it is an LSD. The S54 engine needs its valves adjusted every Inspection period, too, about 30K miles.

The rear shock mounts can go early in these cars --- you hear a clunk, but there's not a major degradation in performance.

It's also the last really good-handling car BMW made --- enjoy it!

--Andre

Smartalox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
What about the reliability of the first-generation 6-series or M6 (E24)?

Everything you need is right here: http://www.bigcoupe.com/checklist.php

Click on the 'buyer's guide'

I looked at one before I bought my e30. Known problems are
- cabin heater cores
- water pump
- cracked engine blocks

The upshot is that the bodies on these cars are dead sexy, and timeless. Swap out the engine, and you can have some REAL fun

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for newer BMWs but older ones have interence engines and so it is essential to change the timing belt at the correct intervals. If the timing belt breaks, all hell will break loose within your engine and it certainly won't be cheap to fix it.

larryr

Reaction score
Don't take a BMW to BMW for repairs. Find a good reputable shop who specializes in german cars

henrikc

Reaction score
You'll find horror stories for almost all brands. If you want it and you know that you can afford it given a decent repair cost estimate, go for it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds like a fun purchase. Looking forward to pics.

Cavalier

Reaction score

Great car, as long as you're not worried about normal repair bills (figure $1-2K a year if you drive regularly)

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Yes, because the $400+/mo in payment when sold is usually worth significantly more than the already depreciated car that you have sunk further money in by maintaining.

Purchase price + depreciation + maintenance - trade/resale = TCO

False. You're double counting depreciation.

Purchase - trade/resale = depreciation.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ your equation is not related to his equation, which was TCO (and yes you were half right)... but your avatar scares me, while making me believe it's you speaking to me (albeit in incorrect equations regarding car TCO)

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No horror story here -- I had a 1998 M3 for 6 years (bought used at 37K miles and sold with @75K miles) and had just one mechanical problem -- a bad idle control valve, which cost next to nothing to replace. I had all regular maintenance -- brakes, hoses, belts, etc. -- done according to the BMW recommended maintenance schedule and always had service done at the dealer. It was an awesome car and I reluctantly traded it a few years ago for an Audi A6 once kid #2 came along and I needed a bigger car.

gilwood

Reaction score
I know a lot of people with bimmers and most say expect to pay $1k a year in parts after 75k mi. The 3 series tends to have problems with subframe damage, losing reverse gear on auto ******, suspensions, etc. The worst is the VANOS problem, which is ultra expensive. Also, the new 3 series has a LOT of turbo problems.

Off topic, I had a 2000 honda accord and I had to replace the alternator at 60k mi ($500) and a new ****** at 140k mi ($2800). Totalled at 167k mi when rear ended.

darnelled

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Yikes, I'm very happy someone posted this thread. I am looking for a used car, and this answered a lot of my questions.

My top 3 choices are:

1. 2004+ Acura TL
2. 2003+ Infiniti G35
3. 2003+BMW 3 Series

Looking for somewhat decent maintenance costs, and good gas mileage.

Any thoughts?

I have a 2005 G35 sedan with 68k milles on it and no mecahnical issues ever. It came with a 60k/4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty that I've never used. I get about 20mpg city and 25 hwy with hard driving. I do use a lot of tires due to my driving habits and track days.

It's basically a nicer Nissan, so expect the same quality. I had a Maxima before this that I drove for 120k miles with rare mechanical issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads