• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
n146113.jpg

I discovered Javier Marias over the last year and Tomorrow in the Battle Think On Me (1994) was the first one I read. Absolutely fascinating! After a great dinner with an attractive married woman in her home, a pleasurable continuation in the bedroom is on the menu when she suddenly goes from foreplay to dying.

I then moved on to A Heart so White (1992), which was equally good (if not better) and had some clear similarities. Then Dark Back of Time (1998), which should have been read after All Souls (1989) but is understandable and readable in its own right. Some kind of semi-autobiographical novel about obscure authors, obsessions and the Redonda legend. Less good (still goood, just not brilliant) but unavoidable for those who have been captured by Marias' special style.

Most recently, I managed to complete the project of Your Face Tomorrow(2002; 2004; 2007), an 1100 page trilogy which lives in a dimension and pace of its own - after book one you don't really know what is happening and what this story is about, book two has the makings of a spy thriller but book three, fascinating as it is, doesn't take the espionage angle much further but rather retreates into a further study of the human condition and the confused soul of the main character, another Marias look-alike.

Hard to say which one is better but I have full understanding for those who say the trilogy is his masterpiece, which will eventually land Marias the Nobel Prize.

ENTREVISTA_JAVIER_MARIAS202-726806.jpg

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Roberto Bolano - 2666
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not really sure what it's about.

I guess this will be a must-read for me too but I am hesitating due to the thickness and weight of the book; I mean how do you read it in bed without getting a dimple on your chest? I started with some light doses of Bolano and can recommend two of his short novels which are both very good reads, unsettling dream-like accounts of the Pinochet regime:

Distant Star (1996)
By Night in Chile (2000)

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
Just honourably turned into SF senior member and commenced reading:
Don DeLillo - Point Omega

Another strange story fram a rather heavy-going author but the 117 pages of this thin novel leaves me undeterred. About a retired US government war planner who hangs out in the desert, looking for.....eh, redemption? Good good.

51l6PtxVC-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finished Point Omega. As baffling as expected. If anyone knows the answer to this one, I'd be interested to know via PM.

Regardless of whether or not there is a definitive answer to what actually happened in the end of this novel or indeed an answer to what DeLillo is telling us with this story, I am astonished at how the language manages to convey something about a moral and spiritual desert; a slow moving, almost endless, Psycho of the 2010s.

Can't take a bite at another DeLillo just yet, he is too heady and should be consumed with care.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this will be a must-read for me too but I am hesitating due to the thickness and weight of the book...

This would be a good option for you.

Currently reading:

41RFZWP1DVL._SS500_.jpg

51%2BY-SBckTL._SS500_.jpg

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked out a new book after DeLillo.

Miguel Syjuco - Ilustrado (2010)

This mid-30s Filipino was awarded the MAN Asian Literary Prize based on a manuscript and he has after publication got excellent reviews everywhere.
I have seen comparisons to Murakami and Bolano.
Seems to fit my requirements today.
First 8 pages are good. 300 to go.

9780374174781.jpg

J.T. Thunderbird

Reaction score
343477_Ampliada.jpg

& this was bought today
51Y-18g6eCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

limester816

Reaction score
The Naked Lunch, even with how little I can relate to the book, has me captivated. Burroughs is the most interesting writer I've read in a while...

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J.T. Thunderbird
343477_Ampliada.jpg

I love the Sherlock Holmes books. I have the New Annotated and illustrated big format Leslie Klinger edition.
Have read all the 4 novels and about half of the short stories.
Magical stuff.
Not sure which novel I like more, they are all fabulous.
Enjoy the mysteries!

jhva3

Reaction score
I discovered Javier Marias over the last year and Tomorrow in the Battle Think On Me (1994) was the first one I read. Absolutely fascinating! After a great dinner with an attractive married woman in her home, a pleasurable continuation in the bedroom is on the menu when she suddenly goes from foreplay to dying.

I then moved on to A Heart so White (1992), which was equally good (if not better) and had some clear similarities. Then Dark Back of Time (1998), which should have been read after All Souls (1989) but is understandable and readable in its own right. Some kind of semi-autobiographical novel about obscure authors, obsessions and the Redonda legend. Less good (still goood, just not brilliant) but unavoidable for those who have been captured by Marias' special style.

Most recently, I managed to complete the project of Your Face Tomorrow(2002; 2004; 2007), an 1100 page trilogy which lives in a dimension and pace of its own - after book one you don't really know what is happening and what this story is about, book two has the makings of a spy thriller but book three, fascinating as it is, doesn't take the espionage angle much further but rather retreates into a further study of the human condition and the confused soul of the main character, another Marias look-alike.

Hard to say which one is better but I have full understanding for those who say the trilogy is his masterpiece, which will eventually land Marias the Nobel Prize.

ENTREVISTA_JAVIER_MARIAS202-726806.jpg

I just finished Book 1 of Your Face Tomorrow. Wish I knew I was going to have to read all three when I started it. I liked the first one, and have purchased the second, but it should be more transparent that it is one coherent novel and not three books that can stand alone by themselves. I promised myself I would not read anything this long until I finished Against the Day, but it is too late to go back now.

jhva3

Reaction score
I love the Sherlock Holmes books. I have the New Annotated and illustrated big format Leslie Klinger edition.
Have read all the 4 novels and about half of the short stories.
Magical stuff.
Not sure which novel I like more, they are all fabulous.
Enjoy the mysteries!

I'm a big fan of annotated books and Sherlock Holmes. How would you rate the annotations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads