• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
George Costanza's mom won't ride in a german car, and I'm pretty sure she's not the only one.

George Costanza's Mom????

Who would have imagined she'd show up as a point of reference on SF?

LMAO

laugh.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
I won't wear anything by Hugo Boss. My grandmother was jewish, and lived in eastern europe during the holocaust (far enough east to have survived), but that has nothing to do with it.

My wife knows a woman who survived Auschwitz, and was forced to sew nazi uniforms designed by Hugo Boss. My grocer is a holocaust survivor. Tattoos on his arm. The shame I would feel if he were to see me wearing a Boss suit like it's a status symbol and something to be proud of makes it impossible for me to consider buying one. I don't hate on anyone else who wears Boss, I just can't do it myself. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same aversion to other german companies, but there you go.

Also, I'm not a fan of german tailoring. Especially how they do shoulders.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I love your forum name. Big South Park fan here.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?

Great point made...Ethical investment was not a concept en vogue in Germany during the thirties..

Big companies were chasing orders and the closer you were getting to the Nazis, the more money you were able to make..

It would have been impossible for any company to refuse working for the government...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
I won't wear anything by Hugo Boss. My grandmother was jewish, and lived in eastern europe during the holocaust (far enough east to have survived), but that has nothing to do with it.

My wife knows a woman who survived Auschwitz, and was forced to sew nazi uniforms designed by Hugo Boss. My grocer is a holocaust survivor. Tattoos on his arm. The shame I would feel if he were to see me wearing a Boss suit like it's a status symbol and something to be proud of makes it impossible for me to consider buying one. I don't hate on anyone else who wears Boss, I just can't do it myself. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same aversion to other german companies, but there you go.

Also, I'm not a fan of german tailoring. Especially how they do shoulders.

ffffuuuu.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum)
I love a bargain price ... but finding a bargain price on something I actually want is rare. So while I love a bargain ... I mostly like full price.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I see a "Downfall" parody here..."All you who have purchased Kiton, Brioni or bespoke leave now!"

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum) Everything else is trash, and needs to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise.
Absolutely not true. Style forum (or, SF for short) also loves all other Italian bespoke tailoring (and far from just suits), especially the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations (all of these tailoring operations get equal amounts of love on SF just as much as they are equally handmade). And, SF does not just love Italian bespoke tailoring in Italy but SF also loves all Italian bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA and Paris, France). SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, again, far from just suits), especially if it is Ozwald Boateng (but only those can tolerate his outlandish fabrics) and Andrew Ramroop/Maurice Sedwell (or AR/MS for short). Both of these tailoring operations (who are just as handmade as the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations) get equal amounts of love (and just as much love as the five Italian tailoring operations mentioned above) from SF just as much as they are equally handmade. However, Ozwald Boateng (or OB for short), again, only gets this kind of love from SF members who can tolerate his outlandish fabrics (which, apparently, is 80% of OB's production and sales). Of course, SF does not just love a lot of English bespoke tailoring in England but SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA). All of the above regarding SF's tremendous fondness (rivaling, matching or maybe even exceeding Chris Tucker's Smokey characters tremendous fondness for that wonderful drug called marijuana in the movie Friday; cannabis, FWIW, very, very, very badly needs to be legalized worldwide ASAP!!!!!
bigstar[1].gif
smile.gif
worship.gif
, but that is a whole other topic) for all Italian and a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, yet again, far from just suits) is particularly true if the prices are multiple thousands of Euros (Italian), Pounds (English), Dollars (in this case, USA) and all other currencies. Everything else being trash, and needing to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise in the opinions of 80-95% of the members SF is absolutely 100% true, I'm afraid.
frown.gif
However, I am not one of them. Off topic, but Friday (1995) is now just as much of a classic as or more of a classic than Caddyshack (1980) and National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983).

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*bypasses the entire thread*

**** quality.

I wasted a few hundred on a Hugo beater suit a while back that had a retail price of over a thousand. After 4 wears it started to bubble and the lapels started to curl up. I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Hugo suit now.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
*bypasses the entire thread*

**** quality.

I wasted a few hundred on a Hugo beater suit a while back that had a retail price of over a thousand. After 4 wears it started to bubble and the lapels started to curl up. I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Hugo suit now.

Sorry to hear that, CharlesAlexander.

-Norton-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
George Costanza's mom won't ride in a german car, and I'm pretty sure she's not the only one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

politico

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Absolutely not true.

Style forum (or, SF for short) also loves all other Italian bespoke tailoring (and far from just suits), especially the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations (all of these tailoring operations get equal amounts of love on SF just as much as they are equally handmade). And, SF does not just love Italian bespoke tailoring in Italy but SF also loves all Italian bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA and Paris, France).

SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, again, far from just suits), especially if it is Ozwald Boateng (but only those can tolerate his outlandish fabrics) and Andrew Ramroop/Maurice Sedwell (or AR/MS for short). Both of these tailoring operations (who are just as handmade as the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations) get equal amounts of love (and just as much love as the five Italian tailoring operations mentioned above) from SF just as much as they are equally handmade. However, Ozwald Boateng (or OB for short), again, only gets this kind of love from SF members who can tolerate his outlandish fabrics (which, apparently, is 80% of OB's production and sales). Of course, SF does not just love a lot of English bespoke tailoring in England but SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA).

All of the above regarding SF's tremendous fondness (rivaling, matching or maybe even exceeding Chris Tucker's Smokey characters tremendous fondness for that wonderful drug called marijuana in the movie Friday; cannabis, FWIW, very, very, very badly needs to be legalized worldwide ASAP!!!!!
bigstar[1].gif
smile.gif
worship.gif
, but that is a whole other topic) for all Italian and a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, yet again, far from just suits) is particularly true if the prices are multiple thousands of Euros (Italian), Pounds (English), Dollars (in this case, USA) and all other currencies.

Everything else being trash, and needing to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise in the opinions of 80-95% of the members SF is absolutely 100% true, I'm afraid.
frown.gif
However, I am not one of them.

Off topic, but Friday (1995) is now just as much of a classic as or more of a classic than Caddyshack (1980) and National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983).

Friday rules.

You're a genius

Made in California

Reaction score
Friday rules.

You're a douche. I think, or this might be some elaborate joke that I don't nderstand.

He extrapolated on your point and made the statement more accurate.

Don't you think?

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Thank god, one guy with a brain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads